Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Denon reciever problem - 12/08/07 07:59 PM
I can't run a test tone. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: vassillios Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/08/07 10:36 PM
Whoa! Could this be any more vague? To get an accurate answer, please post the model and the steps you are currently using and are not producing the results you are expecting.

Just trying to help you get an accurate answer.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 01:28 PM
Sorry about that. My model is a 3801. I am just simply pushing the "test tone" button on my remote, and if I go through the on-screen display still nothing happens. Upon trying to rectify the problem last night I noticed that I have a hum coming from my speakers on either setting (stereo/7.1). It's odd because the hum wasn't there last time and I haven't made any changes. I tried unplugging my sub, my satellites coaxial input, and moving my components plugs around without any success. The hum stops when I turn either my amp or receiver off. It also stops if I mute my receiver or change the input to PCM (no audio though).

Sorry again about the ambiguity. I was in a hurry.

Thanks for your help
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 05:56 PM
It is likely you will need to get into the set up menu and find the part of that menu that has the test tones. Then the test tone button should work.

Just going out on a limb here - did you crack open the manual and sneak a peek? ;\)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 07:48 PM
yes I have looked at the manual many times even though I am very familiar with this receiver, having it for so long. I cannot run the test tones through the on-screen display either.

I forgot to mention something else regarding the humming noise. It gets louder when the microwave is being run. Even if I switch everything to my separate 20 amp circuit I still get a hum.
Posted By: maphiker Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 08:36 PM
It sounds like the hum may be unrelated to the test tones.
If nothing else works you may want to try resetting the receiver. There should be instructions on how to do it in the manual. Usually you have to turn on the receiver while holding down a couple buttons. However, you will lose all your settings if you do this.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 09:25 PM
When I push "test tone" on my Denon 2805 remote nothing happens either. I've always gone into the setup menu.

Push Setup on the remote.

Scroll down to Speaker Setup and select the Enter button to enter that category.

Scroll down to Channel Levels and hit Enter.

Select either Auto or Manual. I like manual as I can then go from speaker to speaker at my own pace.

Then scroll down to Tone Start and select Enter.

Of course you need an SPL meter to help as well.

Your steps may be different for that model.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 10:09 PM
I tried that. The "test tone" button on my remote has always worked. I just purchased a SPL meter :-). That's how I found out my current problems.

I just found out that when my satellite was hooked up last week, the technician somehow changed my cables around so now I get audio for my DVD and CD player when my receiver is set to CD(no audio from my DVD player when set to DVD on the receiver). Would this cause any problems?

As you probably know I'm handicapped and can't switch my cables around etc. This is one of the times when owning a home theater really sucks. I have to wait for competent hands :-)

Thanks
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 10:19 PM
Just spoke with my friend on the phone who was trying to rectify this problem with me last night. He reminded me that when he unplugged the coaxial cable from the back of my satellite receiver and plugged it back in, there were odd noises coming from my speakers, feedback?. It also happened when he disconnected and reconnected the coaxial at the joiner where the cable enters the house.

Trying to be as detailed as possible
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/09/07 11:13 PM
Wow, I'm not sure what to say, maybe someone else will chime in. To bad one of us Axiom buddies does not live near you. \:\)

There is also the reset option of your Denon, to set it back to factory defaults? If you look in the troublshooting section in the manual, it describes how you hold down a few buttons near the main power switch, while you turn off/on the unit. This may help, not sure...
Posted By: Murph Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/10/07 01:26 PM
When I first played with the auto-EQ, it refused to believe a speaker was plugged in so would not progress because it couldn't detect all the speakers. A total reset, as per above, solved the problem.

Not the same issue, but I have had unexplainable weirdness about three times with my Denon and the reset always fixed it.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/10/07 04:51 PM
Called Denon technical support and the gentleman said that my receiver needs a service check. He didn't even mention anything about resetting the receiver until I told him that other people suggested it :-). The only other thing he said it could be, is a problem with the electrical. I think it's very unlikely considering all the problems. Probably my unit.

Any other suggestions? Before I go through the hassle and charge of sending this in for a service check?

Thanks again
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/10/07 06:20 PM
Buy the 3808?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/10/07 07:46 PM
Thanks Jason :-). Hopefully that doesn't have to be an option seeing that I've just finished my home theater/TV room (hopefully add pictures tonight) and it's cost me over $10,000 (25,000 if we are including the elevator), M80s or amp not included.

Long story short. I'm broke.
Posted By: CV Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/10/07 07:49 PM
That's when you know you've spent enough. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/11/07 02:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999

Long story short. I'm broke.

Then you are doing things right

Is it really important to have the test tone from the receiver? There are a number of cds that have test tones on them, Avia and DVE Essentials, as well as some websites you can download some from.

This may save you some money.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/11/07 03:40 PM
If it was only the test tones that were causing a problem, then I wouldn't even bother. It's everything else. A professional is coming to look at it tomorrow. I had better not get bad news.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/11/07 05:01 PM
Just thinking ahead if it boils down to a new receiver. Other then the difference in channel output. Are there huge differences between the Denon 2808 and the 3808?

Thanks
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/12/07 07:11 PM
Well, I had to pay $50 for a professional to come in and disconnect the ground wire from my satellite coaxial which was causing the hum and move some audio cables around that my satellite installer messed up. I didn't have time to try the test tones, but now that everything else seems to be hooked up fine and working, hopefully they will be to.

Unbelievable. I seriously need to get a friend that knows about home theater equipment. All of my friends think I'm crazy because of the money I spend and it's obviously nothing compared to many other people (fellow Axiomites).
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/12/07 07:27 PM
Good to see that at last someone was able to set the basic things straight. It's about time you start being able to enjoy your installation! Hope it only gets better from now on! \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/12/07 08:12 PM
Wheelz:
Where are you located?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/12/07 08:49 PM
Peterborough. My friends are great and help me out, basically doing what I tell them. But they don't know anything about the extensive home theaters except for maybe a Future Shop "home theater in a box" :-). Two of my friends were here helping me out last weekend with my problems and neither of them have heard of a ground loop hum which is pretty basic, and one of them is a certified electrician.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 08:38 PM
I about to return my Onkyo 805 and pull the trigger on the Denon 2308 or 2808. Suggestions, comments, and where can I get a good deal on line for Denon products. Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 09:10 PM
Any particular reason you're returning the Onkyo? You sounded pretty happy with it 2 hours ago.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 09:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: Supermann
I about to return my Onkyo 805 and pull the trigger on the Denon 2308 or 2808. Suggestions, comments, and where can I get a good deal on line for Denon products. Thanks.

JR.com

call and get the price over the phone
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 09:15 PM
Take a look at this thread. I as well as others have posted various web sites and pricing.

Link
Posted By: Supermann Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 10:55 PM
heheheh...after reading many bad reps about the 805 here.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Any particular reason you're returning the Onkyo? You sounded pretty happy with it 2 hours ago.

Well, after reading many post here about the 805. Seems everyone here is itchy about the Onkyo.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 10:59 PM
The new Onkyos are reported as being much better with the 4 ohm loads, I would try running it very loud, as loud as you would ever have it and see if it shuts down, if it doesn't it keep it.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/13/07 11:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Supermann
Well, after reading many post here about the 805. Seems everyone here is itchy about the Onkyo.

Except me who has been running it very loudly for over 4 months without a hint of clipping or anything with my M80s. Lots of that itchiness comes from older models. 805 has new amps and, most importantly, a brand new power supply design. They are rated and tested at 3.2Ohms with 5 channels driven.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/14/07 03:35 AM
Yes Matt, audio discussion boards sometimes circulate notions about certain makes of receiver that have no basis in fact(e.g. the "bright" Yamahas). Disregard this and enjoy the sound from your 805.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Denon reciever problem - 12/14/07 04:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yes Matt, audio discussion boards sometimes circulate notions about certain makes of receiver that have no basis in fact(e.g. the "bright" Yamahas). Disregard this and enjoy the sound from your 805.

I guess you haven't been over to read the A1400 thread yet then eh John?
© Axiom Message Boards