Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hansang Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/07/07 06:07 PM
I just received my free movie offers for buying my BD-P1400. I picked The Flight of the Phoenix. Wow does this movie have some serious LFE!! The storms in the desert, the plane crashes etc. were outstanding!!!! the movie was so/so/ok, but the sound effects during the storms etc. were outstanding. If you want to show off your EP500/600, this is the movie!

I couldn't find the other "best move for.." thread. We should have one sticky for that.
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/07/07 07:02 PM
Is the movie any good though?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/07/07 07:03 PM
You should know better than that. That sort of thing doesn't matter around here! ;\)
Posted By: michael_d Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/07/07 07:14 PM
The HD-DVD version of the Frighteners has an excellent LFE track. I just watched it last night and was very impressed. It's in DD+.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/07/07 08:01 PM
The movie itself was OK. Not great, not terrible. I would have given it a 3 out of 5. I like Dennis Quaid so it was OK for me.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/08/07 04:07 PM
Denis Quade was in it? We talking about the same movie? This one has Michael J Fox and Peter Jackson produced / directed it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/08/07 04:29 PM
Mike, Hansang was talking about "Flight of the Phoenix."
Posted By: vassillios Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/08/07 10:39 PM
There is this point in Spider Man 3 (could I be anymore vague?) that has produced some of the lowest levels I have heard in a while. I think it was the point when the particulate matter thing-a-ma-gig was starting up.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/08/07 11:59 PM
I've said it a dozen times before in other threads, but Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World with Russell Crowe contains some wicked bass in the opening naval battle. The first battle between his ship and his enemy, the Acheron. When they exchange cannon fire, I have had pictures fall off the walls. Incredible, raw, and viscous bass that will not only test your sub but also your home construction.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 01:56 AM
Get yourself a copy of "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson and report back about the LFE there. That's the first DVD off the shelf when it's time to show off a bit.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 03:00 AM
Just watched Transformers with my kids, now that has some serious stomping, explosive, LFE. \:\)
Posted By: Hansang Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 04:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
Get yourself a copy of "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson and report back about the LFE there. That's the first DVD off the shelf when it's time to show off a bit.

I dislike Liam Neeson so much that I don't know if I can pull the trigger! Cars (Disney/Pixar) is very good for surround/LFE as well. And it's a helluva movie!

I'll have to put that Russell Crowe (Masters/commanders) on my Netflix list though.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 04:33 AM
The force is weak with you! \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 04:54 AM
 Quote:
Get yourself a copy of "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson

Ray, ummm, hello? Catherine Zeta-Jones? You man card is hereby revoked until further notice.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 04:57 AM
Maybe Ray didn't have his glasses on and couldn't tell the difference between the two. Kept thinking, "Wow, Catherine really changed her voice for this movie? What an actress!"
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/09/07 06:26 PM
Catherine has a voice????

If you can't get past Liam, let's try Tom Cruise and War of the Worlds.

One's objective of LFE is critical to the choice here, NOT the actor.

BTW - if you are a bit adventurous and want to do some downloads via ftp, this thread is pretty neat. Somewhere in the thread is an expalanation by "swithey" of how to do the whole ftp thing.

A short summary - some of the AVS denizens have created a series of demo DVDs designed to show off aspects of a system (LFE, DTS, 5.1, Dolby, etc.). They are done pretty well in an amateur-ish kind of way and are pretty entertaining (you can also download covers for DVD cases). I have the 26 demo disks and the compilation disk.

Here is a summary site that will give you some information. This link titled "HT Demo Disc Summary.doc is a list of the contents of each disk.

Demo disc 2 is an LFE treasure and 5& 8 provide some nice variety.

EDIT - Adding a link to some pretty specific FTP tools/info in the demo thread.

If you have the equipment to burn a DVD, these things are really worth a look.

As an aside - if you REALLY want to know which movies have LFE/bass - knock yourself out
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 05:13 AM
 Quote:
Just watched Transformers with my kids, now that has some serious stomping, explosive, LFE. \:\)

YES! during the big fight in the City there's a point where a transformer prepares to jump over something. Best Bass/LFE whatever the technical term for "my house shaking like mad, windows about to burst, feel the pressure in the room change" scenes I've ever seen in a movie!
Posted By: Hansang Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 06:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:
Get yourself a copy of "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson

Ray, ummm, hello? Catherine Zeta-Jones? You man card is hereby revoked until further notice.

Well, that changes EVERYTHING! Catherine Zeta-Jones outweighs my dislike for Liam by an order of magnitude!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 06:37 AM
Just watched the live free or die hard movie.

Definitely some LFE in that one!

The bass was extremely clean and loud during most of the scenes, but there was about 2 times during the movie that I heard a rattle comming from my ep500. I was getting a rattle from my sub but after tightening the hex screws on the amp plate I thought I had cured it.

MY sub is calibrated to 75 db at -12 on the denon, but I upped it to -8 during the movie. After I heard the rattle I replayed the explosion at the proper -12db and there was still a slight rattle.

Is this normal?

It seems like if I push on the amp plate the rattle goes away. I do not think I can tighten the screws any more
Posted By: jakewash Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 06:40 AM
I know Tex gets a little rattle from his EP600 and he puts that beaver on it to help stop it. Maybe try something heavy on the top of yours to see if it helps with case harmonics.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 07:49 AM
The beaver does help a lot. I'm surprised to hear this about the 500.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 08:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I know Tex gets a little rattle from his EP600 and he puts that beaver on it to help stop it.

Beaver? What the heck are you guys talking about?
Posted By: richeydog Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 08:54 AM
edit: double post

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 12:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: richeydog
Beaver? What the heck are you guys talking about?

Simple. Mojo has a Beaver. You didn't know?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 03:32 PM
He's not shy about it either. Anybody could walk by and see it in plain sight. It's hard to miss.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 06:03 PM
Did he just have it stuffed?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 06:24 PM
Tex, it might be time to post another pic of your big shiny beaver.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 07:01 PM
So, for anyone that hasn't seen it before, what do you think?

Posted By: CV Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 07:05 PM
It looks like it should be crawling up your wall.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 07:28 PM
Looks like... something that's worth 10 years in the same company... ?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 08:57 PM
Actually, stuffng beavers is pretty much right at the TOP of my list of things I really like to do.

Posted By: mastaplaya Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 09:37 PM
Actually, stuffng beavers is pretty much right at the TOP of my list of things I really like to do.

LOL \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: Ajax Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/10/07 10:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray's_angry_wife
Oh man! I hope that really was Deb and not just Ray pretending to be Deb. Cuz if it was Deb, then the big guy is in deep doo doo.
Sic 'im Deb!
Posted By: ctown Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/11/07 01:51 AM
Man, I always get to posts too late.

First of all. The best Cath Zeta Jones movie is "Entrapment" where she puts on some tights and tries to steal stuff or something....but she puts on some tights and contorts around some lazer beams. I think that is the main plot of the movie if I remember correctly \:\)

Next, Mojo's beaver is very discrete as I was just at his place yesterday and never noticed it. Maybe I'm just too used to it as I've probably seen too many from my youth as a fur trapper.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/11/07 02:01 AM
It's funny that you mention that you didn't notice it. No one notices it. They look at the 600 but never notice the beaver.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/11/07 02:03 AM
You got that right, Eric.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/11/07 02:08 AM
[snip]
BTW - if you are a bit adventurous and want to do some downloads via ftp, this thread is pretty neat. Somewhere in the thread is an expalanation by "swithey" of how to do the whole ftp thing.

Hey, thanks for that!
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/11/07 04:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack

No kidding! I finally watched that movie this weekend too while stuck inside during the ice storm - we have no trees left here \:\(

That scene towards the end when they're fighting in the city and Starscream transforms overhead, I don't know if I've heard bass lower than that before. Super low sweep. Stuff all over the house vibrated.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/12/07 02:40 AM
Hansang - if you chase any of those demo DVDs down, please report back.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Movie with some serious LFE/Bass - 12/12/07 05:28 AM
Hansang - if you chase any of those demo DVDs down, please report back.

will do. Burning demo5 disc as I type this.
© Axiom Message Boards