Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker QS8 position - 01/25/08 09:08 PM
Hey Guys,

I going to order a pair of QS8 in the very near future and I just wanted to get your opinions on where I am going to install them.

The room is 12' wide by 17' deep. I would be sitting 5' from the back wall. The mains and center are 3' from the front wall. My existing surrounds are bookshelves on 42" stands just behing my listening position. My new QS8s would end up 12" behind me and 36" above my ears directly accross from each other.

Will that be acceptable ? ideal, minor or major compromise ? I have to work with the room I have and unless I switch everything around, not recommended by the wife,it's the best I can do at this time so I hope that placement will be fine or even great.

Thanks

Riker

Posted By: terzaghi Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 09:59 PM
sounds like pretty ideal placement to me.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 10:05 PM
Assuming no typos (12 inches behind, 36 inches above ears) and on the side, this sounds pretty textbook to me.
Posted By: vassillios Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 10:44 PM
ditto all the agreements. They should be either directly to the side or slightly behind (12" would be considered slightly).

You will be VERY happy with the surround field. If you have a Blu-ray, or HD DVD, player, get sunshine. The surround audio on this disc is nothing less than stellar. I can't decode DTS HA MA, but the core track was amazing.
Posted By: Riker Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 10:55 PM
Thanks Guys.. I feel better now.. No I don't have HD yet.. no rush because it means not only a new player but a new tv as well for me.. and my current TV has great PQ, even if it's not HD yet..it's a 34 inch CRT Sony XBR.. capable of 1080i.. It's big and bulky, it weighs a ton..but the blacks are blacks and the whites are white.. no complaints except for the size.. next one is most likely going to be a plasma.. 60".. Panny or Pio most likely..

Posted By: vassillios Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 10:56 PM
well then, you don't need a new TV for blu-ray
Posted By: Riker Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 11:03 PM
No, I guess I don't need a new TV for BluRay or HDDVD.. but then again, I do not have ANY HDMI inputs.. so as long as I can display the 1080i via component output of the HD player, I'm good to go.
Posted By: vassillios Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 11:06 PM
yes, you are good to go with component.
Posted By: Riker Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone..

Can't wait to listen to them..

Next is a new sub.. EP500 in my sights !

Cheers

Steph
Posted By: vassillios Re: QS8 position - 01/25/08 11:29 PM
enjoy
Posted By: JohnK Re: QS8 position - 01/26/08 03:13 AM
Should be fine, Riker; maybe even 24" behind.
Posted By: aham23 Re: QS8 position - 01/26/08 03:38 AM
now i am worried. looking at my planned (meaning already ran the wire and drywall just went up) placement it will be pretty much even with the seating. even perhaps a bit in front of the ear depending on how one lounges on the sofa.

i do have future plans for two rears to complete my 7.1 system, but at first it will be 5.1 with that positioning. should i try to move them back a bit? height wise i planned for them to be 24" above ear level.

thanks.
Posted By: JohnK Re: QS8 position - 01/26/08 03:53 AM
Yeah, on a 5.1 setup without back surround speakers to specifically handle back surround effects it's a good idea to place the side surround speakers a little farther back than directly to the side of the listening position, so that sounds about equal in level would tend to image in back. So fine, if you can place them that way; if not, the QSs have very wide dispersion and some of the sound will bounce off the back anyway.
© Axiom Message Boards