Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Funk Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 05:17 PM
Alrighty...heres a picture of the rear area...it is open on the left side to a room - it is wired to go either behind the couche on the wall underneath the bulkhead or on the ceiling about a foot or so behind the couche on the far side of the potlights...thoughts? I'm leaning towards under the bulkhead, but would that create issues for sound? I can of course plant them on the face of the bulkhead too.......of course the wife doesn't want hanging speakers, but not out of the question...definitly not the perfect room...

Heres the screen...

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 05:30 PM
For 5.1, you would normally want the "SIDE" surrounds to the side and slightly behind the listening position, at least 2-3ft above your ears. For 7.1, then you would add the "REAR" channels to below the bulkhead behind you.
Posted By: Funk Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 05:40 PM
Agreed, but with my room this isn't possible - thus my purchase of the QS8's - they are more forgiving and 'enveloping'.
Posted By: alan Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 05:41 PM
Hi Funk,

To add to Sir Quack's suggestions, the height of the QS8s is not critical. Just don't put them closer than about 4 or 5 inches from the ceiling because of the top-firing driver. You can experiment with height using a couple of stepladders to temporarily position the QS8s, but the QS8's multi-directional dispersion qualities makes them very forgiving even of asymmetrical placement.

Just keep them out of corners to avoid potential adjacent boundary sound coloration.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 05:46 PM
So Funk are you planning on 5.1 then? I would test with ladders like Alan mentioned before you hang them.... If you go with just 2 Qs8's and you mount them to the side, the rear tweeter would bounce off the back wall giving you a 7.1 simulation...
Posted By: Funk Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 06:10 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Sorry sirquack, you are correct, I was only planning a 5.1, but don't have the option of really placing them on the sides - the room is open to the left so I could hang them from the ceiling facing them inwards....I've heard the idea of placing another QS8 in the middle, making a 6.1 channel - but I'll do the test tonite with a couple of ladders and see how that goes! I'll be sure to keep them out of that corner too...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 06:47 PM
you may find spreading them out, below the drop down will work as well. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 07:52 PM
I like the idea of below the drop as wide as possible.
Posted By: korkster Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/18/08 08:19 PM
Funk,
I have a similar issue with my QS-8's as they are located in our Great Room that is open to our kitchen area on the one side of the room. I ended up placing the speakers on the Axiom stands, putting the one stand against the wall, just to the rear of the seating area,on the side of the room where there is a wall. I then move the QS-8 on the open side of the room into position exactly opposite the other one when we are watching a movie. I move it back out of the way when not in use. I installed a speaker outlet in the wall behind where it sits when not in use and I made sure I had enough extra speaker wire when hooking up that speaker that allows me to move it back and forth. I also installed two direct radiating speakers (NHT Superones's that I previously owned)in the back of the room giving me 7.1 surround. Is it the ideal situation, no, but it works giving me a uniform surround soundfield when watching movies, and it keeps the QS-8 out of the way when not in use. Just takes a little effort.

Just a thought for what it's worth.
Posted By: Funk Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/19/08 05:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: korkster
Funk,
I have a similar issue with my QS-8's as they are located in our Great Room that is open to our kitchen area on the one side of the room. I ended up placing the speakers on the Axiom stands, putting the one stand against the wall, just to the rear of the seating area,on the side of the room where there is a wall. I then move the QS-8 on the open side of the room into position exactly opposite the other one when we are watching a movie. I move it back out of the way when not in use. I installed a speaker outlet in the wall behind where it sits when not in use and I made sure I had enough extra speaker wire when hooking up that speaker that allows me to move it back and forth. I also installed two direct radiating speakers (NHT Superones's that I previously owned)in the back of the room giving me 7.1 surround. Is it the ideal situation, no, but it works giving me a uniform surround soundfield when watching movies, and it keeps the QS-8 out of the way when not in use. Just takes a little effort.

Just a thought for what it's worth.

How far from the corner was your speaker korkster...those stands may be a great. I will be needing some wall treatments - traps etc.....will work on that soon too.

For now, I will experiment a little more and see how it goes.
Posted By: Funk Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/23/08 02:20 AM
After some experiments I placed them as wide as I could on that wall - they sound great; oh, and I did not place them real high either - about 2.5ft above ear level....I may now consider the T series for the fronts, but we'll see what happens....BTW, Blueray on a projector rocks!!

Posted By: grunt Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/23/08 02:51 AM
Looking good Sheldon! I’m glad to see you experimented and found the spot that’s right for you. Nice looking couch I will need to get something like that soon I hope. All my equipment and my futon are black but I can’t wait to get a house so I can use a real couch without having to drag it up 2 flights of stairs.

Cheers,
Dean
Posted By: jakewash Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/23/08 10:40 AM
Looking good Sheldon, glad to hear they sound good as well!
Posted By: myrison Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/23/08 03:05 PM
Nice work Sheldon, very nice looking. I second the notion re: BR on projector. Expanding to a huge screen really shows the difference between SD and HD content.
Posted By: korkster Re: Placing QS8's..... - 12/24/08 02:46 AM
Hey Funk,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Things have been a bit hectic. Looks like you've come up with a solution though. My side surrounds, when in position, are about ten feet from the rear wall, on either side of the couch which sits just forward of the half way point in the room. The room is about 25' long. I will be moving the whole set-up to a basement theater with a front projector and screen as you have at some point, hopefully in the not too distant future. I'm jealous.
Posted By: Funk Re: Placing QS8's..... - 03/08/09 07:25 AM
Hey guys, been enjoying these AXIOMs in a big way! My daughter spins around and looks behind her if a scene has a bump or creak....I love it....I recently added some Niles Stagefront In-walls to the mix....they actually blend well with my QS8s....I am though hunting for an Axiom Subwoofer - if anyone is selling in Alberta, let me know...with that monster 800 out I'm sure it's gonna free up some old units!! I expanded the screen to 115inches across, and I'm doing an accoustic screen (its a DIY and the material is on the way)....below is still a painted screen and the speakers will be directly behind - Ive also decided on an anamorphic lens so I moved the projector down and back......too much fun, watching ALOT of movies this cold winter....

Posted By: jakewash Re: Placing QS8's..... - 03/09/09 06:14 AM
Things are looking very nice!
Posted By: grunt Re: Placing QS8's..... - 03/09/09 09:27 AM
I’m glad they worked out for you where you put them. The first couple movies I watched with my 5.1 system freaked me out. During the battle at the beginning of “Master and Commander” when they are running around up on the deck I thought someone was running on the roof of the apartment. I actually got up and looked out the window. During a scene in “Appleseed” when a single shot rings out from the right ducked for cover.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Placing QS8's..... - 03/09/09 05:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I’m glad they worked out for you where you put them. The first couple movies I watched with my 5.1 system freaked me out. During the battle at the beginning of “Master and Commander” when they are running around up on the deck I thought someone was running on the roof of the apartment. I actually got up and looked out the window. During a scene in “Appleseed” when a single shot rings out from the right ducked for cover.

There's a level in Little Big Planet where it sounds like something knocking on wood. It first started coming from my right front speaker, which is like 2 feet away from the front door of my place. Kept sounding like someone was knocking at the door. I even got up the first time, as I hadn't heard that effect before haha.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Placing QS8's..... - 03/10/09 01:23 AM
That's all right Dean; just so you didn't grab a weapon and return fire.
© Axiom Message Boards