Axiom Home Page
Posted By: myrison Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 01:08 AM
Hello to all of my Axiom buds... sorry I've been absent for awhile. Withdrawal has finally set in and I'm back (at least until baby arrives in a couple of weeks).

One final project I'm trying to get done before then is to purchase chairs and build a riser in our theater room. For the few of you who have been here or read through my old posts while planning the theater, you'll remember that I have a sloped ceiling on one end of the room and as a result a fairly low screen height. I've settled on the chairs I'll be putting in. I found a great deal on the Berkline 45004 model if anyone is interested. Getting them for about 60% of what my dealer wanted to sell them for locally.

Picture:

To overcome the low screen height, I need to build a decent-sized riser in the back of my room that will look over the chairs in the front row.

I've used the riser theater calculator to determine the height I need and am now moving on to try to construct the riser. (a scary thought, as I am about a 4 out of 10 on construction skills)

I've put together a model for the construction in Google Sketchup, which if you never have used it is a terribly useful tool for projects like this.

The first picture is a basic model of my theater room showing where the front/rear row of seats will be. (probably less useful than the second drawing, but included just in case) \:\)

The second model shows the actual blueprint for the riser. The simple design comes from a lot of reading over at AVS forum and a few other sites. The dimensions are 6' deep by ~93" wide x 20" tall with one step about half-way up. I realize this is a bit tall for a single step, but there's limited real estate to put in a second step and also the design gets more complicated than I can easily manage with multiple steps.

It is essentially two large boxes made of 2x10 boards stacked on top of one another and framed across with more 2x10 boards on joist hangars to provide the flooring surface. The riser will be stuffed with insulation to dampen the sound and then topped with two layers of 3/4" plywood (separated by 30lb roofing felt to minimize vibrations). I've also read that you can drill holes in the front and back of the riser to allow for better sound transmission (apparently to increase bass frequency response in the room?), though I haven't figured out if I'll do that yet as I don't totally understand the reasons for it. (I have very good bass response now and am not sure if messing with that is the right way to go, though I realize that adding a 100 square foot hollow box is likely to change the profile a little!). With all that said, the blueprint:

Once constructed, I'll be putting a pad and carpet over it to match the rest of my room.

With that incredibly long lead in, is there any advice the theater / construction gurus in the audience would offer?

I'll probably start putting my required parts & tools list together tomorrow and plan on building Sunday. I figured before I start nailing boards together I'd better at least run this by someone to make sure I haven't overlooked something terribly obvious. I appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone through this before (or even if you haven't). ;\)

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: real80sman Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 03:17 AM
Jason,

When I went to hear Klipshguy's system, his riser was quite high - not sure of the exact height, but I would guess it was similar to the one you're building. While sitting back there, I noticed the higher frequencies were attenuated. I'd consider tilting the mains back, or putting them on risers as well. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 03:55 AM
Good advice Shawn, thanks for chiming in. If I can manage to build a 6x9 riser that doesn't fall over, building something for the speakers to sit on should be a piece of cake. ;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 08:07 AM
Jason,

I had a riser built in my theater also. It's not as high as yours (only one step instead of 2), but it is plenty high to get an unobstructed view of the screen from the back row.

I'm glad you mentioned you will be stuffing it with insulation. The guy who did mine did not stuff it and it really did create a resonance chamber in the room. Make sure you get the most dense material you can and really pack it in there. Since it is for sound absorption, and not for insulating heat, pack it really dense.

The bass response will definitely change once the construction is complete. Since I know you have the BFD, and have been using REW, it will be very interesting to see a plot before and after (before you re-equalize). Please post the results when you are done, I'd love to see the impact.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 08:09 AM
Also, one more bit of advice... Wood is cheap, so put as much cross bracing in the chamber you can before you insulate. Make it as rigid as you can.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 12:08 PM
Where I live, 2x10s are pretty expensive. Structurally speaking, you could build the whole thing out of 2x6s with a single layer of 3/4" plywood and it would be plenty strong and rigid. I'd do a single box of 2x6 with short legs to get the proper height and wrap the sides with plywood for stiffness.

I'd also recommend using construction adhesive and screws (deck screws, not drywall screws) on the plywood decking. Joist hangers are a good idea, but put a little pad of roofing felt between the joist and hanger

This will also be more stable over time. Building it out of solid wood like you show increases the likelihood of wood movement over time, which will cause the joints to loosen and eventually start creaking and squeaking.

Good luck. This is a pretty straight forward project as long as you take your time and measure twice before you cut.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Joe -> the only problem I see with using 2x6's is that the end product needs to be just over 20" tall, so even if I did 3 boxes out of 2x6s on top of each other topped with a sheet of 3/4" plywood, I'm only up to 17" or so (before carpet).

I haven't gone to Home Depot yet to price this out, so if the 2x10's are really that expensive I might be motivated to get more creative.

Thanks for the advice on putting roofing felt between wood and joist hanger. Sounds like a likely place for some creaking/squeaking, good plan.

Quote:
Building it out of solid wood like you show increases the likelihood of wood movement over time, which will cause the joints to loosen and eventually start creaking and squeaking.

Joe, can you please clarify what you meant by this? "building it out of solid wood" What would the other option be?

Thanks again guys...

Jason
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 02:03 PM
Jason,

You and your wife are a great looking couple, I'm sure that baby is going to be a looker. \:\)

I think I either used 2x8's or 2x10's for my riser, then wrapped with padding and carpet to match the rest of the room carpeting. I also have pieces cut and angled in each corner to make it rock solid as well as 3 2x4 cross members to help support the plywood. It is very heavy, however, I attached moving buddies on each corner so I can easily slide it around the room if needed.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 02:04 PM
The key is you have to allow enough height so the front row heads don't get in the way. I also had to raise my screen up a bit to accomplish this...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 05:15 PM
I have seen some built with lips on the top level that are big enough to allow putting rope lighting around the perimeter. Might be a consideration for letting people see the steps in the dark, especially with the multiple steps you will have.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/26/08 08:18 PM
Jason,

You also want your eyes to be anywhere from the bottom of the screen to 1/3rd from the bottom. For me when seated in the front row, my eyes are right at the bottom of the screen, this way the folks in the back are at about 1/3rd up from the bottom.

In the drawing you show, it seems you'll be looking down to the screen, which won't be comfortable when seated or reclinging a bit.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/27/08 02:32 AM
Agreed Randy, unfortunately with the way the room is now, that's the compromise I'm stuck with. (It's either that or the back row is lower but can't see the lower portion of the screen, which is definitely the greater of two evils).

Because of the sloped low ceiling above the screen, it's going to be this way for awhile until I get creative on how to move the fixed screen frame I have and hang it from the sloped ceiling. It's not undoable, it just hasn't been a priority yet.

I appreciate it the advice for sure. I just don't have a solution to that problem yet. One step at a time. :-)
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/27/08 01:51 PM
Jason,
I was referring to making only 1 box and elevating it to the correct height by using legs in the 4 corners (and intermediate points along the sides as necessary). You could also make very short stud walls, similar to the walls of a house, and set the 2x6 platform on top of these. This saves on material and gives the box more freedom to expand and contract with changes in humidity during the seasons. Plywood is much more stable and stronger than 2x material.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/27/08 02:24 PM
Thanks for clarifying Joe.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/28/08 02:35 PM
Jason,

I assume that pic is an offical pic of the recliners and not you and your wife, otherwise, you might go blind sitting that distance from your TV.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/28/08 02:52 PM
You're right about that, not us. \:\) We do sit a little closer than average, but that guys feet are about a foot from the screen.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 07/28/08 03:03 PM
By the way... kicked off the project this weekend. Cut all the wood and hauled it up the stairs to the media room. Assembly begins tonight or tomorrow night. I already had all the wood purchased before Joe's recommendation, so we're going with the original plan. Hopefully with lots of screws, wood straps, and corner braces, it'll be rock solid. Only one way to find out. \:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/13/08 10:33 AM
The project is now successfully completed. Carpeting was done by a local shop that carpeted our house. (installation was cheap enough that it wasn't worth the risk to me of having an ugly installation that the wife would comment negatively on). The rest of the work was done between me and a friend and turned out very well (IMHO). The only thing I'm waiting on now is the arrival of the new chairs to sit on and in front of the riser.

Below are a few pictures of the construction - several more are available under the link in my signature.

Initial framing with 2x10s

Added 2x4 bracing around all edges to secure 2 2x10s on top of one another

Cross sections filled with insulation to deaden resonance and BOOMY bass in the corners.

2" holes cut in front of riser to allow sound waves to pass through insulation-filled riser and decrease resonance.

Completed & Carpeted - now with registers cut in riser to allow sound waves to pass through riser and decrease low frequency standing sound waves... i.e. "boomy" bass in room corners where the riser meets the walls.

You will probably note the registers are cut off-center. This was done purposely to provide the best combination of structural integrity and sound absorption. I will have a row of chairs sitting right in front of the registers so they'll never be seen once the chairs are put up on the riser.

I did test the riser before I cut the front 2" holes and back registers and bass in the rear of the room was truly awful.
Booming, pounding ugly bass. The kind only 17-year old with a hatchback full of 15" woofers in a homemade box could appreciate. And, since I don't have of those around on a regular basis, I decided to try cutting the holes.

The reason I tested before cutting is because I was fairly skeptical that cutting these holes would have any effect whatsoever (considering I had little to no idea what I was doing). As it turns out, however, it had a very noticeable effect and response in the rear of the room is now much more normal. It is still not as good as in the main listening position, but it's MUCH better.

I will at some point run another response sweep and post the results, but I want to get the furniture in first before going through all that effort again, so I'll report back in a few weeks.

Jason

Finally, another view of the finished riser

Posted By: skubic Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/13/08 11:53 AM
Wow, looks great Jason! Very professional looking. Now, you've got me thinking I need a second level.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/13/08 12:46 PM
Your project turned out great, nice job.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/13/08 03:55 PM
Wow! Very inspiring and instructional. Good think you got that done before the blessed event, eh? \:\)
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/13/08 10:32 PM
Excellent job! I wish I had the room and budget for that in my HT.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/14/08 08:40 PM
Thanks guys, glad the pics were interesting. Tom, yes, this absolutely was a 'must do' before the baby arrived or spousal support for the project would have dropped through the floor. ;\) (She does admit now though that she's impressed it turned out like it did - I can't really fault her lack of confidence, I was far from sure myself when it started)

I can't claim to be an expert by any means, but if someone in the future is going through this, please feel free to hit me up and I'll share what I learned during the project.

Now that the riser is done, I'm getting really excited for the chairs to arrive (~2-3 weeks). Hopefully between now and then I manage to get some sleep. \:\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/15/08 10:11 PM
Jason,

VERY nice. That boomieness is what I encountered when I put my riser in. I was hoping a nice dense insulation in your riser would help a bit. I was actually thinking about cutting the holes in the front of my riser (my internal supports go front to back instead of side to side). Did you only but the holes in the front board? If so, is it too late to pull the top off and do that to the other supports?

It looks great Jason, lot's of hard work there!
Posted By: samandnoah Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/15/08 10:47 PM
Wow, Jason, that looks amazing!

As someone who's been in the room pre-riser, I can attest to what appears to be an incredible job. Really impressive. Looking forward to someday seeing it again post-riser. Need to borrow that SPL meter again?!?!

Good luck with the pending arrival (baby, not seating)! \:D

Rich
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/16/08 02:25 AM
Hey Rich, thanks for the note. Baby is officially here, so we're in recovery mode now. \:\)

Steve,

Actually, I think it is better if your supports go front to back for what you're trying to do with dispersing sound through the riser, but to really accomplish what you have in mind, you'd need to cut holes in the front as well as registers (or ports, whatever you want to call them) in the back, especially near the corners.

In my case, I get the job done with the horizontal cross beams and the front ports (as opposed to drilling them all the way through all cross beams) as all of my cross beams are floating. i.e. the cross beams only go across the top level (1 2x10 high, hanging on joist hangers, not 2 high resting on the floor).

So the riser consists of two large cavities that run front to back divided only by the center beams which run front to back and do sit two high to provide structural support in the middle of the riser. The sound can pass freely front to back in each cavity and be dispersed through the insulation in each side. Don't get me wrong, sound in the back of the room still is not good as the primary position where the bass is tuned to a flat response, but it is quite a bit better this way than without the ports cut.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/16/08 06:31 PM
Picture added again just as reference for what I'm talking about with the floating cross beams. They hang only on the top level, the area below is open and stuffed with insulation.

Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/16/08 08:25 PM
Jason,

I see, so it passes through on the lower level. That was a good idea.

Since mine goes front to back, I was thinking of hole-sawing out holes in the front step, then maybe put some registers in the back like you did. It's too late to insulate for me however...

Did you have any guidance on how big the holes should be in relation to the chamber space?

Steve
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/19/08 03:23 PM
I read accounts of people doing it with both 1.5" - 2.5" holes... Unfortunately I didn't see any explanation of why a certain size should be used... the only thing I read about size of the holes was that the larger total "hole space" (combination of the size of each hole and number of holes) the more sound could pass through and the more cancellation would occur. This is definitely anecdotal, so if you find anything that conflicts with that advice, definitely go with that source over what I remember. ;\)

Check this article on Audioholics for a good review.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 01:14 AM
This should be the last time I revive this thread from the dead... but my chairs came in and this seems like the right place to post the pictures since the riser was built specifically for the new chair setup.

If anyone is interested in the specifics, the chairs are Berkline Model 45004 (which is one of their two most popular narrower lines for setups that don't have huge amounts of room). The color is pattern 7110, leather #87. The front row has a love seat in the middle for the wife and I to share, and the rest are all single chairs with armrests on both side.

I got a GREAT deal on these from a place called Home Theater Authority. For all of my Canadian Axiom buds, they gladly ship to both Canada and the US. If anyone wants more info, please feel free to ask. I'd love to send them some more business after all the help they were to me (the main guy there even helped me with the design of my riser to make sure it'd work with the chairs).

So... with all that said, pictures!

Close up view from the front (one seat reclined):

Zoomed out a bit showing the back of the theater:

Profile view of the back row from the door:
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/jason.cumberland/HomeTheaterPicsSecondPhase/photo?authkey=Xuj_PXKMenI#5240086076086932386[/img]

Back to front view:

With this addition, I think I can safely say I'm done with the work in the theater for awhile... but then again, every time I say that I find something else to do in there. ;\)

Jason
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 02:12 AM
Whoah! Looks like you could really spend all day in one of those chairs. They look fantastic.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 03:01 AM
The place looks great! the Right front seat must be lots of fun with the EP600 right behind it.

I wonder if the new seating has affected the output of the subs, etc. Have you recalibrated/tweaked things yet?
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 04:38 AM
Thanks guys. Jason, I haven't remeasured the subs yet, though I know I need to. It's harder to find a couple of hours to play loud bass curves with the new baby in the house, but I'll get it done eventually, just have to find the right time. (I really am interested to see how much has changed since I've added the riser and all the new furniture).

For now I'm enjoying the comfort of the chairs compared to the 15 year-old recliner I had in the middle of the room before these came in. Once I get over that, I'll get back to my calibration tasks.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 09:10 AM
I'm sure the new baby would love to hear some bass curves, I suspect it would sound something like a heart beat if done right.

BTW, congratulations...not sure if that was ever said on the new addition to the family, the baby, not the furniture.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/30/08 02:48 PM
Your theater looks great, congrats.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/31/08 12:24 AM
Dear Jason,

I checked in on this thread several times, and half-composed a number of replies.

Having had the good fortune to experience that room in its earlier state, my emotional delight to your recent project is heightened considerably. The chairs look rich and comfortable, the riser construction is clever-as-ever, and the overall effect is really a great example of how wonderful a realistic-sized theatre room can be. I just love the elegant mount of the VP150! We'd REQUIRE a loveseat-thing in such an installation for our family, too. And your projector just rocks.

I just don't see how you could have done it any better.

It was kind and helpful of you to document your construction. Thank You!

Now, can you just sit and enjoy your theatre? \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/31/08 12:38 AM
I don't think it would be a hobby if you could just be happy with it.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 08/31/08 02:59 PM
Tom, thanks for the nice note and compliments. In fact, yes, yesterday I spent hours in the theater watching football and enjoying the heck out of it. My wife graciously allowed me to get my fill of both the new chairs and football yesterday while taking care of the little one.

Last night we got the Husker game on PPV and watched it together until we both fell asleep in the third quarter (at around 9:30). \:o The joys of new parenthood I guess.

It is the first football game I've watched in a long time that was not in HD, and oh my was it painful... maybe another reason why we fell asleep (admittedly, I'm grasping for excuses) \:\)

Jason
Posted By: real80sman Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/01/08 10:01 AM
No, I think you fell asleep because those chairs are WAY too comfortable. It's going to be a continual problem - didn't anyone warn you? Your only solution is to send me those, and replace them with these:

Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/01/08 02:01 PM
Shawn - I'll monitor the problem carefully and advise after careful research whether your solution is viable.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer to help.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/28/08 05:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

I wonder if the new seating has affected the output of the subs, etc. Have you recalibrated/tweaked things yet?

It's been awhile, but I finally got around to it today. The seating and riser definitely did affect the room response. Below is what the raw response looked like before the room changes (i.e. before any equalization). Red is pre-changes, Green is post-changes (with chairs & riser added).

After about an hour of tweaking, the BFD has again worked its magic and returned my primary listening position to a very balanced response (below):

The BFD is truly a wonderful little addition to the HT. It creates a clearly audible difference to me.

On the other hand, despite running multiple subs, my responses in the rest of the room varies pretty wildly (though better than when I just had one). Below is an eye chart of what the response curves for every seat in the room look like. Fortunately I only sit in one chair, my guests can suffer. \:\/

Posted By: bridgman Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/28/08 11:26 PM
I'm guessing that would be the chair with the dark purple line ?

\:D
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 12:39 AM
You got it... you passed the eye test. \:\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 12:51 AM
Jason,

Actually, the post raw curve is kinda nice. I'll bet you could get a relatively flat response with only 2 filers:

38hz, .22 octave b/w, -7db
60Hz, .16 octave b/w, +6db

How many filters did you wind up using?

Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 01:03 AM
Hey Steve, good to hear from you again. \:\)

I managed most of the worst peaks/dips with just ~3 filters, but of course tinkered with it further until I had it looking like it does above... I think I ended up with ~10 filters, most of which were minor tweaks after the first few major adjustments.

It's admittedly a sickness I have that demands that I tinker to see how flat I can make the curve, even though I realize that beyond the first few, the audible difference is entirely negligible - but isn't the graph pretty?! \:\)

Jason
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 01:52 AM
It is, nice and smooth! Just don't stick me in the teal chair if I ever come to visit.

I noticed your after chart takes an 8db hit at 20Hz (only about 2db before). Do you notice it when listening to music?
Posted By: DaveG Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 11:38 AM
Is system tweaking an official illness?
Posted By: Murph Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 11:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: DG56
Is system tweaking an official illness?

Yes, but it's not extremely contagious. It seems only a few have the genetic makeup to succumb to it. It's rarely fatal but there is no cure. You can only learn to manage your illness and try to live a relatively normal life.

In medieval times, some physicians believed that you could catch a disease by looking at a sick person. Many modern day physicians discount the theory for this particular malady but do claim that you run the risk of infection by listening to another sick person's sound equipment. Simply reading about other peoples sound equipment is enough to act as a sort of reverse placebo which tricks the mind into lowering the bodies natural immune system and then you run a much greater risk of catching the disease when g exposed to sound equipment.
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 02:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
It is, nice and smooth! Just don't stick me in the teal chair if I ever come to visit.

I noticed your after chart takes an 8db hit at 20Hz (only about 2db before). Do you notice it when listening to music?

I actually didn't even notice that... Clearly my obsession to flatten the curve overrode the rest of the concerns.

This weekend I maxed out the time available simply making the equalization changes, so listening time thereafter was pretty limited. I suspect though that a dip at 20 Hz would not audible in most of the music I listen to. For movies though, it's definitely sub par...

Great, more tweaking ahead (after I told my wife I was done). :0 I'm sure she won't be that surprised to hear I was wrong.

Thanks for pointing out the dip in the curve, I should be able to boost it fairly easily with the BFD (if only its equalization went down to 15 Hz) \:\)

Jason
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 04:43 PM
 Quote:
It seems only a few have the genetic makeup to succumb to it

Is buying a book with the title "Master Handbook of Acoustics a sign of early onset of the disease?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 04:45 PM
No, by that point it's far too late to do anything about it. You're doomed to a life of making room treatments out of insulation, buying multiple subwoofers, and spending all of your time on various audio forums.
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 04:49 PM
To late even for intervention by JP? \:o
Posted By: medic8r Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 05:08 PM
Well, my stock portfolio is tanking, so I need the extra business, so - NO! It's not too late! Come on in for many sessions!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 05:09 PM
What insurance do you take? Also, will the insurance cover the flights?
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 10:58 PM
Flights? I don't need no stinkin' flights. Hey JP. I live next to an Olive garden.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/29/08 11:05 PM
*JP hops in the Medicopter(tm)*

T minus 4
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 09/30/08 02:33 AM
\:D Olicoper more like!
Posted By: myrison Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/01/08 03:08 AM
"Hi, my name is Jason, and I'm a tweak-o-h-olic..."

Now you say.... "Hi Jason."

With that out of the way...

Originally Posted By: SRoode

Problem solved!

Thanks to the earlier pointer, I picked up ~10db at 19-20 hz... even more rumble!

I'm now packing up the long RCA cables and the SPL meter for awhile. One of these days I'm sure I'll even be able to watch something like U-571 again at full volume. Drawing pretty charts has held me over for awhile, but I think I'm ready for something more satisfying. ;\)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/01/08 11:22 PM
Now that is a NICE curve. Well done Jason!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/01/08 11:26 PM
That is, to a curve, what Calista Flockhart is to curves.
Posted By: fredk Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/02/08 01:15 AM
\:D
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/02/08 04:55 AM
Her head is rather bulbous, no?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/02/08 11:53 AM
Only in comparison. I think of her head as a peak and her body as a null.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theater Riser Construction - 10/02/08 01:55 PM
\:\) \:\) If I had come up with that one, I'd be smiling all day because of it.
© Axiom Message Boards