Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/19/07 03:21 PM
The movie is funny at parts and a little tedious here and there, but the sound is very very good. Every word of dialog was easy to hear and to understand. Even if you are not a fan, the movie is worth a listen to.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/19/07 05:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Lampshade
The movie is funny at parts and a little tedious here and there, but the sound is very very good. Every word of dialog was easy to hear and to understand. Even if you are not a fan, the movie is worth a listen to.

Is this for the Bluray version? Or were your referring to DVD?
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 02:55 AM
The DVD. I checked the credits. A guy named Randy Thom did it. I'm going to check out some of his other movies.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 04:58 PM
 Quote:
Every word of dialog was easy to hear and to understand...........A guy named Randy Thom did it. I'm going to check out some of his other movies.

Keep in mind that recording for an animated movie is far different than a traditional film in that you're always in a studio (not on location) and since the mics aren't visible at all, they can be large-element mics placed for best sound in front of the actor... instead of of using compromises to keep the mic out of the shot.

Not saying that Randy Thom doesn't know his stuff one way or the other.... but comparing vocal clarity in an animated movie v. a traditional film is kinda "apples and oranges".
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 06:16 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0858378/

He knows what he is doing.
I was just making a statement about one movie with excellent sound. You are the one making comparisons.
Thanks for reminding me that animated features are not shot on location.
Posted By: CV Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 06:22 PM
A little defensive? I don't think he was trying to insult your intelligence.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 07:25 PM
Speaking of animated movies... (semi-highjack)... I watched Monster House last night on cableHD ... geez, that story is bad in so many levels. I was kind of surprised since it was produced by Zemeckis/Spielberg.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/20/07 07:29 PM
Really? I kind of enjoyed it, although I saw it on an airplane...
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Simpson's Movie has great sound. - 12/21/07 12:13 AM
I really liked Monster House. Another animated movie I really enjoyed the sound on was Spirited Away.
© Axiom Message Boards