Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi new denon flagship models - 02/10/08 11:58 PM
well, I checked out the denon webiste and found this:
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/AVReceivers.asp

You can see the two new models at the top, a processor and a seperate 10 channel amp.

At $7,000 each your talking a lot of cash.

Looks impressive, but I am not sure about plunking down 14k on these two guys.

What do you think?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: new denon flagship models - 02/11/08 12:52 AM
And just to clarify, by no means am I even considering purchasing these things.
Number one I don't have that kind of money

and number 2, I would find a better way to spend it if i did. You could opt for a denon 5308 and an axiom amp for a little more than half that and I think you would keep most of the features.

I just found it interesting.... and wondered if anyone would consider such an "investment"
Posted By: CV Re: new denon flagship models - 02/11/08 01:10 AM
Only if I was obscenely rich. I don't see how they can justify $7000 for a preamplifier. What makes it worth $5400 more than my Integra DTC-9.8? Faster HDMI handshaking? No clicks when changing sound modes? GUI as a translucent overlay? A few different logos on the front? At $4000 ($4300 after tax), my TV was the most expensive purchase I've ever made, but it was a huge jump up from my 32" CRT HDTV. To make a $7000 purchase, there would have to be a lot more benefit. Of course, once I'm rich, then why not.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: new denon flagship models - 02/11/08 01:16 AM
I think the new Denons make popcorn. Definitely worth it.
Posted By: bluray Re: new denon flagship models - 02/11/08 02:15 AM
How about the top of the line Integra pre + Axiom amp vs. the new Denon 5308? I think the separates win out on value (though you do have to buy more cables, takes up more space, might need outlet upgrade and/or add'l power conditioning/surge protection unit, etc). What surprises me is that the 5308 does not offer more of a jump in power over the next two lower model Denon receivers. If one can do w/o all the fancy features, seems the raw, clean power champ of receivers would be the new NAD T785. It's "FTC equivalent" power rating is 190/channel (the wattage you'd typically use to compare w/ Denon/Pioneer Elite/Yamaha and so on). The video and audio boards are modular and upgradeable, so it would likely be able to catch up on the latest lossless formats. Right this moment, however, seems you'd be hard pressed to beat what the T785 promises for sound quality of all that it can process. Street price is $2,400 (retail $3,000). I guess I'm more than intrigued. I have not listened to it, but I plan to soon.
Posted By: jakewash Re: new denon flagship models - 02/11/08 09:54 PM
I don't know about the Nad winning on Value, the Denon 3808 at just over a grand seems like the better choice, IMO, as the extra 60WPC in the NAD is only good for about 1-2 db more and the 3808 already has all the latest formats.
Posted By: bluray Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 12:50 AM
Good point. To me, the 3808 is also great because it can change duty in a few years to being a darn good pre.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 12:54 AM
I def like the 3808. I wish it had the realta chip that the 5308 has though
Posted By: JohnK Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 02:58 AM
Blu, the slight difference in power rating for that NAD unit would make little or no difference(with no strongly in the lead)in most applications. From the bang for the buck standpoint, units such as the Denon 3808 and 2808 or the Onkyo 875 and 705 would seem to have a significant edge.
Posted By: bluray Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 04:50 AM
I don't know John. I have loved my AVR 1082 (same as 3802) and there's still nothing wrong with it. I got it when it was a current product--can't remember how long I've had it (4 years?). I previously had a Pioneer Elite receiver, and the Denon has much better sound quality not to mention has been more reliable (zero issues w/ Denon, while channels went out on Elite). Certainly the 3800 series has continued to improve, but as I'm looking to get a new receiver to go along with a complete change out of speakers (have M80s, 150, M22s, and 600 sub on order), I would anticipate that the NAD T785 is most definitely a step up in power and sound quality vs. what I have and even vs. the current 3800 series offering. Though at what I know is $2,400 (retail is $3K) from very good local audio store for the NAD vs. what I assume will be around $1,200? for the Denon, I'll concede that the Denon is a better value. And I have not listened to either. I'd be shocked if the power difference is not a significant adavantage in favor of the NAD; one nice step up from the T775 to T785 is the inclusion of twin Holmgren torroidal power units. As for dynamic, accurate, rich sound at both low and high volumes, I can't imagine the NAD doesn't have the edge! Look, I am a huge fan of Denon sound. Denons are certainly more reliable than NAD products, and Denon has the technology edge right out of the box on audio formats. I even feel guilty given that my 1082 works perfectly. Still, the T785 has got to be (and ought to be given it sells for the full $3K retail from Audio Advisor for instance) a step up from what I have and vs. the 3808.
Posted By: jakewash Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 10:24 AM
If it is the same as the 3802, the 02 is the year, so you have had it 6 years, give or take a few months if you bought it new.

Quote:
Still, the T785 has got to be (and ought to be given it sells for the full $3K retail from Audio Advisor for instance) a step up from what I have and vs. the 3808
and this is where the blind testing comes in etc.

I totally agree if it is that much more price wise then it should be that much better but for $3000. But why not opt for the A1400-8? A few hundred more and you definately get more wattage than 195 per channel.
Posted By: michael_d Re: new denon flagship models - 02/12/08 04:38 PM
I would avoid NAD this go around. Wait till they are on their second or third generation HDMI units. With HDMI comes a whole new can of worms. Denon is clearly the leader with high bit rate audio processing. In two years the playing feild will be leveled as each manufacture learns from their mistakes, but for now, I'd stick with Denon. Even Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer are all still strugling with HBR audio in one form or another. The 08 line of Denons are rock solid.
Posted By: Hansang Re: new denon flagship models - 02/13/08 12:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
I would avoid NAD this go around. Wait till they are on their second or third generation HDMI units. With HDMI comes a whole new can of worms. Denon is clearly the leader with high bit rate audio processing. In two years the playing feild will be leveled as each manufacture learns from their mistakes, but for now, I'd stick with Denon. Even Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer are all still strugling with HBR audio in one form or another. The 08 line of Denons are rock solid.

One note of caution. I read in AVS that it may have some issues with surround backs when playing Master Audio. It's in the official denon 3808 thread over at AVS for those who are interested.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: new denon flagship models - 02/13/08 12:38 AM
I have heard that on the 3808 audessey multi-EQ has problems with 6.1 and 7.1. The firmware upgrade resolves this issue. I wonder if the firmware update fixes the DTS MA problems as well?

If not I would bet they will update it soon
Posted By: Hansang Re: new denon flagship models - 02/13/08 12:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I have heard that on the 3808 audessey multi-EQ has problems with 6.1 and 7.1. The firmware upgrade resolves this issue. I wonder if the firmware update fixes the DTS MA problems as well?

If not I would bet they will update it soon

Maybe it's just false alarm. I just read this:

"This is to clarify the DTS HD MA scenario. The Denon 3808CI DOES play the DTS MA HD sound correctly, however, the input lights do no light up 7.1. The output lights show all 7.1 channels being output, but the signal being input is mislabeled as being 5.1.
All 7.1 channels work, just the lights don't light up, and last thing I do is stare at the lights, so, not a big issue. "
Posted By: butcherbme Re: new denon flagship models - 02/13/08 06:56 PM
I just upgraded AVR 883 to AVR 4308 $1928 at Crutchfield. I have M60's Vp150 and 3 QS-8's with a Klipsch RW10. The change really brought appreciation for the Axiom's. I must say that it takes me a long time to get familiar with the receiver. Accessing all my music on the computer network is great along with HD radio and infinate number of internet radio stations.
© Axiom Message Boards