Axiom Home Page
Question for you guys.

How far away from the wall are your M80's? What do you guys think would create a better sound? 12" away? 18" away? 24" away?

Thank you.

12" is approx 30cm
The back of mine are 9" away from the back wall. As I move them closer to the back, bass goes up (which I don't need given the 600) and sound-stage suffers.

The answer to your question depends on how far away you are sitting from them. Start off by forming an equilateral triangle between you and the speakers.
My m80's are about 8" from the front wall, and 25" from the side walls.
Eh, they're in there, somewhere... some inches away. Something like that.
Say what?? The 80's are 17" deep and they are measured from the front, so you guys are telling me that your 80's are extending *into* the wall by 8" and 9" respectively??

Mine are 4' from the the front wall and 23" from the side walls. ;\)

Ref: Speaker placement measurement question...

Mine are 10 inches from the wall. They used to be 12 inches, but with my new Entertainment Unit, the right M80 ended up too close to the side wall (with 45 degree angle) and bass was adversely affected. Moving them back a bit solved the problem.

Mine (M80s) are 41 1/2" from the back wall and 25 1/2" from the side wall.
I think when most people ask, especially newbies, how far away from the wall, I'm guessing they are referring to the actually measurement/gap from the wall, not the front of the cabinet.

At least that is how it seems Hansang was asking.

Mojo, your 80's are on your back wall?
The front wall is the wall your facing guys, unless you like to turn around and listen backwards.

I guess it should be front wall.
Yea but ... what if you place your speakers on a back wall of your house? Just by having a set of speakers placed there makes this a front wall?

\:\)
Nope, they would be called Rear Surrounds. \:\)
Mine are 9" from the back wall. The 80s are facing me so when you stand at the 80s and look at me, your back is to the wall so hence it is the back wall \:D .

Dang Richy, we have ours a lot further out than most.
Yes Han, although you're referring to the distance from the back of the enclosure to the wall, the more significant measurements are from the center of the woofer cones to the three nearest room surfaces, i.e., the side wall, back(front?)wall and floor. Those three distances should be unequal, if possible, so that the room boundary reinforcements and suckouts don't pile up at certain frequencies and make the response more irregular.
Sirquake: "The front wall is the wall your facing guys, unless you like to turn around and listen backwards."

This is like my left field is really the right field argument!

thanks everyone I was indeed talking about rear of the M80 to the wall. So back wall relative to the M80.

In the Army, we used to always say (while leading PT -Physical training - facing the troops)

"the next exercise is the leg stretch, I will go to my right while you go to your left, thus creating a mirror image" Who the hell talks like that anyway! ;\)
I agree when a person is talking about placement for best performance, distance (delay) measurments, etc. it is best to measure from the front of the speaker.

However, most often the posters are just referring to accomdating the room look and decor and not having something sticking clear out which is a good pinky toe breaker. \:\)

But to be able to properly place the mains one should follow what JohnK has has outlined.
I have my M80's setup with the closest point at the rear 25.5" from the wall and the other side at 27" because they are toed in. And from the side walls one is 32 and one is around 36" at the closest point. (These measurements are from the rear and side of the cabinet not where the drivers are.)

Works for me \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards