Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nick B blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 05:59 PM
I just noticed on amazon.com that the first season of Mad Men is $31.95 on Blu-ray while the dvd is $31.99. I saw the first episode last week and it seems to be a very good show, so I will probably pick it up. I thought it was pretty cool that the Blu-ray is cheaper than the dvd. The only other Blu-rays that I noticed were cheaper than the same dvd was Weeds seasons 1 through 3. Imagine if we saw the same trend at the big sellers of dvd's like Walmart and Best Buy. Say when Iron Man comes out in a couple of months, the Blu-ray and dvd were priced the same, rather then the dvd being about $17 and the blu-ray being about $35 to $40. Or better yet, the dvd is $17 while the Blu-ray is only $15. I bet that Blu-ray would become the dominant format over dvd very quickly if that were the case. But, this is only a fluke so I guess I can stop dreaming. Now we can get back to the highly over priced Blu-ray discs, unless of course you hunt around online.

- Nick
Posted By: jakewash Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 06:16 PM
My guess is demand for those series on DVD is low and even lower for BR. It could also be the BR has one or more fewer discs in it to make it cheaper.

I know for me if BR becomes cheaper than DVD I will be getting into it sooner than later.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 07:54 PM
All Blu-Ray discs in brick & mortor stores are crazy expensive. $35 for most. Only serious HD watchers will pay the premium, and they will do like you are doing, and go online.

I have been so tempted to get a PS3 for Blu-Ray, but at the cost for the movies, I'd have to sign back up for NetFlix and rent them.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 08:02 PM
amazon.com prices on blu-ray are quite good...and of course as you mentioned Netflix will send you the blu-ray disc for the same price as the dvd.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 08:06 PM
Yeah, Amazon often runs good deals. I think I got "3:10 to Yuma" for seventeen bucks at JR music. Sometimes you hafta search a bit.

I wouldn't spend thirty bucks on one, though.
Posted By: Bayne Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 08:32 PM
Amazon's great, especially for those of us in Canada. They often run a good $10 cheaper there then in our local stores--Best Buy and Futureshop. I tend to wait until I have 3 or 4 titles I want, then order them from Amazon.com. That more than offsets the shipping cost, and I don't end up with any French text on the cover.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/29/08 10:56 PM
I order so much from amazon.com that I signed up for "Prime", and get free shipping on almost everything. Add to that the 8.25% sales tax I save, AND the usual 20-30% discount they already offer, it's a no brainer!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 01:10 AM
It seems as though I'm ordering from Amazon twice a week now, but I'm never in much of a rush for anything so I just select regular, free, slow shipping. Everything always seems to arrive in 3-4 days either way.

I've been really tempted to try the "Prime" though!
Posted By: anthony11 Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 01:20 AM
Seems like I see a lot of items that say they aren't eligible for Prime.
Posted By: duckman Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 01:54 AM
They passed some bogus state law and amazon started charging sales tax in ks. Presumably since they have a facility in-state. I still get the vast majority of my cd's from amazon, but try to spread the love a little with dvd's.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 05:03 AM
I have Amazon prime also and really like the free 2-day, no tax and better prices than retail. Occasionally when I really need something it costs around $3.99 to upgrade to next day shipping.

For the most part Prime is when you buy directly from Amazon, but there are many other retailers that use fulfillment by Amazon that offer Prime.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 05:08 AM
I remember I signed up for a trial membership to Prime. The shipping was nice, but I don't really remember better prices.
Posted By: DaveG Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 11:40 AM
The prices are the same, Prime provides faster shipping.
Posted By: Murph Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 07/30/08 01:46 PM
I always compare Amazon.ca with Amazon.com when I am looking for something. As mentioned above, sometimes, after everything is considered, it makes more sense to by from the .com instead of the Canadian site.

Also, I have never had a call or notice about an Amazon package in customs. Seems an Amazon label would be an excellent way to smuggle things cross border without the usual hassle.
Posted By: myrison Re: blu ray cheaper than dvd - 08/02/08 04:03 AM
Amazon prime is a really useful service IMHO. "Free" 2-day shipping on everything (after you pay the annual fee). However, I'm like Mark, I'm ordering at least 1x / week, and know that by the end of the year I've more than made up my money on the fees. It's a brilliant deal for Amazon too because I always find myself saying "I better look at Amazon first b/c I get free 2-day shipping there." \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards