Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zak Home theater seating? I need some suggestions. - 07/12/08 06:54 AM
I have finally convinced the wife to swap out our leather couch and love seat for a dedicated home theater sectional.
I would like to get a unit that can accommodate 4 people in total as that always seems to be the viewer count.

We have a width restriction of 14.5 feet (wall to wall) but I would actually need something narrower as I need access to the back of the room for Blu-ray and DVD storage.
We have looked at both curved sectionals and straight sectionals from Palliser furniture and La-Z-Boy and I think either configuration would work great.

Does anyone have any suggestions for specific brands or models?
Here's our current room layout minus the furniture:

Thanks,
Zak
Hi Zak,

I purchased 2 rows of the Palliser Garrich HT seats in a straight row configuration with the power recline. They seem to be of pretty good quality. I'd go with the straight row configuration if you are worried about space. The straight configuration is narrower. You can view my setup here http://www.axiomaudio.com/images/kellerht.jpg
Hey -- where'd you get the axiom-specifc shapes?
I love my lazy boys.
I am also limited in the "W" direction. Check out Berkline "088" series seating. Apparently it has been renamed "45088" now.
Berkline 45088
schematics
We bought Palliser a year or so ago, and have been really happy with it, Orlando collection I believe. We were restricted on width too, couldn't go quite 4 seats, but the Orlando had oversized seats so we did a loveseat section, wedge, single chair. The love seat section is big enough for 3 if needed. We've been happy with them, I have no qualms on recommending them. If you're tight for space, you may want to consider taking out the middle wedge and make the center a loveseat section, it would save a little space. Good luck.
 Originally Posted By: armaraas
We bought Palliser a year or so ago, and have been really happy with it, Orlando collection I believe. We were restricted on width too, couldn't go quite 4 seats, but the Orlando had oversized seats so we did a loveseat section, wedge, single chair. The love seat section is big enough for 3 if needed. We've been happy with them, I have no qualms on recommending them. If you're tight for space, you may want to consider taking out the middle wedge and make the center a loveseat section, it would save a little space. Good luck.

I'll second that. If I were to do it over again, I would have put a loveseat section in my front row center to be able to lay to the side if wanted.

Also, from looking at your schematic, I would recommend bringing the surrounds up to the forward of the room a bit (maybe to the window). Due to my space limitations, my surround/rear layout is similar to yours, and I would have loved my surrounds up forward 2-3 feet more.
I wouldn't move those up unless the seating is moved up too. I have had QS8's in front of my seating and behind, and they sound better when they are behind you.
 Originally Posted By: anthony11
Hey -- where'd you get the axiom-specifc shapes?

I stole them from the product description pages on the Axiom site.
Don't tell anyone!

Zak
 Originally Posted By: gbondioli
I am also limited in the "W" direction. Check out Berkline "088" series seating. Apparently it has been renamed "45088" now.
Berkline 45088
schematics

Those are gorgeous!
Can you get them without the power recline?

Thanks,
Zak
I have tried a few configurations in my virtual room and I think I can fit a 4 seater in the room.
I have created 2 configurations below based on "The Matinee" by La-Z-Boy:

Option 1
Simple design with 4 recliners and 5 cup holders (119.5 inches wide).

Option 2
Reclining chaise loungers on each end and 2 recliners in the middle separated by a console (129 inches wide).

Which one should I choose?

Thanks,
Zak

I like the recliners, I find them more comfortable than chaise loungers.
If your wife is like mine, the chaise...she really wanted one when we got new furniture and is glad we have it now.

A little WAF could go a long way for a project like this.
I'd the top one. You can always recline them into chaise style loungers.
Where does one get home theatre seating in Canada that doesn't cost a fortune? It seems to be priced much higher here or if a US store does ship here, the shipping kills the deal. \:\(
Lafuma(or equivalent for cheaper) lawn chairs?

It's the usual scenario we have up here, we get ripped off for just about everything.
 Originally Posted By: Infamous1
Where does one get home theatre seating in Canada that doesn't cost a fortune?

Dude, there's lots of options for Canadians! You can get a full set of these for practically nothing! \:\)

Posted By: CV Re: Home theater seating? I need some suggestions - 07/17/08 02:55 PM
Hey, that chair is upside down... though I suppose it's correct orientation for a toilet.
A little too open aired for a toilet, I don't think it would hold too much.
It would hold plenty, unless your diet is high in fiber.
I must say Peter, every time my family goes out fishing, Ernie's "Heeeeere fishee fishee fishee" is said a few times, sadly we never have the fish jump intot the boat, although it has happened but not after saying the magic phrase.
Palliser Furniture is a Canadian company. Do they still charge an arm and leg to ship within Canada?
© Axiom Message Boards