Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Khan Motorsport Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 03:43 PM
I've always wondered why we only arrange speakers around us. Certainly with 7.1 (and matrixed 9.1 even for those with side-axis outputs from pre/pro's like Sunfire and whatnot) we have enough sound fill on all sides.

I think the next logical step is to put a speaker on the roof pointing down for bullets and flyby effects.

I mean, think about it, how cool would it be. If they could encode it properly, explosions, flybys, bullets and other effects would take on a whole new level of realism.

My 2Cents (2.07 US)
Posted By: grunt Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 08:45 PM
Something like this?

http://www.nhk.or.jp/digital/en/superhivision/img/fig05.gif

Linked from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22.2
Posted By: Khan Motorsport Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 09:01 PM
yeah something like that...but i guess with a LOT fewer speakers for home use \:\)

but the speaker in the roof idea is what i was alluding to
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 09:01 PM
16 times the resolution of current hd? Nobody can see that good, what a waste of money.

also, how can you have 22 speakers and only 2 subs? at least 4 is needed!

Posted By: CV Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 09:07 PM
Not a total waste! Think of the easter eggs they could hide in the picture. Only people with large projection screens would be able to find them when they pause and go up to the screen to look. That's worth a new format for me.
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/18/07 10:42 PM
 Quote:
also, how can you have 22 speakers and only 2 subs? at least 4 is needed!

that was the first thing i thought too!.
While we're on the topic why aren't there floor speakers? better yet, some hover speakers that way they move with the sound so all you would really need is 2 speakers that fly around the room \:\)
Posted By: ctown Re: Why No Speaker In The Ceiling? - 11/19/07 04:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
16 times the resolution of current hd? Nobody can see that good, what a waste of money.

Not if the screen is 30 ft wide. Or if somebody has too much money to start with. Tons of people buy stuff because they think more expensive means its better.

I saw this article last year and like when somebody is holding off buying a HDTV until 1080P comes down in price because its "the best resolution" out there. There is always gonna be something better... like 4360P
© Axiom Message Boards