Axiom Home Page
Posted By: spiffnme My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 03:41 AM
I came home to this tonight. Any ideas???

This literally seemed to happen over night.

Sorry about the flash...but I think you can see the issue pretty clearly.

Ugg...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 04:06 AM
Looks like a plasma leak in the reactor cor... ok. Probably not.

This post looks like it might talk about what you're seeing here.
Posted By: fredk Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 07:55 AM
It looks like its time to call Sony. You might do a search over on AVS for your make and model to see what issues have shown up.

for instance, I know for my Sony A2020 there was a problem with the early chips and purple blotching on screen.

If you already know what the issue is and know of others that have had a similar issue, it might make dealing with Sony more expedient.
Posted By: RickF Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 12:16 PM
We had a black line issue with our old Sony plasma, nothing to do but replace it and for once we were glad to have paid for extended warranty. If I remember correctly, didn't Dennis (Tharkun) have an issue with purple splotching on his plasma and had to have it replaced?

BTW Spiff, our TV is all black so the silver CC Omni-Mount stuck out like a sore thumb ... I got some flat spray paint to match the black TV frame and painted the Omni-Mount, looks almost invisible and it isn't distracting whenever the lights are turned low for TV viewing.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 07:56 PM
OK..oddly the tv looked like this all day yesterday. Then last night I took this photo and turned the tv off. A couple hours later we wanted to watch "Worst Week" (spots be damned), and low and behold...they were gone. Very odd.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 08:00 PM
So...."Out Damned Spots" really worked?
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 08:46 PM
That's why you should always use "Shout" for the toughest stains! \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: My TV has spots! - 02/05/09 08:51 PM
 Originally Posted By: spiffnme
OK..oddly the tv looked like this all day yesterday. Then last night I took this photo and turned the tv off. A couple hours later we wanted to watch "Worst Week" (spots be damned), and low and behold...they were gone. Very odd.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Have you had any humidity problems, condensation?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: My TV has spots! - 02/06/09 04:42 PM
Nope. Very odd behavior.
Posted By: Nick B Re: My TV has spots! - 02/06/09 10:46 PM
I think that this issue is why Sony got out of the rear projection tv's. There was a big class action lawsuit about this purple or green blob problem, if I recall correctly. Does anyone know if the SXRD Sony front projectors have had this same problem as well? These front projectors are supposed to have a nice picture at a nice price. But, if there is a small chance of running into the green or purple blob problem, then I would steer clear of those as well.

- Nick
© Axiom Message Boards