Axiom Home Page
Posted By: amer DVD player with DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDCD? - 02/21/03 06:16 PM
Anyone know of a progressive scan DVD player that will do all 3 (DVD-A/SACD/HDCD) decoding? I have found lots that will do 2 out of 3, but haven't located one that will do all 3.
Only one player does this:
Apex Digital AD-7701
It even has Karaoke
I never really liked Apex though

You mostlike know this but here it goes ....
DVD-Audio: Indicates that this DVD player is capable of playing back the new DVD-Audio format. DVD-Audio is a super high resolution audio only format, featuring 6-channel surround sound. DVD-Audio playback requires 5.1-channel analog inputs and an "analog bypass" mode in the A/V receiver. There lots of new tiles and growing but at what cost.....

SACD: Indicates that this DVD player is capable of playing back the Super Audio CD (SACD) format. SACD is a super high resolution audio only format, featuring 2-channel stereo or 6-channel surround sound. Unless otherwise noted, SACD compatibility is for multi-channel and stereo CDs. Older models are only compatible with stereo SACDs and are designated as "Yes, stereo". Multi-channel SACD playback requires 5.1-channel analog inputs and an "analog bypass" mode in the A/V receiver. There are currently over 320 SACD music titles, including nearly 100 multi-channel SACD music titles, available worldwide as of early 2002

HDCD: is short for High Definition Compatible DigitalĀ®, this is an enhancement to the regular audio CD to increase the effective word-length from 16-bit to 20-bit. Longer word-lengths are better, since they theoretically increase the quality of the sound in terms of depth, richness, warmth, and wider dynamic range. There are approximately 5,000 HDCD-encoded audio CD titles available as of early 2001.

That being there is not much SACD titles so I do not put it high in importance.
What got good ratings... Panasonic DVD-RP91 and just make sure you have HDCD in your reciever.
If I can find that link with all the DVD players in the market with head to head testing I will forward it later.

Saturn

Posted By: amer Re: DVD player with DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDCD? - 02/22/03 12:05 AM
I agree that its unlikely that SACD will ever really catch on, but Sony is persistent. Of the two DVD-A and HDCD are the preferred ones.Please do forward the ranking list if you find it.
In reply to:

That being there is not much SACD titles so I do not put it high in importance.

Ummm... The title list for SACD is bigger than DVD-A, depending on your music type. DVD-A also has DRM included in the form of a watermark.
Posted By: JohnK Re: DVD player with DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDCD? - 02/22/03 12:39 AM
Try this.
Will there, or is there a CD player with these capabilities? I have a DVD Player, but have thought of getting a single or Multi CD Player. It seems strange to buy another DVD player, just to get better quality out of our music CD's! LOL! Sorry guys and gals, I am just new to the Home audio scene.
Posted By: JohnK Re: DVD player with DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDCD? - 02/22/03 01:15 AM
Oak, if what you mean is that you're presently using a CD/DVD player to play 2-channel music CDs and you think that a separate CD player would significantly improve the situation, it's highly unlikely. Recent CD/DVD players have lasers optimized for the two functions. If you want a multi-disc CD or CD/DVD player as a matter of convenience, that's another matter, but don't expect audibly improved sound.
JohnK got the link.
Posted By: sushi Re: DVD player with DVD-Audio, SACD, and HDCD? - 02/22/03 12:51 PM
I think amer meant a comparison of relative popularity among the three emerging standards. I would also like to see such comparisons. Any links?

Cheers!
© Axiom Message Boards