Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 06:53 AM
Well if you do, sharp makes one.
check out the pic of this 108" LCD TV

The tv is 7 ft tall

article here: http://www.news.com/Sharp-unveils-108-inch-LCD-television/2100-1041_3-6147881.html

Posted By: CV Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 06:57 AM
I never understood why they need women to show off electronics. It must be really bad for their self-esteem when the guys are all just lusting after the gadget. Or maybe it's welcome relief.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 07:18 AM
Instead of your choice of 5 bad movies with every HD-DVD player, they should give you a girl.

Might settle the format war.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 07:18 AM
I am still waiting on my 5 bad movies..................
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 07:21 AM
See? You could have been enjoying a girl in your living room for a couple months already. She can do things like. . .find the remote, or something.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 07:25 AM
I wonder if my girlfriend would be ok with that...
Posted By: Zarak Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 02:45 PM
Even if you could afford it, would any of you actually want one of these TV's? If I wanted a screen that big, it would have to be in a dedicated theater room, which means I would want front projection anyway. Small projector, big screen.

I actually have a space all planned out for this in the basement of the new house once we eventually finish that part off. It is a bit down on the priority list at the moment though. I'm sure I'll be asking about it on here if and when we are ready for that. Pretty much all I know at this point is I'll be shooting for a 110" screen.
I haven't gotten my free HD-DVDs either. And, being a really nice guy, I NEVER get the girl!

I would rather have a huge LCD than a front projector. It would be nice to not have to darken a room.
Posted By: RickF Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 03:41 PM
I'm with Mark, gimme the big LCD, a well lit room and ... both of those two girls.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 03:44 PM
Panasonic must have needed 4 girls when they unveiled their 132 inch TV last week! \:\)
Posted By: Hansang Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 04:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I haven't gotten my free HD-DVDs either. And, being a really nice guy, I NEVER get the girl!

I would rather have a huge LCD than a front projector. It would be nice to not have to darken a room.

Mine took over 3.5 months to get here (for the HD DVD, not the girls!!)

But I never saw Lara Croft, so that wasn't to bad I suppose.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 05:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Panasonic must have needed 4 girls when they unveiled their 132 inch TV last week! \:\)

Looks like they only needed one guy to show their 150" plasma

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 05:38 PM
Ooops! Was missing 18 inches...
Posted By: Ajax Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 08:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Ooops! Was missing 18 inches...

Oh Oh! Peter will have a field day with that comment.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 09:42 PM
I'll stick with with my Panasonic PTAE1000U projector with 106" Carada screen. A much better deal for now anyway. And to trade in the wife for one of those other wall sconces would get pretty expensive as well. And you never know what you'll get. No 30 day return policy I'm afraid. I'm happy with what I have.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/13/08 10:26 PM
I'll stick with my 130" Anamorphic screen and Sanyo projector.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 01:32 AM
Me, I'm thinking there's no way that would ever go into production. How would you get it into a house? You'd have to build the house around it. Also, imagine getting it delivered...
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 01:40 AM
Yeah... Knowing how shipping companies handle packages it wouldn't show up in one piece. Anyway the price on those things gotta be out of most people's reach. I read on some British show that it would cost as much as £50,000! I'll stick to my pj thank you very much.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 01:43 AM
That's, what, US$500,000,000?
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 01:51 AM
Yeah take or leave a zero or two... \:D
I'm assuming it's designed for public spaces, such as train stations and airports. More likely, it's an exercise in design and won't be built in any practical quantities.
Posted By: Murph Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 01:23 PM
I don't mean this to be sexist, but on the topic of why they have girls showing off electronics. Most girls seem innately able to stand in front of something in an introductory fashion and still look natural. Guys, on the other hand, always stand there a totally unnatural straight armed gesture that looks like he is both blatantly posing and it also unfairly makes him appear like a dufus.

Just an observation from most pictures or displays I've seen.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 05:01 PM
I'm in favor of better booth babes.

That's clearly a "cost is no object" exercise in what CAN be done. However, if it can be done now, it might be done cost effectively some day. If it arrived rolled up in a tube and could then be applied to your wall with adhesive or something...
Posted By: Hansang Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/14/08 10:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Me, I'm thinking there's no way that would ever go into production. How would you get it into a house? You'd have to build the house around it. Also, imagine getting it delivered...

I heard from one of our Cisco contacts that Cisco purchased one of those "largest plasma" from CES last year (two years ago???) The thought was, they would ship it around whenever Chambers spoke for the wow "factor" But it was such a pain to ship-n-mount such a heavy/fragile equipment that they scratched the whole plan!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/15/08 12:15 AM
and now Chambers has it in his bathroom.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/15/08 12:32 AM
How would you fit a 150" plasma (or a 108" LCD for that matter") in your house? good luck getting that downstairs into a basement theater!
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: want a 108" LCD TV for your theater? - 01/15/08 03:54 AM
Reminds me of the Goofy how to setup your home theater short that played before National Treasure...

You can get a small clip of it here (click on the picture to see the 20s clip). The hole thing was hilarious! You should see how they get the giant tv into the house
© Axiom Message Boards