Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Foghorn Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:31 PM
A cousin of mine has a beach house in Florida that he allows my family to use any time we want so we have vacationed there for 5 of the past 7 years. Each year, we like to leave something behind to upgrade the place. This year I would like to upgrade the really old 23" TV - especially give that we will be there during the Olympics and everyone in the family (ages 11 - 83) is a fan so it will be something we can do together after spending the day on the beach.

I have 2 questions:

1) Where can I get the best deal on a 32" to 42" TV? I am willing to go with a refurbished one. I have looked around and can get something reasonable for around $600 (32" Westinghouse) but I just wondered if some member of this forum knows of a place that could get me a better deal.

2) If I buy a 720p TV will that work with a Blue Ray player (already thinking about next year's gift) and is it worth getting a Blue Ray player if you don't have a 1080p TV? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:32 PM
I am your long lost cousin.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:38 PM
"I am your long lost cousin."

I figured I would discover several new family members with that post.

After meeting the rest of the family (or just me for that matter), you would probably decide it isn't worth it, even with free use of a beach house.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:40 PM
In a slightly more helpful vein, a 720p TV should work just fine with blu-ray, and I don't think 1080p is anywhere near necessary for a TV that size.
Posted By: Foghorn Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:43 PM
Thank you. Now if someone can just tell me where I can get a 42" TV for $99 or so......
Posted By: thefwam Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 10:50 PM
My 50" 720p HDTV with Blu Ray to me looks no better or worse than a 60" 1080p. i think until you get into 60" and bigger the 1080p doesn't come into play except in extremely close sitting positions. While on the search for a secondary (and flat panel) TV, I was able to find a 37" Vizio refurbed for 599 shipped. That deal comes and goes it seems, but we couldn't be happier. We've had one pixel die/get stuck, but from the viewing distance of 8 feet I can NEVER tell where it is. Just some food for thought...

otherwise, the 32" vizio can usually be found at Sam's Club or Costco for around 550. We have been happy with our Vizio as a secondary TV.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/22/08 11:30 PM
I agree about 1080p not being an issue until you get a much bigger screen.

How about a 40" Samsung refurb for $799? Same place (refurbdepot) has a Sharp 32" for $499. I don't have any experience with them.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/23/08 12:18 AM
Try Tiger Direct. I have used them before with no complaints.

167 different units - 32" starting at $449
Posted By: ratpack Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/24/08 02:20 AM
My only comment would be to make sure that whatever TV you get has a HD tuner in it.

I have heard that many companies have started unloading their old "analog" TVs.

Of course, you can always get a coupon for a $50 HD tuner.
Posted By: Murph Re: Inexpensive TV for a gift - 07/24/08 12:36 PM
I have no advice on the TV aspect but I will add a positive reference to the Tiger Direct suggestion. I have been buying PC parts and other gadgets from them for years and have never had anything but the most positive experience with them. At least with the .ca site. No experience with the US sight but I suspect it is just as quick and trouble free.
© Axiom Message Boards