Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jbsengineer From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 02:02 PM
As I eagerly await the arrival of my upgraded system which contains two EP500's I am wondering what kind of experiences everyone has has when they went from 1 sub to 2. Specially the EP500 but the EP600 as well.

First impressions?

Was it hard to find 2 good locations?

What was the largest difference you experiencing after your upgrade?

And any other tidbits and information you'd like to tease me with! I will post my finding when the shiny beauties arrive. But after I post photos of course!

Thanks!
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 05:24 PM
From one to two 600's

First impressions;
Not a whole lot more bass but allot smoother throughout the room
nodes I had with one were virtually eliminated. Although there is not a whole lot more volume there still is a noticeable gain it's just not what one might expect but still worthwhile.

Setup;

I did the sub crawl with only one sub setup and marked the best two locations which happened to be nearly across the room from each other halfway down each sidewall. Others have suggested to do the sub crawl place the first sub in the best location you find and put the second sub directly across the room. which works best I cant say. Sub placement seems to be an experimental thing it's different in every room. good luck and congrats on the new system.
Posted By: Bill3508 Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 05:25 PM
Depending on your room is can help quite a bit especially if it is a difficult layout. If placed in different positions it can even out your frequency response or co-located give you a nice bass boost. I have two different subs, PB13 and HSU-VTF2MK2(upgraded MK1), on either side of my mains and it really fills in the room. Later I will upgraded the HSU to a PC13 Ultra as I don't have room for another PB.

Bill3508
Posted By: SirQuack Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:30 PM
When my 2 350v3's arrive, I'm going to start by placing them up front near each m80's. Then my 600 will be tested in various placements like rear wall and near the seating area, can't wait.
Posted By: RickF Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:47 PM
Randy I can't wait 'till you find out the three aren't going to jell together at all, then you'll have to send that extra big, extra heavy and extra boxy 600 my way .... you know, the same black 600 you'll never in your life have to break your back or strain those weak knees trying to move around that big ol' 8000 cf room of yours. I'm hurting for you just thinking about it.

\:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:52 PM
I started working out again, going to get back in that muscular Franco Columbu body again, ha ah
Posted By: RickF Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:53 PM
Oh yea I forgot ... you'll need to lift that beast into the shipping box, good thinking man!

\:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:54 PM
or bring it with me in a year or so. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:55 PM
 Quote:
Franco Columbu

Isn't he like 80 years old by now \:D
Posted By: SirQuack Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 06:57 PM
At 76 lbs the new 350v3's are heavier than the 500. \:\)

Franco is probably in his late 50's I would guess without using google. He is a Chiroprator in CA and still actually has a good physique. I saw a video last year at The Arnold Classic, he gave a speach and the crowd went nuts when he did a lat spread, he could still fly with that back.
Posted By: RickF Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 07:01 PM
Naw, we need to go ahead and nip that little dilemma in the bud right way, otherwise it's going to turn into one of those 'out of mind, out of sight' issues. Not good, and besides it would be way too much weight for carry on anyway, too large to carry in the baggage compartment of most airlines ('cept for cargo type stuff, FedEx, UPS and etc) that fly domestic routes.

Looking forward to visiting with you all!
Posted By: Infamous1 Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 07:34 PM
hi everyone! I have a question on 2 subs. How do you connect 2 to a Receiver? I'm thinking there is a cable that does it but how can the receiver provide enough power to them? Does it give them each half the power or is it full to both? I know, noob question but I don't claim to be a pro! \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 07:57 PM
The subs have their own amplifiers, so they do not require anything power from the receiver even when your are using regular speaker connections to the sub.

Usually, subs have in-and-outs connectors to daisy chain them.
Posted By: Bill3508 Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/20/08 10:48 PM
Most people just use a y-splitter off the back of the sub preout on the receiver. Your not sending power from the receiver, just the audio signal.

Bill3508
Posted By: jbsengineer Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/21/08 01:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bill3508
Most people just use a y-splitter off the back of the sub preout on the receiver. Your not sending power from the receiver, just the audio signal.

Bill3508

Is it better to use a splitter or daisy chain? Or doesn't it matter?
Posted By: Wid Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/21/08 01:34 AM

What ever serves your purpose best, there will be no audible differences.
Posted By: Infamous1 Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/21/08 06:17 PM
Oh yeah, they have their own amp power. Oops \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: From One EP500 to Two - 01/21/08 09:54 PM
you can daisy chain them from one to the other, or split the signal at the receiver and run two lines.
© Axiom Message Boards