Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rwilkes2323 M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/24/03 04:27 AM
I am trying to figure out how to fit all the components along a particular wall where the TV (Toshiba 50HDX82) will be located. I know ideal separation between L/R is 6-12 feet. Not sure I can do that.

I am under the impression that the L/R should be either inline with Center or slightly in front. My TV is 50" high, 46" wide. I have 113" inches wall to wall, but I cannot cover the light and fan control plate so need around 14" on the right side; i can put a sub or speaker below part of that switch as it is 43" from the floor.

I could:

1) I could wall mount everything; that puts all of them 24" behind the screen. If I do that, should L/R be inline with Center? Of put them to each side? Isn't it important not to have the TV "box" or components stand blocking free movement of sound?

2) Put the Center on top of the TV, and use speaker stands on each side. Separation L/R would be only 4 feet or so.

3) I could put subwoofer next to TV on one side (15"W), speaker on stand to left of the sub, stand to right of TV, R. speaker to right of stand. Gives most separation that still fits the space. But it isn't even spacing; R. would be further away from screen center than L.

4) Are there any wall mounts that bring the speaker out 16" from the wall? I could then mount one speaker over the subwoofer at same height and distance from screen center as the other. Any ideas there?

Input is greatly appreciated!

Rick
Posted By: chesseroo Re: M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/24/03 03:39 PM
rwilkes,
I also have the Toshiba rptv that you have.
I own the M60s, EP350, QS8s and the VP150.
Here is a shot of my home setup to give you an idea of how crunched i was for space:

It is about 9 feet from couch to tv, 5 feet from M60 to M60 with the VP150 placed an equal distance between the two on top of the tv.
I much preferred having the M60s placed further apart but due to cable limiations for my audio equipment, i could not push the audio 'stand' out of the corner any further.

If you have your centre channel a bit ahead of your main speakers, you can make adjustments in most receivers to compensate for sound delay and volume. Using a test dvd like the Sound and Vision or Avia with a sound meter, you can pretty much clear up any issues.
However, it would be easier to go with your option 2 or 3. Use speaker stands to the left and right, try to keep some equidistance between your speakers and tv, but don't worry so much about the actual distance between the M22s. You can always play around with a bit of toeing in to get the soundstage right. If you have a greater viewing distance from the tv it will also help.
Take a look at my other post today on speaker setup at the Sound and Vision online magazine. They give a little triangular equation in there to help you position speakers relatively properly as a starting point.
Posted By: rwilkes2323 Re: M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/24/03 05:00 PM
Thanks so much for the picture! Really helps to get a feel for the TV with the VP150 on top.

How did you mount the VP150 on top? Did you consider the VP100? What receiver are you driving them with?

How do you like your 50HDX82?

I think you're right that the stands will let me play with positioning better than fooling around with wall mounts, and should make the sound more forward than if I put them on the wall towards the back of the TV.

Thanks again,
Rick

P.S. Why don't you use the front grills?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/24/03 08:17 PM
I'm not the only person on these forums with this setup. I believe jbzgowest also has my identical home theatre equipment.

The VP150 is simply sitting on the top of the tv. The width of the tv is plenty for the centre channel. I did however tuck a small newspaper underneath the rear of the VP150 to angle it a bit more downwards towards the seating area. I did not consider the VP100 for a centre b/c the VP150 fit into my budget. I would have bought the M80s as well had i not run out of money.
I also bought my VP and QS8s via the Factory outlet to save some cash. I can show you pictures of the "blemishes" (haha) if you would like to see them.
THey are being driven by an Onkyo DS797 6.1 receiver.

The Toshiba is great. Has a nice colorful picture. I need to get it professionally tuned though. I just can't get the convergence to stay saved. As RPTVs go, this Toshiba is listed as one of the top 5 by most other forum posters. Head over to the Hometheatrespot.com and chek out the forum posting for Toshiba tvs. It was helpful in findiing some flaws and fixes as noted by other users. The "hiss" sound in particular was a problem i had which was easily corrected.

As for the front grills....I HATE black components. I'm looking long and hard for a 'finish' that is anything but bauge or black these days. Anyone who works with computers can attest to how ugly the colour bauge is in the same regard that someone with audio/video components are getting tired of seeing nothing but black finishes.
I think the trend is finally starting to shift again though. Silver and metals are making a comeback.

Posted By: jbzngowest Re: M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/25/03 09:43 PM
I have the same Axioms, except for the EP175. You can see my setup at this link.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jbgowestus/lst?.dir=/My+Photos

I have the Yamaha RX-V1300. I have been very pleased with this unit. I recently started listening to a few cd's. The Axioms definitely kick it out when needed. I sat on the bookshelf/tower fence for two months. I was going to place something small inside the left and right units of my entertainment center. The towers were a result of not wanting to upgrade right after my initial purchase.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: M22ti mounting ABOVE subwoofer - 01/26/03 12:06 AM
Also, the tv is great. Dvd's and HD are superb. I would like more than just HD HBO, but it'll do until we get TimeWarner to add the big four networks in HD. Afer we move, I'll get the real ISF tech calibration done. I've read that it's a night and day difference.
© Axiom Message Boards