Axiom Home Page
Posted By: computergeek13 Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 05:07 PM
I ordered the onkyo last week, and i am going to audition the Epic 80 * 350 5.1 set and i am curious if the receiver can power the 4 ohm impedance on the m80 floor standers?

thanks in advance!
Posted By: GOBUCS Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 05:37 PM
I would say yes. I am using an Onkyo Integra 8.8 which is Onkyo's high end, running M80's, vp150, and Qs8 surrounds. I have cranked this thing and it has never shut off on me or anything. So, I think you will be alright. I know others on this forum are running Onkyo receivers with their setups so maybe they can give you some feedback on it.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 05:53 PM
I do not think that onkyo is one of the suggested brands to match with the m80's.

I copied the following quote from this post:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=12740&Number=175962#Post175962

Originally Posted By: haylo75

My personal experience with the amplifier in the TX-SR805 is that it can't handle M80's. I believe the amplifier in the TX-SR875 is rated for 10 more WPC, but I believe the general design of the two units is the same. YMMV with easier loads.

However, I think it all depends on what your listening habits are like. (how loud and how long do you listen)

The denon 3808 can be found online for a good deal (I got mine from 6ave.com for $1098) and it powers the m80s with no problem.

The denon does not have a reon processing chip though.

Originally Posted By: terzaghi

The denon 3808 can be found online for a good deal (I got mine from 6ave.com for $1098) and it powers the m80s with no problem.

The denon does not have a reon processing chip though.

what exactly does the reon processor do?

I cancelled my onkyo order i dont want a receiver to restrict my speaker purchase.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 07:11 PM
Hi computergeek, I have used my Onkyo 805 to power a 4 ohm load (all though not M80s). I had no problems with shutdown at the levels I listen at 75-90 spl. The reciever did run quite hot so maintaining ventilation clearance was important.
is there a list of receivers that power the higher end floor standers well?

I would like atleast 2 HDMI inputs, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, if that helps at all.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 08:12 PM
The Denon 2808 fits that list and try calling 6ave.com for their best deals. Right now here in Calgary the 2808 can be bought for $798.
Posted By: grunt Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 08:16 PM

From the above thread:

Quote:

Axiom recommends Denon,Sherwod Newcastle-which they sell, Nad, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha for amps/receivers that can handle the 4ohm load easily. The new Onkyos appear to be working well with the M80s, as a few here have them.

I remember a thread where Alan Lofft also talks about this but I can’t seem to find it.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/26/08 09:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: computergeek13
is there a list of receivers that power the higher end floor standers well?

I would like atleast 2 HDMI inputs, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, if that helps at all.

However many HDMI inputs you *think* you need, add one or two more to it.

If I were to buy a new AVR (which I may yet again), I would choose Marantz SR8002 or Denon 3808. The latter is about $500 cheaper. I am currently using SR8001 (and have 8002 as well) to drive Epic80/500 setup w/o any issues.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 01:31 AM
Denon and HK AVR's have always had no issues with 80's. I think in recent years, brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, and others have had less issues as well.
Posted By: jbsengineer Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 01:52 AM
I have just got done with a 2 week demo of a Onkyo 805 and unfortunately even though it's power output and features were great it had some serious flaws IMO. Audio/Video syncing issues was number 1. Number 2 was that fact that it shut itself off twice when I played music loud continually (85-100db).
Posted By: myrison Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 02:28 AM
Definitely run a search on this forum for the Onkyo 875 and you will see a lot of the issues that have been discussed in the last month with that receiver (largely the same with the 805) and certain video sources (the biggest and most painful issues were definitely around lip sync and audio delays with DirecTV equipment). I had the Onkyo on my short list until I educated myself here and ended up going with the Denon 3808.

It's supposed to arrive next week... and the Axioms soon thereafter, so I can't tell the final chapter of the story yet, just that I went through the same thing and ended up turning away from the Onkyo once I read the various opinions here.
great everyone thank you so much for the input. So for aroun 1500-2000 which receiver do you think has the best range of functions, HDMI inputs, Dolby processing, upconverting, etc?

Does anyone run the VP150 as a center? i have heard mixed reviews, how do the m80's stand up to definitive and B&W? Are there other speakers i should audition?

thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 05:05 AM
That is a lot of money for a receiver, but if you have the dough, what the heck. \:\)

I've owned 2 different 150's for about 5 years now and have been very happy with their performance. Most people don't calibrate or place the 150 correctly, and then blame the sound on the speakers for some reason. In reality, the best center is an identical model as the L/R, however, this may not always be possible.

Can't help on definitive comparisons, but I did audition B&W's and thought my m60's at the time were better than B&W 703's and half the price. The m80's are probably near the 800 series.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 05:56 AM
Geek, welcome. One of the outstanding units which list in the price range you mention is the Onkyo 875(see lab test and review from S&V )which is very powerful, including into 4ohms, and well-featured, including the Reon video processor. The best buy at the moment appears to be as a factory refurb from Accessories4less for about $1050 plus shipping.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 05:57 AM
buy the denon 3808. call 6ave and they will sell it to you for $1098 shipped.

Send the other $500 to me \:\)

The only thing the denon does not have is the reon chip (it has the faroudja (sp?) chip which I think is still ok.

All of the other features are awesome (graphical GUI, power (130wpc), it does not run warm at all, 4 hdmi inputs, networking for internet radio and streaming network music ect. ect.)

Do a search for "denon 3808 one week later" on the axiom forums or something along those lines to read more about it
does the denon make a receiver with the reon processor?
also what kind of speaker cable connectors do i need to pair with the axiom Epic 80 *350 system? will they come with everything i neeed?

or do i just to buy speaker wire after that?
Posted By: michael_d Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 03:30 PM
does the denon make a receiver with the reon processor?

No, but they make one with the Realta. It’s about five grand. The 3808 is the most advanced AVR available at its price point. No, it does not have top end video processing, but it is not needed for the HD formats or when using one the better up converting SD players. SD satellite and cable feed is beyond help, at any price.

If you are not in hurry, wait for the Sherwood Newcastle 972. It will be out around the end of May. I believe it will set the new standard for others to follow, and for Reon fans, it’ll have that chip.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 03:32 PM
As for cables, all you need is ye olde copper cable at sufficient gauge. A lot of people use 14 or 12 gauge, just to cover the bases. Plus, it looks cooler than 16 gauge.
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
buy the denon 3808. call 6ave and they will sell it to you for $1098 shipped.

wow called em this morning and it was $1100 shipped. Thats pretty amazing! do you work there :P
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 05:10 PM
 Quote:
SD satellite and cable feed is beyond help, at any price

LOL! Mike, you're awesome.
Posted By: N24color Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 06:17 PM
I have the Onkyo 805 and it does ok for the M80's which I have. This unit does run hot and there's even a sticker on the top of the unit that says it will run hot. Its never shut down because of heat. The issue for me is that at louder db's the unit distorts a bit and the solution was to get a seperate amp and to use the 805 as a pre-pro. I hooked up a Parasound a51 and now I just smile alot when at louder levels. Hope this helps
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 02/27/08 07:06 PM

wow called em this morning and it was $1100 shipped. Thats pretty amazing! do you work there :P

No, I bought mine in november for that price (mdrew posted the deal on these boards around that time)

Another forum member sent me a PM 2 days ago telling me they still had the denon 3808 for that price so I knew it was still valid \:\)

Much better than the $1599+tax price you get at any B&M store.

plus 6ave is an authorized denon dealer so denon's warranty is not voided.
Posted By: myrison Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 03/23/08 06:30 PM
Just an update for anyone
 Originally Posted By: myrison
(the biggest and most painful issues were definitely around lip sync and audio delays with DirecTV equipment). I had the Onkyo on my short list until I educated myself here and ended up going with the Denon 3808.

Just an FYI for anyone considering the Onkyo, or for anyone who has it and had DirecTV lipsynch/audio dropout problems, it apparently has been fixed via a firmware update.

DirecTV - Onkyo Audio Firmware Fix
Posted By: JohnnieMo Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 03/23/08 11:57 PM
I just looked at 6ave online and it says $1599... what am I missing??
Posted By: jakewash Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 03/24/08 01:04 AM
You have to call them and ask to get the price.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 03/24/08 01:34 AM
yah, their webiste lists the MSRP- call and asdk them the price over the phone.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 enough to power M80? - 03/25/08 02:09 AM

Pipe in a bit of Liquid nitrogen. That ought to keep the big Onk cool enough.

I see that Circuit City is selling 805s for $699. That's a heckuva price for what you get.
© Axiom Message Boards