Axiom Home Page
Posted By: McD Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 08:24 PM
In order to satisfy the other half, I have to explore having speakers and subs inside a cabinet display underneath my big screen TV. Speakers are not a problem. Sub's may be. Velodyne quotes that most of there subs can be enclosed,(I think they would rather not, but they say you can), and they actually promote a series called the subcontractor series (SC series), which are made for these cabinet custom installs.

Has anyone ever put a EP350v3 or a EP500v2 inside a cabinet with a normal cloth grill on the front for sound outlet. Axiom designers may want to give opinions on this.?????

Myles
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 08:30 PM
I wouldn't do it.

If you REALLY have to hide the subs somewhere, you might consider some architectural-series in-wall thing.

Or put a IB sub in the basement or attic.

Unless you can build the sub enclosure as an integral part of the cabinet, I don't think you'll be happy with the results.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 08:38 PM
what speakers are you enclosing in the cabinet? I would avoid putting anything inside an enclosed cabinet, not speakers or subs.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 09:49 PM
The front port of the EP series allows them to be put in an open enclosure. The speakers are going to be another story as the rear ports will cause problems. Maybe use the VP100s as mains vertically and then one vertically or horizontally for a center.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 09:56 PM
It's not just the ports that are hte issue; it's the boundary effects.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/01/08 10:09 PM
I am guessing the front of the speakers will be flush to the cabinet minimizing effects, it shouldn't be anyworse than in-wall speakers this way
Posted By: myrison Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/02/08 12:33 AM
Not to mention (good) subs inside a cabinet of any sort run the risk of producing a rattle from the cabinet itself or eventually just shaking it completely apart. \:\)

I feel your pain on WAF... it makes us all do very strange undesirable things. ;\)
Posted By: McD Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/02/08 02:49 PM
To all,

Thanks for the feedback.

The cabinet enclosure (8'W x 2'D) will only house the 2 front speakers, the AV components, and possibly a sub, some drawers for CD's etc. The center will be mounted underneath the TV. The frontspeakers that I scoped out are a sealed unit, no ports, and are used in a lot of custom installations, so they are not a problem.

So far I have found everything I need to make the cabinet enclosure system work. I am asking for advice on the sub because the Velodyne SC15 system has a separate 1250 watt amp (outside the sub) which drives the actual sub. (The reviews are good), The sub can be infloor, inwall,inceiling, or in room. The SC15 MSRP is around $1800. I am sure I can get for less, but I wanted to explore the merits of installing a EP500 in an enclosure, because it is an awesome sub for a lot less $$$.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/02/08 03:50 PM
I still think the intent of the designing engineer is pretty important here. I'd consult Axiom directly, but I'm skeptical that you're going to get performance value by placing a box subwoofer within a cabinet niche.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/02/08 03:52 PM
I agree Tom, not a good idea, even if it is front ported.
Posted By: alan Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/02/08 10:17 PM
Hi McD,

I wouldn't do it. It's very limiting because the performance of a subwoofer is partly dependent on its location within your specific room and its interaction with the room's dimensions. Putting it in a big cabinet prevents you from finding the best location for the sub in your room. Can you not hide it in one of the corners?

Speaking generally, subwoofers and speakers already have their own carefully designed enclosures and are meant to sound their best in relatively free space, with no additional obstructions or cabinetry interfering with the designer's intentions.

The sound will be compromised. Why buy really neutral transparent-sounding speakers to downgrade all that performance by sticking them into large cabinetry? Bookshelf speakers may be quite pleasing on open shelving. However, as soon as you put them into enclosed cabinetry, you in effect horn-load them, which really degrades the tonal neutrality.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/03/08 12:23 AM
Werd
Posted By: McD Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/06/08 03:58 PM
Thanks to all , no more questions on this topic.

McD
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/06/08 05:38 PM
So what did you decide?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/06/08 05:52 PM
If asthetics and performance really are important to you, then maybe consider getting an EP400?
Posted By: McD Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/09/08 10:08 PM
To all,

I have redesigned my thinking, with all the new info that I have gathered. Since I will have to go with in walls, The axiom line is out, but I can still use an axiom sub or 2( in room), if I so desire. Until I get closer to actually starting building, I am searching the in wall market. It is amazing what you can find out there, and it is so much fun doing the searching.

So for now I am just relaxing, waiting on the summer weather so I can get started on the other projects my lovely wife has planned for me. I will still watch the forum threads,and contribute when I can or I will post when I need advice.

Thanks for the fun so far.

McD
Posted By: zhimbo Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/10/08 12:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: McD
Since I will have to go with in walls, The axiom line is out,

Er...except for the Axiom in-wall speakers.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/10/08 04:06 AM
Yes Myles, don't rule out Axiom yet, as the in-walls are due out soon, IIRC.
Posted By: McD Re: Axiom subs in a cabinet display - 05/11/08 12:27 AM
Sorry folks, used the wrong word's. " I am hoping that a axiom line of inwalls are available buy the time I construct my HT/music room". Just to let you know, the speakers that are on the top of my list so far (that have the highest WAF, that fit into my building plans, that don't require holes in the front walls, that can be enclosed in a small cabinet if desired, that can be mounted in the 16" space below my planned 65"TV and above my row of cabinets, that will be the same speakers across the front sound stage, etc, etc) are the Atlantic Tecnology FS-5000, with 2-IWTS 10eSR in wall surround rears. If I use there subs, it would be two of their 10e CSB corner subs or two of their box type 422sb subs.

This is so much fun. I am also looking quite seriously at the Emotiva line of separates. I am a little confused with what they have and don't have at the moment, as they are changing the lettering of the components, Going by what is on the opening page of the website I would probably go with the MMC-1 or new UMC-1/MPS-2 combo $2400, this would give me everything I needed for years to come. 2nd choice will be the LPA-1/MMC-1 or new UMC-1 combo $1200, and 3rd choice is the XPA-5/MMC-1 or new UMC-1 combo $1500.

I chose the LPA-1 as 2nd choice because it will produce 6 channels at 125 WPC.

Until later,

Mcd
© Axiom Message Boards