Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi denon 3808 keeps reverting to old settings - 06/01/08 01:54 PM
Can anyone help me out... for some reason my denon keeps reverting to previous settings.

for example, When I first set up the denon I ran the subwoofer higher and the SW level was set to -10db on the receiver.

I have changed this so that it needs to be -2.5 db on the receiver now...

However, half the time I check it is backl at -10db, no matter how many times I change it back.

Any ideas?
Posted By: fredk Re: denon 3808 keeps reverting to old settings - 06/01/08 02:13 PM
You forgot to do the secret handshake after making the changes? Or maybe it was the decoder ring...
I did a quick search and found out on the following web page that one of the fixes after updating the firmware is the "Configuration settings should be retained after update". Stated under Fixed/Improved #5.

Cam

info
I'll have to check but I think I have the most up to date firmware.

Wheelz, I think that is referring to the fact that firmware updates in the beginning would reset all of your settings, but now they don't.

Maybe I will just have to do a hard reset and re-calibrate everything manually without audessey.

I just don't want to have to rename all of my inputs, adjust channel levels, distances, crossovers, speaker sizes, ect all over again... I think a complete reset sets everything back to default.
Terzaghi, can't you save all of your settings to a file on your computer via the web access and then load them back up after a hard reset? That should transfer at least some of them back if you end up trying a full reset.

Jason
good point, forgot about that feature... I just have to remember how to do that \:\)

hopefully I can transfer everything EXCEPT the audessey settings... I think that is the problem- the denon keeps wanting to revert to the audessey calibration even though manual adjustment have been made and audessey EQ is turned OFF.
You have one of the options selected that is causing this. It's one of those that I know is there, but hard to find when you want to find it. I'll try looking later...
I can't remember which it is either. It's a menu option that applies Audyssey to every input.

Wow, that was completely useless of me.
DO the hard reset and everything else without ever running Audyssey, I did and I like the results much better.
ok, I will just do a hard reset and completely set everything up from scratch (allthough I already now what crossovers, channel levels, ect I want so it shouldn't take too much time.)

I am out of town until friday So I will do it over the weekend.

I guess the manual tells you how to do a hard reset?

Also, will I have to re-install the firmware after doing a complete reset?

Thanks,

David
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
ok, I will just do a hard reset and completely set everything up from scratch (allthough I already now what crossovers, channel levels, ect I want so it shouldn't take too much time.)

I am out of town until friday So I will do it over the weekend.

I guess the manual tells you how to do a hard reset?

Also, will I have to re-install the firmware after doing a complete reset?

Thanks,

David

microprocessor reset (master power off, hold down both the DSP and the Standard button, master power on, wait for three flashes, release buttons)

standard reset (master power off, hold down both the 'up arrow' button and the 'down arrow' button, master power on, wait for the flashing, release buttons).
Posted By: Murph Re: denon 3808 keeps reverting to old settings - 06/04/08 12:07 PM
Denon retains your firmware even after a hard reset. At least my 3806 does.
That makes sense. If it works anything like a computer, the firmware is stored in NVRAM (NV = non-volatile, meaning it don't go nowhere unless you specifically tell it to). If a hard reset were to wipe it, then the unit would also need to have some mechanism of restoring the original firmware, which it would need to have backed up somewhere.
Glad to see someone can think things through logically here!
Carefull what you say, logical and this forum, are not usually mentioned in the same sentence.
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Carefull what you say, logical and this forum, are not usually mentioned in the same sentence.

<----< looks around to make sure he's not at AVS forums
\:D
just got home and checked the settings and it had reverted back to the stupid old settings again. I am tired of that crap so I just did a hard reset and set up everything by hand. No more stupid audessey EQ!

Hopefully this will take away my denon's ability to decide how I should be listening to my music/movies.
You may still have the same problem if you have “Default” selected. There’s several places where there is a default option to check. If I recall, you can select the default function and it will bring up a yes/no box. (Going off my aging and failing memory here)

Go to – [Manual Set Up > Speaker Set Up]

Check under the channel level and distance folders and make sure Default is not selected.

Go to – [HDMI > Audio > Manual EQ]

Make sure that Default is not selected.

Go to – [Parameter > Audio > Surround Parameters]

Make sure that Default is not selected.
© Axiom Message Boards