Axiom Home Page
Was wondering if I could get some advice as to whether I will notice the difference in upgrading from M3s to M22s up front. Currently have the 4 x M3s [front and surround] and the VP100 with an SVS sub.

Thanks in advance for the comments...
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=204616&gonew=1#UNREAD
Jeeez...my searching skills apparently need seriously honing...

Thanks for the link....
Welcom Laser,

I can't comment on the M3's or M22's from personal experience, as I've never owned those models. I know people generally say the m3's give you better base performance, and the m22' generally give you a bit better detail. With your sub helping, you may enjoy the 22's as they would give you that better clarity. I'm sure the m3's are great speakers also...
I love my M3s...but I do find them sometimes lacking a bit of detail on music...almost like the soundstage is a bit "blurry". However, I have not auditioned any other quality speakers in my home...I bought the Axioms based on online recommendations and have never doubted my decision.

Have a birthday coming up and the wife hates that I don't have anything I really want...so thought maybe upgrading my fronts might be something.
Hi laserjock,

You'll flip out at the detail and soundstage you'll get from the M22s if you've been used to the M3s. But keep in mind that the M22s are quite analytical in terms of recording quality.

Really great recordings will sound wonderful, but others that have been EQ'd or have other anomalies will be unpleasant or, rather, you'll be aware of any inherent distortion in the source material. The M22s are not kind to bad recordings. They're a window to the source.

I presume you have a subwoofer, because the M22s can use the extra bass extension.

Regards,
Alan
Jock,

I agree with your comments on the M3s. To me, they sound like M22s with a blanket on top. But then the M22s sound too "thin" to me and in my room at least, my 600 doesn't make them sound any thicker. I guess M80s are the way to go \:\) .
Laser, as Alan said, if it is more detail you want the M22s are for you. I have found placing them close to a wall aids in making them not sound thin, that and a boost of 2-3 db in the bass settings on the receiver. Anyone that has heard my M22s have found them to be quite full and not thin, at least in my house, at mojo's it was as he claims, they were ineed thin.

Mojo next time I come down I am bringing the M22s and we are going to try some new placements to see if I am right.
Good point about placing them closer to the wall. At my place, the backs of the 22s were about a foot-and-a-half, maybe more, away from the wall.

Jason, what's the ETA on the sub? Next week is a great week for me. The wires are all ready for your 22s \:\) .
Alan...point taken about the analytical nature of the M22s. I will keep that in mind in my consideration of making this move. I do have an SVS subwoofer in my system. How do you feel they fare as part of an HT system? Again, I have M3s for surrrounds and the VP100 as my center.

Jason - My placement would have the M22s probably a couple of feet away from the wall...but maybe tweaking and the sub would keep that from being a problem?
You want the M22 closer to the wall to help with bass reinforcement. Alan has commented that when he heard the M22s wall mounted they sounded fuller. I have my M22s about 6-12" away. You can also just add 3-5 or whatever you feel makes them sound better if needed, with the receiver tone controls. By adding the extra bass in to the M22 you are now mimicing the M3 FR curve, but you still get that extra detail the M22 achieve.

What SVS sub do you have? I have the PB12-nsd right now and I think I finally found a position and settings where it blends quite nicely.

Mojo, I just sent them an Email late Friday enquiring about a probable ship date. I am hoping this might prompt a Monday ship and we should have it by Friday, otherwise who knows[sigh].
Jason...I have the 25-31 PCi cylinder from SVS. It was my first sub that I purchased back when I bought my Axioms.

It constantly amazes me...the response on movies is amazing...and on music is actually performs better than I ever thought it would. I am happy with it.
Alan is right. I own M22's for my HT setup and the detail is superb. I have an STF-3 from HSU for a sub and it fills in for the lack of bass in the M22's.

I also have a pair of M3's in my family room for 2ch music and they are great, but they dont have the detail that the M22's do. I did run "Return of the Jedi" thru the M3's in the fam room and they are still pretty impressive though.

M22's are better for HT than the M3's IMO.
Alan,

I was at Jason's today and heard the M80's and the M22's. It was my first listen to Axiom, and I was astounded by the clarity and quality of the sound through each of the models. Since I am building my 1st HT, I am on somewhaat of a budget for the whole project, and may end up with M22's as fronts.

If I use the FMS16 stands, with one of the sides of the base along the wall (ie, the point of the triangle base pointing out from the wall), how much room would there be between the back of the speaker and the wall. From the installation brochure, it looks like maybe 3"-4". Could you please confirm this for me.

Thanks Alan,

Myles
As an owner of both, I can attest that the M22s are an AMAZING speaker, clarity wise, and the M3s are a very warm sounding speaker, but not as honest as the M22s are with music.

If you want louder playback, and crystal clear clarity, the M22s with a sub are with out a doubt better than the M3s.
Like Robb said, if you want clarity and you want to spend less, M22s are the way to go.
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Like Robb said, if you want clarity and you want to spend less, M22s are the way to go.

Spend less? his question was about UPGRADING to the M22s? Did I miss something? Are you all trying to brainwash him on the M80s again?
Well... the M80s do sound nicer...

\:D
My M3's are in the city and I'll be picking them up tomorrow after work. I chose to go with them because I'm not planning to pair them with a sub. Had I wanted a sub, then the M22's would have been a no-brainer.
He said he listened to the 80s but is on a budget so he's considering the 22s. So I said, the 22s is a fine speaker if you're on a budget. Personally, I would save up until I could afford the 80s.
Triple the cost is a lot of saving up!
Tex,

Axiom should really consider getting you to be one of their "audio Experts" I am pretty sure you could convince many future axiom owners to upgrade to M80s instead of of their bookshelf choice!
That would be a "Trade In/Up Expert"
© Axiom Message Boards