Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jovon L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:26 AM
How can I set up my speakers to get the best overall sound in this space? (Picture in link at the bottom)

There are not 2 tvs in this room, I just have not decided in which space it will go.

The speakers I have are:
Center - axiom vp100 v2
Fronts - axiom M22 v2
Surrounds - axiom Qs8
subwoofer - will be either axiom ep175 or ep350 in the future.

Also thinking of going with an emotiva upa-7 or xpa-5 amp. any thoughts in amp purchase would be much appreciated.

Living Room Sketch
Posted By: onn Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:42 AM
Is there a reason why you can't have the tv set-up on the 16-1/2' wall with you back to the fireplace? You could have two spaces, one for the HT and another to sit around the fireplace. Just my one cent worth suggestion \:\)
Mel N.
I think the best use might be to have the TV on the 9ft section and one M22 on either side of it and then a QS above each sofa.

I would go with the EP350 and the XPA-5.
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:45 AM
The furniture will be to big for the space (Pic drawn to scale). Also other half doesn't like that arrangement
Posted By: onn Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:50 AM
Is the doorway by the recliner with or without a door and what is the length of the wall with the fireplace on it?
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:52 AM
no door just entry way and wall is about 8ft
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:53 AM
the fireplace mantle sits about 5ft
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:56 AM
jakewash thanks for the reply
Is that a flat screen TV, any chance of mounting it above the fireplace? I know this is generally frowned upon but sometimes it just works better for everything else.
Posted By: onn Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 12:58 AM
So if I understand correctly, you only have 2 options for tv placement because the furniture stays where it is.
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 01:02 AM
yes tv is flat panel samsung 750 series 52". I think tv over fireplace would work but other half vetoed the idea. mantle starts at about 5ft from the floor so tv would be close to the ceiling
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 01:04 AM
as for furniture layout pretty much unless you got a better idea.

sofa - 113"
loveseat - 92"
recliner - 46"
Always compromises, my TV is old CRT above my fireplace about 5' off the ground and it works fine for me.

Where does your wife want the speakers to go(OK you don't really have to answer that)? Where do you think they should go.

I am not seeing much else for possibilities other than my initial suggestion, barring the TV move over the fireplace or similar furniture swap to different layout.
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 01:22 PM
lol, I might have to try it out anyway and see how it look/feels to watch. She doesn't like the idea because the tv would sit so high up as apposed to the sitting position (neck cramp from viewing). uploaded pic of part of the living show you the space I am working with. Ignore furniture its all old and being replaced with much larger set

Posted By: onn Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 02:19 PM
I hate to say this but I think there has to be some compromise from the better half. Your options are getting limited to nothing. There needs to be a discussion between you and your better half in regards to the pros and cons of each location. The option with the least cons wins. Just my opinion ( being single helps me make these decisions unless I tell myself otherwise :))
Mel N.
Posted By: Adrian Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 02:27 PM
I would look at mounting the TV on the 9ft section to the left of the fireplace, but not flushmount. If you angled it using either one of those articulated arms(wall mount) or angle it on a stand, it would give you a better seating/HT angle for viewing/listening. Those stoves throw off LOTS of heat so be carefull how close you mount to it, I would NOT consider mounting above the fireplace under any circumstance, myself.
Posted By: Adrian Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 02:32 PM
Just checked your sketch again. You might also consider putting the Sammy in the corner(on an angle again) where the 16 1/2 ft wall meets the 10 ft wall. You'll have to shift some furniture around, but it might give you some possibilities there. I think a flushmount would be difficult in this room, so you might have to look at some kind of corner type setup.
Posted By: Jovon Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 02/22/09 02:44 PM
Yeah thats what me and the other half figured. We were going to angle the tv a bit on the tv stand along the 9ft wall to give people better viewing (man I cant wait to knock down some walls).
Posted By: shag Re: L-Shaped Room Speaker Placement?????????? - 03/03/09 03:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Jovon
I think tv over fireplace would work but other half vetoed the idea.

I think it's time to filibuster!!!
© Axiom Message Boards