Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vassillios Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:13 PM
...and I don't really want to go beyond this hypothetical scenario...

2 axiom amps
- Amp 1, to run a left and right M80 and 4 QS8 surrounds (bi-wiring the M80's)
- Amp 2, to wire 2 center channels

Which would be the best scenario:

amp 1 - have a y splitter out of the pre-amp into the amp for the M80's (in effect creating 2 channels for one), or wire in series/parallel out of one channel (ie, have a y splitter for the left and right and use the individual channels to bi-wire, or use one channel and wire in series or parallel)

amp 2 - have 2 center channels and y split out of the pre amp and use the individual channels for each center.

Is y splitting out of a pre-amp into an amp, creating two powered channels even possible? Signal degradation?

If money were no object, would this be the best solution, or would wiring in parallel/series be the best option? Is a second amp really even neccessary? Can all this wiring be done with 1 amp?

Just curious....I bought a lottery ticket and i'm feeling lucky ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:28 PM
y-splitting is just fine, but I don't think a second amp is necessary at all. As I understand it passive bi-amping (which this would be) would merely give you more headroom. Do you really need more headroom when you've got 1400 watts/channel to work with?
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:37 PM
I should have prefaced the post with the fact that I have no Idea what I'm talking about.

I was just curious what would be the best solution with the requirements ie:

Bi-wiring the M80's and running 2 center channels (possibly 2 M22's and 1 VP150)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:47 PM
Er... you don't get 1400W/channel. It's 1400W total that can spike high as per their spec sheet with 2/4 Ohms, but is essentially there to drive multiple channels.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:47 PM
Our friend Peakjunkie in Manhattan Beach, CA is running 10 speakers from his A1400-8. I can't imagine that biwiring or even biamping a pair of M80's would be more of a load than four M22's.

Quote:
2 center channels (possibly 2 M22's and 1 VP150)

Umm, that sounds like "three" \:\) Overkill, IMO. I think Ian and Amie have 2 VP150's (one above and one below). That seems about right to me.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Er... you don't get 1400W/channel. It's 1400W total that can spike high as per their spec sheet with 2/4 Ohms, but is essentially there to drive multiple channels.

right, but I think his point is that you CAN get 1400 to any given channel if needed (as long as no other channels need any power).
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:54 PM
Read the specs...
Power (1 channel driven)
8 ohms - 350 watts
4 ohms - 700 watts
2 ohms - 1,200 watts
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Our friend Peakjunkie in Manhattan Beach, CA is running 10 speakers from his A1400-8. I can't imagine that biwiring or even biamping a pair of M80's would be more of a load than four M22's.

Quote:
2 center channels (possibly 2 M22's and 1 VP150)

Umm, that sounds like "three" \:\) Overkill, IMO. I think Ian and Amie have 2 VP150's (one above and one below). That seems about right to me.

the 2 M22's would be wired in parallel/series and the VP150 by itself, so in effect 2 channels
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 05:56 PM
0 ohms = 1400

just kidding
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 06:09 PM
That's still 3 center channels, as far as speakers go. Sounds like a good way to obviate the left and right channels.

In any case, 350 watts/channel on average should be quite sufficient headroom wise, as it is extraordinarily unlikely that all 8 channels would need to peak at the same time. At least, I wouldn't want to be in the room when that happened.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 06:23 PM
how would it obviate the left/right channels? There was a post recently where it was determined that 2 M22's would be a good thing (at least to the ears of the testers) and that adding a VP150 would round out the center effect.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 06:26 PM
It just seems like you're using so many speakers for the center, you'll just end up with mono sound. Not to mention placement problems--push those 2 M22s out too far, you've got the same problem with mono. They'll be right next to the r/l channels!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 06:42 PM
I think Ken's on the right track. It really depends A LOT on the room. I think it would be important to keep separation between the center and the mains, and also to have a fairly focused, coherent image for the center. Remember that a previous generation VP150 was a different array (MTMTM), which was abandoned in favor of the current configuration (TMMMT). That was a relatively subtle change compared to what you're considering, but was obviously quite important in Axiom's analysis. More drivers splattered all over the place is not necessarily "better".
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 07:44 PM
odd that non of this was brought up in the other thread. and is it really that subtle compared to a TWWWWT configuration?
Posted By: vassillios Re: Let's say money were no option... - 12/04/07 07:51 PM
By the way Mr Tuttle, I like your sig (being a brewer myself).
© Axiom Message Boards