Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HAY Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/13/07 04:49 PM
I stumbled across this the other day and thought I would share. It's not that pretty but neat idea. I like the first comment on the page below the article...

Indoor Pool Conversion

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/13/07 04:55 PM
I've seen that before, pretty cool conversion. \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/13/07 07:12 PM
That would never work down our way...the shallow ground water level here would eventually float the concrete structure of the pool out of the ground. Neat idea but not my taste.
Posted By: NOLAGT Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/14/07 01:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrotherBob
That would never work down our way...the shallow ground water level here would eventually float the concrete structure of the pool out of the ground. Neat idea but not my taste.

Aint that the truth!
Posted By: 902599 Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/14/07 02:36 PM
It would also give you some protection while your watching the "wizard of oz" in case there is a tornado.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/15/07 12:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: NOLAGT
 Originally Posted By: BrotherBob

Aint that the truth!

It is indeed! I'd love to have a basement, but with the water table about 2 feet below ground level, we would be back to the indoor pool thing pretty quick.

Scott
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/15/07 03:59 PM
Very interesting!

A few observations...

1. I wonder how it sounds?
2. Seems like a lost opportunity to build in one hella subwoofer somewhere.
3. That was a really odd pool; it looks like half of it was only about 1.5' deep?!?
4. That's a darn dangerous drop-off from the pool deck into the main seating area; I'm betting the building inspector would prefer some railings.
5. That's a huge area; it makes the screen look small. Doesn't the screen seem a bit high for the front viewing area?

Still, I'm picking nits. It is a creative and ingenious adaptation of the space.

But, you know, as a Swim Club guy, loss of any pool makes me sad. \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/15/07 04:07 PM
tom, I agree with many of your observations....

Seems like a good idea that went bad.

I guess the owner wanted to keep it like a real theater experience: those on the front row will have a stiff neck for the next week!

It also seems like the back row is way above the speakers... this can't be good for sound can it?
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/15/07 04:23 PM
 Quote:
4. That's a darn dangerous drop-off from the pool deck into the main seating area...

"Great movie, I'll bring more wine... <minutes later> er, honey were are you? I cant see sh#t .... arrggg!!"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Leaking Pool = New Home Theater - 10/15/07 08:08 PM
I'm with Tom on the general "not living up to its potential" feel of the space. I would have build a sturdy wooden floor over the pool and usef the cavity to create a massive multi-driver subwoofer. That would get you a sub and bass shaker all in one. Also, a larger screen is a must for that kind of room.

Boooo. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards