Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Saturn Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 03:53 AM
Anyone running this yet?
Any sound differences to DD or DTS?
Can you run this with HDMI 1.2a or do you truly need 1.3?
Posted By: richeydog Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 05:20 AM
I have never heard DD+ or TrueHD because I don't have an HDMI receiver...But, my Toshiba HD-A2 down-mixes these codecs to DTS 1.5mbps and I can tell a difference in how it sounds. Fuller, smoother, and richer.

The movies I've seen since buying my HD player that have fantastic audio tracks:
-Serenity
-Training Day
-The Ant Bully
-Van Helsing

Not as good:
-Corpse Bride(was a little better than standard dolby digital)

With HD DVD, all you need is a HDMI 1.1 receiver to get DD+ and TrueHD. Or a receiver with analog inputs/paired with a dvd player with analog outputs.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 10:13 AM
All you need in 1.1. 1.2 is for DSD direct on HDMI. You need to make sure the video speed is sufficient for the PCM multi-channel to pass (at least 720p)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 06:18 PM
Imo having the ability to hear the new HD sound formats is a big part in the HD Home Theatre experience. The new formats are crisper and cleaner almost like the difference between SD and HD.
Posted By: Bayne Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 07:35 PM
The difference is amazing. Like HomeDad said, it's crisper. The highs and lows are much more defined. The electrical crackle in the opening scenes of the Matrix movies on HD-DVD is quite nice. Much more defined than the DVD. Remember, high-def audion is not compressed. It's not as big a difference as going from MP3's to CD's, but's it's darn close.

It's like 7.1... Once you experience it, it's hard to go back.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 08:13 PM
Now we have to start doing A/B tests on HD vs. non-HD sound formats \:\) .
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 08:21 PM
sheesh, must...resist...upgraditus...
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 08:31 PM
I’ve been enjoying the heck out the TrueHD for a while now, with the player decoding it and sending my receiver an uncompressed, multi channel PCM output. And now that my audio processor decodes this verses the player, there’s even more ways to enjoy it. DDTruHD, when decoded at the receiver has some added functions verses the player decoding and sending a PCM multi channel format to the audio processor. You can go into the surround properties options and do all sorts of cool things. I’m still playing with this and haven’t quite figured it all out, so I’ll not comment further….yet. I’m waiting for a new BR player to ship so I can play with DTS-HD:M.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 08:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal

Resistance is futile...
Posted By: Bayne Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 09:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Now we have to start doing A/B tests on HD vs. non-HD sound formats \:\) .

That was the first thing I did when I got my HD-DVD player. I A/B'd the Matrix trilogy and Batman Begins. Be warned: Do not attempt lest you're willing to upgrade. The improvement in picture is amazing on a big enough screen, but the difference in sound will make you believe a man can fly.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/22/07 09:56 PM
 Quote:
And now that my audio processor decodes this verses the player, there’s even more ways to enjoy it.

Now you had to go and tell us that \:\)
Posted By: Saturn Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 03:35 AM
Great info guys.

Unfortuntely I realized I cant return the receiver 1.2a HDMI..past the 30 days. I can always use the 6-7 cables and let the player decode it and check out DD TrueHD via the 7.1 input.

Thanks all.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 04:00 AM
If your player decodes it you should be able to send it to your receiver by HDMI via PCM. My receiver is HDMI 1.1 and I get the HD sound formats fine.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 04:32 AM
Saturn, what player and receiver do you have?
Posted By: Saturn Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 05:51 AM
You can see the setup on my link below.

Pioneer VSX-1017TXV-K

The HD player is up in the air but mostlikely a Toshiba HD player.
Soon to get the Benq W500 projector.

Homedad: Are you actually getting Dolby TrueHD format or Dolby TrueHD format downmixed to DD/DTS? Your reciever might be playing the compressed DD/DTS track rather than the lossless Dolby TrueHD format. Im just guessing in these assumptions.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 10:04 AM
To get hi-res multi-channel audio through HDMI, you just need HDMI 1.1.
Posted By: Murph Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 02:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal

Resistance is futile...

Especially when 7 of 9 says it...
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 04:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Saturn

Homedad: Are you actually getting Dolby TrueHD format or Dolby TrueHD format downmixed to DD/DTS? Your reciever might be playing the compressed DD/DTS track rather than the lossless Dolby TrueHD format. Im just guessing in these assumptions.

If the player decodes the formats, it will send them uncompressed as multi-channel PCM over HDMI. If you use coax or optical, then you are restricted to the core tracks.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 05:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
 Originally Posted By: Saturn

If the player decodes the formats, it will send them uncompressed as multi-channel PCM over HDMI. If you use coax or optical, then you are restricted to the core tracks.

but your receiver must be able to accept 7.1 channels over HDMI. If you are like me (Denon 2307 CI), you can only receive 6.1 over HDMI so you must use 7.1 ext in (with the player doing the decoding) to enjoy True HD or DTS HD.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 05:44 PM
There is no doubt I'm getting the HD sound formats, the difference is pretty profound when switching back and forth from non HD to HD. The receiver will show this as PCM rather than the usual screen of DTS or DD when connected by HDMI.
I'm just a bit envious of the new receivers that will decode and give a few more fun options.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 06:18 PM
You must be joining the party a little late. I’ve been on the front line of this for over a year now and have gone through five different HDMI receivers so far.

But yes, you are correct. There are numerous first, second and third generation HDMI equipped audio processors that have their own unique limitations including the ability to accept 6 or 7 channel M-PCM. I’m just getting a little tired of repeating the same thing over, and over, and over again. I’m posting less and less as I get more bored with that subject, or any other that’s been beat to death.

Don't worry Micheal, your hearing HBR audio. I'm not ready to sell anyone on a 1.3 audio processor yet. The extra's might prove to be a waste. But if there is a noticable improvement, you're the first one I tell. \:\)
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Dolby TrueHD or DD Plus - 11/23/07 06:25 PM
\:D
© Axiom Message Boards