Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi real traps question - 05/03/08 05:54 PM
When you use the real traps test tones do you put your spl meter to record the max db?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: real traps question - 05/03/08 07:23 PM
Not sure I understand your question. It has been some time since I ran through the tones, but from the primary seat location with the meter at ear level you record what is displayed when you run the 10-300hz tones in 1hz increments. A tripod works best as you are going to need to record the results.

You will have to adjust the meter as you go, as when you start you will be on the 60dB reading. As you move to the higher frequencies, you will have to change it to 70, 80, back down to 70, then 80 again, etc...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: real traps question - 05/03/08 09:42 PM
The radio shack spl meter I have has a button that records the max db that it "hears" and displays it on the screen... I don't think that is what I want though so I left it off ..

I have several pretty big dips showing up right now....

My spl meter read 79 db at 99 hz, and then at 100 hz it dropped down to 68 db and then slowly went back up. I have a huge dip at about 265 hz too (down to 51 db!) The pink noise test was calibrated at 75 db..

Will fool around with this chart some and try to post it up later.

Anyway, any pointers on formating this chart to make it look correct? I just have it plotted as a scatter plot on a non-log scale right now.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: real traps question - 05/03/08 10:27 PM
I have a spreadsheet in Excel somewhere that I just plug in the numbers and the graph is plotted for me. I used to right the numbers down, and then transfer them to the provided graph from the realtraps website, but the spreadsheet is easier in my opinion..
Posted By: terzaghi Re: real traps question - 05/04/08 01:13 AM
I have them entered into an excel spreadsheet as well, I'm just not sure if there is a certain way a frequency decibel plot is suppose to be presented. Anyway, I will try and post a pic of my graph when I get a chance.
Posted By: myrison Re: real traps question - 05/05/08 12:27 PM
Terzaghi,

Check out these Excel spreadsheet templates here. These might not give you the full frequency range as they were set up for tuning a sub, but they're at least a template to look at for comparison purposes.
© Axiom Message Boards