Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Klugger dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 04:32 PM
Is it just me or does music sound better on a sub without dsp?
Posted By: alan Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 04:54 PM
Hi Klugger,

It depends on how well the DSP is implemented. If it's an Axiom DSP sub (EP400, 500, 600), music is excellent and so are movie low-frequency effects.

It may be just you or your room or the subwoofer placement if you changed it at all. However, if it's another brand of DSP subwoofer, it could be less-than-ideal implementation of a DSP algorithm.

In double-blind listening tests I've conducted with Axiom's DSP subs and subs from other manufacturers, the Axioms are more linear and consistent as the deep bass frequencies get deeper. I've never detected any difference in "musicality" of our DSP subs and non-DSP subs, unless you count deeper smoother bass from the DSP subs as being more musical.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 05:39 PM
Or, it could be a troll!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 06:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Or, it could be a troll!

That was my thought as well.
Posted By: doormat Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 08:04 PM
Why does every comment that goes against the grain automatically a troll? I realize that it's from a first time poster, but I have also been wondering what is so all fired important about this mystical DSP algoritm with which we can no longer live without? Now, I haven't really done a whole lotta research into it, but further digitization can't always be the answer can it? Sound is still analog.

Besides, they just shipped my non-DSP EP350.
Posted By: CV Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 08:10 PM
I think the problem with this post is that it's trying to be dismissive of all DSP implementations without any reasoning to back it up. I'm sure there's a wide variation in DSP effectiveness.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 08:32 PM
The fact it's a first time poster who posts one thing--a potentially inflammatory, generalized statement. Doesn't introduce himself, and has nothing in his profile. Makes me kind of suspicious.
Posted By: RickF Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 09:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: doormat
Why does every comment that goes against the grain automatically a troll? I realize that it's from a first time poster, but I have also been wondering what is so all fired important about this mystical DSP algoritm with which we can no longer live without? Now, I haven't really done a whole lotta research into it, but further digitization can't always be the answer can it? Sound is still analog.

Besides, they just shipped my non-DSP EP350.

Troll.

\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: doormat Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 09:36 PM
Not saying the post isn't trolling, but just to hijack this thread into a discussion of DSP, what exactly does the DSP offer in standard usage? Not hacking on it, just have never heard two subs comparatively (other than my good PDR10 vs my crappy RCA 8").

I've read Alan's article ( http://www.axiomaudio.com/digitalsubwoofer.html ) and from what I gather, "It automatically corrects any slight deviations of the big woofer away from the design goal, and it also prevents the subwoofer amplifier from exceeding its output limits and going into distortion." So we get a bit of correction and a limiter (you can crank it to 11 if you like, but it's still only playing at 10 Yeah, yeah, I know, headroom). I can certainly see a use for that but is it $400 better? How much benefit does it entail on a medium sized room at non-eviction levels? As for correction, how much deviation is there in well designed subs anyway?
Posted By: doormat Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 09:47 PM
And for the record I have noted my lack of rationality in being able to easily justify spending $650 on a sub I don't need but not $1050 for a better sub I don't need.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/08/07 11:03 PM
It is just you Klugger.
Posted By: Mojo Re: dsp or no dsp? - 12/09/07 04:39 AM
Engineering any system is all about maintaining control within specified functional, performance and quality constraints. The use of a DSP permits the physical system consisting of driver and cabinet to be operated as close to its physical limits as possible, throughout its frequency range, with minimal losses in functionality, performance and quality. Hence excellent control. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't find a non-DSP sub that sounds better than any DSP sub. But, can you find a non-DSP sub that does as well with movies as music in large and small venues? If you do, let us know.
© Axiom Message Boards