Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BoB/335 Height of TV - 01/11/09 01:08 AM
I know that this is surely a matter of opinion and that everyone probably has a different size screen.
I have a 52" LCD viewing at about 11-13'. What is the best height to the bottom of the screen? (TV frame is 31" high)
Posted By: CV Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 01:33 AM
Whatever's comfortable for you. This could vary depending on how high your seating is, too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 01:37 AM
Google
Posted By: myrison Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 05:07 AM
Generally, you want your eyes 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the screen when seated. However, everyone is different, as you already stated. \:\)
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 05:22 AM
Bottom of the TV frame is currently 23" to the bottom. It's on a livingroom end table presently and using the supplied stand. It seems pretty comfortable and can still go a little higher I think.
I've been in homes where the TV seems pretty high for me (and uncomfortable) I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb on this.

Meanwhile I've been searching for a corner stand that will hold a 52" LCD. Not much selection. Some all glass units. Placing a center speaker in the future could be a challenge.
Posted By: myrison Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 03:23 PM
Bob, when you say 23" to the bottom, do you mean 23" to the floor or are you measuring from your eye level to the bottom of the screen?

If 23" from the floor, keep in mind that if you put the center under the screen that low if you have any more than one row of seats the people in back are going to hear very muddled dialogue. If that's the case, you might want to think of ways to mount the center above rather than below the screen. This was exactly my situation which is why I have mine wall mounted above the screen.

Jason
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 03:41 PM
23" from the floor to the bottom of the screen. Unfortunatly this is NOT a Home Theatre Room. Just a livingroom.One sofa and one loveseat Oh and a chair with an otterman.
Posted By: Klugger Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 07:11 PM
I have mine 43" form floor to the bottom of the screen and tilted 3" off the wall at the top.Our reclining sofa sits kinda high but reclines pretty far down.For me it's a comfortable hight for watching movies reclined.

Darcy
Posted By: jakewash Re: Height of TV - 01/11/09 07:27 PM
What ever works in the room and feels comfortable, that is the best position, no matter what any one says. If you are not comfortable looking at the screen you won't be enjoying it as much. Try a makeshift stand out of blocks and wood and see which height YOU prefer, then look for a stand as close as possiblt to that height or make one yourself if you are so inclined.
Posted By: myrison Re: Height of TV - 01/12/09 01:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
or make one yourself if you are so inclined

I believe you meant, if you are so reclined...

Jason
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:16 AM
Bought a new TV stand from Costco last weekend. TV is 52" from the floor to the center of a 52" lcd. Looks pretty good at this height. There is a slight pitch forward on this stand. It is a pole mounted on the back of a 3 tier glss shelf stand. The TV support swivels a bit left and right. Big hit with the wife. (Yeah I bought this without her but I could have taken it back. We had looked at some on the internet so I already knew she liked this style)
Posted By: fredk Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:29 AM
Nice! As you will see in a pic I posted in another thread, I still need to work on a stand. The coffee table works for now.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:39 AM
I saw!
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:40 AM
Just kidding. Mine was on an end table until I got the stand. I will try to post some pics if my kids will show me how.
Posted By: fredk Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:45 AM
 Quote:
I will try to post some pics if my kids will show me how.

\:D
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 04:48 AM
ha! You think that's funny?
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 11:57 AM
Hey when did I become a devotee?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:00 PM
When you ordered without hearing the speakers first!

Mmmmwwwwaaaa-Haaaaa-Haaaaaa!

Actually, from the FAQs:

0 newbie
5 regular
10 frequent flier
20 hobbyist
30 enthusiast
40 buff
60 old hand
100 veteran
200 local
300 devotee
500 aficionado
1000 connoisseur
5000 axiomite
10000 shareholder in the making
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:01 PM
Three hundred posts.... 299 of them: "I wonder if I'm doing the right thing here?"
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:29 PM
Yeah, I guess I haven't added much to the discussions. I think I've done better on some of the other forums.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:31 PM
Of course you have, Bob... don't miss the smiley face after my last post!
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Three hundred posts.... 299 of them: "I wonder if I'm doing the right thing here?"

STILL no speakers here. Maybe if I had my speakers I would be able to contribute more. I'll certainly have less posts as I sit and listen to them instead of wasting my time here.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 12:34 PM
Of course you have, Bob... don't miss the smiley face after my last post!

Funny how things come across on the internet. YES I did see the smiley face. I guess I should have included one myself.
\:\) \:\( \:D \:o \:\/ ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 01:00 PM
That's OK, MySpace!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 01:23 PM
Hey! Take it easy on Bob the n00b, Hey!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 01:29 PM
Oh, you just keep humpn' the carpet, will 'ya?
Posted By: fredk Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 05:19 PM

Teach him to noodle like a pro. That will make him really useful.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Height of TV - 01/26/09 05:49 PM
I suppose all this mostly depends on what's comfortable for your own viewing angle. There's some obvious things to avoid like getting too far off axis on some rear projector models. (like say trying to mount a big DLP much higher or notice than your eyes)

This is something I've noticed more recently on my DLP as we end up with more games where people stand up (like Guitar Hero, Rock Band or the Wii balance board stuff.) Everything looks great when you're sitting or far enough back, but if you're too close and standing up you start to lose your picture quality at that angle.

I think when I redo whatever my next space is, I'll either figure out how to make an adjustable stand so we can bump it up temporarily when those games are in use or hook up those games in another room where I can mount a screen higher.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Height of TV - 01/27/09 10:57 AM
This is in response to a post on another thread but I am posting it here.

My stand is this STYLE.
http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9102

Mine is NOT a Z-line

I got mine at Costco for $199. Costco doesn't have it on their website. It was local. I happened to call the store to find out how to find it online and they told me that the buyers for local stores bring in different items from area to area and still different than their website.

Mine is NOT the one I linked above. My glass shelves are ovals and I have would as the supports legs. (Don't like the color of the wood and might sand them down and re-stain) My TV measures 52" from the floor to the middle of a 52" sceen. Just measured to the bottom of the TV. 35 1/2". My frame swivels from side to side and the mounting pole leans slightly forward (fixed) so the tv is vsry slightly leaning forward. I thought it might be crooked but it seems deliberate because it gives a better viewing at that slight angle. It happens to be a very enjoyable height for me and the rest here. I had mine on a 23" end table for a few weeks before I got the stand and thought this might be too high.
© Axiom Message Boards