Axiom Home Page
Posted By: audiodreamer Onkyo 606/poor signal - 12/05/08 03:51 AM
Made the upgrade, from the sony htib, and for the price am in no way disappointed. If money was not an issue I would have opted for one with feature of attenuating commercials, since they feel like they have to be louder than normal broadcast.
I also learned that I will need to purchase a powered sub,surely to be a benefit.
?????? After making all connections, and performing setup procedures, I seem to be having tiling issues with at least one broadcast channels if not more.
Without seeing would one think that it would most likely be a bad HDMI cable, a cable box going bad, signal issues,or by some unfortunate reason a faulty receiver.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Onkyo 606/poor signal - 12/05/08 03:58 AM
By tiling issues, do you mean artifacts, blocking etc.? Are you upscaling through the Onkyo? If this is something that happens regardless of the source, TV box or DVD, then I would suspect either the HDMI cable, it's connection or the Onkyo, If it is just when watching TV then I would look at the Cable from the box, the tuner box itself or it is just poor signal quality (most likely).
Posted By: audiodreamer Re: Onkyo 606/poor signal - 12/05/08 04:14 AM
I am upscaling or at least that is my intentions, if I have everything set up right. I have had these issues before with HDMI from DVR box to tv. Thinking that I was having issues with my DVR. It seems to be more pronounced going through the receiver.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Onkyo 606/poor signal - 12/05/08 04:18 AM
It is most likely more pronounced due to the upscaling and a bad signal. The VP in the Onkyo doesn't know what to do with the bad signal so it turns it into or it stays as blocks; also because of the upscaling the blocks end up being made into larger blocks which are obviously easier to notice. Try running the Onkyo in pass through mode - no upscaling and see if the artifacts are as bad but you will have to look much closer as the picture size will be smaller.
© Axiom Message Boards