Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CRL QS8 - 01/29/08 03:46 PM
Well, I finally convinced my wife that we needed $500 surrounds - I pulled the trigger on a pair of QS8's. My question is...
I have Rocket 550's and Bigfoot in front. Has anyone heard Rockets with the QS8's?
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 - 01/29/08 03:48 PM
Yes. 850s, Bigfoot, and QS8s as surrounds. Sounded terrific, IMHO. YMMV. The QS8s are the best surrounds I've ever heard.
Posted By: RickF Re: QS8 - 01/29/08 03:56 PM
I believe the QS's will probably be the one Axiom speaker that will blend perfectly with just about any speaker system, I know Jon is running them with Martin Logans and loves 'em.
Posted By: CRL Re: QS8 - 01/29/08 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I believe the QS's will probably be the one Axiom speaker that will blend perfectly with just about any speaker system, I know Jon is running them with Martin Logans and loves 'em.

That's pretty much what I've been hearing - can't wait to hear them - thx for the replies!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 12:27 AM
Did you get them from the factory outlet to save some change?
Posted By: jon Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 01:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF

Correct, I personally feel the QS-8's to be the best surround speakers that I have heard. I love em! In fact I tried the Martin Logan scripts (at almost 3 times the cost) and the QS-8'S were better for my ear. They also looked much nicer, at least for my application. I can't see how you could do any better than the Axiom QS-8's IMO. Enjoy them!
Posted By: CRL Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 11:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
Did you get them from the factory outlet to save some change?

Yes I got them from the factory outlet in Boston Cherry to hopefully get close to matching the Rockets Rosewood.
Should I expect them to be a full 3 weeks?

And here's a full rundown of my stuff...

Rotel rsx1057
Toshiba dr400 dvd
Sony 46" Bravia W series LCD
PureAV power conditioner/battery backup
Rocket 550 fronts
Rocket Bigfoot center
BA PV600 sub
Soon to be Axiom QS8
Posted By: framer2180 Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 03:05 PM
I ordered some QS'8s from the FO and they have been shipped. Delivery will be just under the two weeks quoted.
Posted By: DaveG Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 04:23 PM
Enjoy the speakers, the QS8s are sure to please.
Posted By: Parrothead Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 08:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
Yes. 850s, Bigfoot, and QS8s as surrounds. Sounded terrific, IMHO. YMMV. The QS8s are the best surrounds I've ever heard.

Jack,
What color is close to the rocket color?

Thanks
David
Posted By: bugbitten Re: QS8 - 01/30/08 11:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: Parrothead
 Originally Posted By: Ajax

Jack,
What color is close to the rocket color?

Thanks
David

I would suggest high WAF of 8s that blend into the walls. They make a white one and a paintable one.
Posted By: jakewash Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 04:02 AM
Vasillos Series Rosewood ;\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 04:51 AM
I have the discontinued Ebony finish and have only seen the Rosewood finish a couple of times, so I'm just going by memory.

In the vinyl, nothing looks like an exact match, but the Vermont Maple from the custom shop, though likely a bit browner than the Rocket Rosewood, is probably the closest.

I have to agree with Jakewash that the Natural wood Rosewood would be close. Not sure which stain would be the best, maybe the Nutmeg, Bordeaux, or Red, but I'm just guessing here.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 05:13 AM
I have to disagree with you, Jack. I have the Vermont Maple on my M80s, and I've seen the Rockets. They're pretty different. The Rockets are much, much redder, while the Vermont Maple is closer in appearance to Boston Cherry. I would guess the cinnamon beech would be closer, but I haven't seen that one in person.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 05:25 AM
You may have a point Ken. Actually neither of them is very close. The Beech is too light, and the Maple is too brown. Actually, I think the High Gloss Cherry, though hardly a match, is closer than either.

Rocket:

High Gloss Cherry

Cinnamon Beech

Vermont Maple

Posted By: CRL Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 03:17 PM
Ajax, the rosewood satin pretty much looks like what I have on the 550's - can you post the boston cherry next to it.
Not that I'll change my order...
My entertainment center is a medium dark cherry and it compliments the rosewood pretty well. So a semi close match works for me.

Thx
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS8 - 01/31/08 04:51 PM
You should be fine with the Boston Cherry, then. Not much is going to have that grain pattern that the rosewood does, though.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 - 02/01/08 05:22 AM
Discontinued Ebony? Jack, are you referring to the Rocket brand, not aware that Axiom has discontinued the Ebony Pica from the custom finish shop. In fact, I just ordered to 350's to match my other speakers in Ebony.
Posted By: richeydog Re: QS8 - 02/01/08 08:06 AM
Ebony from the Rocket line, which Jack currently owns, was discontinued about a year and a half ago. \:\)

Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8 - 02/01/08 02:32 PM
This is about the best I can do for you. Keep in mind that these are photos. The lighting conditions under which the photos are taken, type of camera, etc., can influence the color tone. So, I can't say how exact this comparison is.

Also, consider the fact that,sometimes, it can be better to have contrasting complimentary colors rather than "pretty close" matching colors.

Here are the Boston cherry vinyl and Rosewood veneers.

And, Richeydog is correct. I have the discontinued Ebony finish on my Rockets. Although, I've heard rumblings that it may resurrected, if only on a limited basis.
Posted By: CRL Re: QS8 - 02/19/08 04:06 PM
So I got the QS8's and digging them but I'm wondering - how long is the break in?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: QS8 - 02/19/08 04:19 PM
No break in for the speaker. Usually, it's the listener that "breaks in"--getting accustomed to a new speakers sound.

Is there anything you are dissatisfied with about the QS8s?
Posted By: CRL Re: QS8 - 02/19/08 05:28 PM
Is there anything you are dissatisfied with about the QS8s? [/quote]

Not at all - they sound great - I've just heard that some speakers require a break in period and was wondering if the QS8's did.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: QS8 - 02/19/08 05:35 PM
That's good to hear. Enjoy them, then!
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: QS8 - 02/19/08 09:57 PM
I have read that (science says) whatever break in the speakers have - it would be little and would happen during the first few minutes of Axiom's testing of your speakers.

The brain does break in - that is why some people say they hear quite a difference.

Many people would disagree, though.
© Axiom Message Boards