Axiom Home Page
Posted By: izub Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 06:33 PM
Ok... got fios installed. I am running an optical to my amp and a handful of sd channels are incredibly loud and distorted. I've tried using several optical/coax cables , different configs, no change...I called Verizon they said they send unfiltered signals and I need either a preamp or some filter...(using rca jacks the sound is normal...all other hundred plus channels heve excellent sd or 5.1 sound)...Is there some cheap filter that takes a optical/coax in and sends the signal out via optical /coax? If not what's my fix? Thanks a lot
Posted By: JonHan Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 06:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: izub
Ok... got fios installed. I am running an optical to my amp and a handful of sd channels are incredibly loud and distorted. I've tried using several optical/coax cables , different configs, no change...I called Verizon they said they send unfiltered signals and I need either a preamp or some filter...(using rca jacks the sound is normal...all other hundred plus channels heve excellent sd or 5.1 sound)...Is there some cheap filter that takes a optical/coax in and sends the signal out via optical /coax? If not what's my fix? Thanks a lot

Optical to amp?
Do you mean optical to receiver?
Posted By: Hansang Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 07:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: izub

FIOS doesn't know what they are talking about. The problem is with mixing by the studios/stations. The only way an receiver can help is by buying something like Denon's (really Audyssey's) dynamic volume that can clamp it down.

Google for "loud commercials" and you'll get a lot of hits.
Posted By: izub Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 07:10 PM
Yes I meant to receiver...I'll look for that Thanks
Posted By: JonHan Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 07:22 PM
I also have FIOS and find that the dolby 5.1 HD channels volume
is much lower than the SD non digital channels. When I switch
to SD from HD it knocks you out of the chair. The STB box I
have from them has an audio compression menu item. This can be
none, light or heavy. The heavy setting helps, but can flatten
out some content.
Posted By: izub Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 07:58 PM
Techs at Fios told me repeatedly that HD sound due to bandwidth or something will always be lower...My problem on 5 sd channels is the sound is BOOMING and DISTORTED enough so that oit sounds like my 60's will explode! I of course never watch the locals in sd but last night the wife switched to 4 instead of 504 and ...oh my god!...I wonder if a tv regulator would work, but that has rca connections, don't see how I'd get 5.1...
Posted By: Hansang Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/05/08 10:11 PM
all the time? It's loud all the time for those channels? Or just during commercials? If you call the station and ask to speak to the sound engineer, sometimes you can make some headway.
Posted By: izub Re: Need Help with audio issue - 12/06/08 12:25 AM
Yes all the time...just those 5 channels in sd...tried some radio shack junk did nothing...I have had 2 6416 boxes and 1 7216...all other channels are great..this is weird
© Axiom Message Boards