Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bilgirami May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 01:54 PM
Guys, just bought and hooked up my Dali suite 1.2 sub with my Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Until this point I was running my Axioms without a sub. After being done with running a monster THX sub cable to LFE input of the sub from my AVR's pre out for sub-1, turning the sub on in AVR settings, and setting the cross over at 80Hz. All I am getting from my sub is a very very muffled, barely audible sound (which cant be called bass) even with the sub volume turned on to max, frequency (at subwoofer) turned to max and playing my Yamaha at -5dB (can try higher than that but my neighbours may not like it because the rest of the speakers are certainly doing their job). Seems to me that the AVR is doing its job because the sub goes from 'standby' to 'on' which tells me that my AVR is sending LFE signal to the sub, but there is something going on with the sub. Tried unplugging/plugging the sub, pushed the off/stndby/on button to on etc., but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas. I am planning on taking my sub and AVR to a friends place later today to check out if it is an AVR issue or a sub issue but any ideas will be appreciated
Posted By: TylerDCA Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 03:09 PM
Hopefully the sub isn't hooked up out of phase:

http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=265
Posted By: Hutzal Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 03:34 PM
Is it a new sub or old sub? Have you used it before?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 03:59 PM
You sure you have it hooked up to the LFE out and not to, say, the Center out? Easy to hook it up to the wrong one.
Posted By: bilgirami Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 04:00 PM
It is a brand new sub, opened the box yesterday. Connected using RCA coax, so I am not sure how I could have it out of phase?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 04:16 PM
If it is indeed hooke3d up to the sub out on the AVR. I would suggest, as Tyler did, to take out the woofer and make sure it is wired in phase.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 04:17 PM
Or you could just flip the phase switch. A tad easier than taking out the woofer, no?
Posted By: bilgirami Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 04:26 PM
On the AVR side, It is connected to pre out for sub using an RCA coax and on the subwoofer side to the LFE in. Are you suggesting that I open up the sub cabinet to make sure it is connected properly? I would go with kcarlile's way fo phase change then :).
Posted By: JNieves Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 04:47 PM
If you haven't already, check to see if your main speakers are set up as "Large" in your receiver's settings and if they are change them to "Small", that should redirect more of the lows to the sub.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:00 PM
I didn't know the phase switch could reverse incorrect wiring in the box?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:01 PM
The phase switch merely switches the polarity of the wiring in the box, so yeah.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:18 PM
hmmmmm
Posted By: Ken.C Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:24 PM
I should trademark that phrase. ;\)
Posted By: Hutzal Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:37 PM
what phrase? \:D
Posted By: terzaghi Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 05:43 PM
Trademark the phase?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/05/08 08:11 PM
What source are you running?
Posted By: bilgirami Re: May Dali Suite 1.2 sub not giving bass - 05/07/08 05:28 PM
I was running DVD. Had a pro look at it and the sub definitely has some issues. I am getting it replaced under warranty.
Thanks guys.
© Axiom Message Boards