Axiom Home Page
I have read that for home theater, the left and right channels should be placed so that they are 45-60 deg. to the listening position. Is there a calculator out there somewhere that could give me the distance (from the center of the listening position) if I were to plug in the listening distance (ie 10 ft in my case)?

My math skills are horrible so I can't remember this basic function from Geometry class.

Thanks

If your listening distance is 10 feet the speakers should be seperated about the same, 9 to 11 feet would be ideal. The degree of toe in would be on a case by case basis, do what sounds best to you. I have mine so the tweeter is aimed just to the back of my lstening posistion.
I agree Rick, I would not be to worried about having the exact degree angle, as every room is different in L, W, and H. I would also say to try having the speakers about the same distance apart, as you are from them. You don't want them spread out a lot further, as the soundstage can sacrifice. Many people have them a bit closer as well.

In regards to toe in, this also is subject to the room and your own opinion. I used to have my 80's aimed about a ft behind the primary seat. However, I currently have opened that up a bit and have found a better overall experience. I would say they are pointing about 5-6 ft behind me now.
Thanks guys. Having them 10' apart would leave about 6.5" of space between the wall and the speaker, with the sub placed between the speaker and the TV (probably on the left side).
© Axiom Message Boards