Axiom Home Page
At the moment I am running a 7.1 with M60's, VP150, OS4's, and M22's at the rear. I have a set of M3v2 just sitting in my closet and I was thinking....
My room is not very big and when I watch a movie I am in the "Sweet Spot" 99% of the time. The fact that I am in the same location in the room while watching a movie the OS4's are not really needed. I understand the advantage of using the QS's in a room where you are not in the "Sweet Spot" when watching a movie, but for me a direct radiating speaker on either side seems to make since. So what do I do put the M3's on the side or the M22's?
You could try it I guess, but the purpose of the surrounds, side and rears, is the surround you in the experience, not direct the effects right at you. If you go to a movie theater, the speakers are lined along the entire side walls and rear walls. Axiom's design simulates multiple speakers lined on the walls, per the recording engineers intent.
Would you put the M3's on the side or the M22's?
Do you mean you're going to either substitute the M3v2s for the QS4s at the side, leaving the QS4s unused, or else move the M22s
now at the rear to the side and either move the QS4s to the rear or put the M3v2s at the rear? And which of those would sound better? I hope you'll try it and then get back to us. I have no idea which would sound better. Direct radiating speakers as side surrounds are sometimes recommended for large rooms, which is not what you have, so I'd side with sirquack and guess that your current arrangement sounds better than the two alternatives you're considering.
My personal preference would be to keep the QS4 as the side surrounds. Choosing between the M22 and M3 I would probably choose the M22 solely based on the fact it is more speaker.
 Originally Posted By: GregLee
Do you mean you're going to either substitute the M3v2s for the QS4s at the side, leaving the QS4s unused, or else move the M22s
now at the rear to the side and either move the QS4s to the rear or put the M3v2s at the rear? And which of those would sound better? I hope you'll try it and then get back to us. I have no idea which would sound better. Direct radiating speakers as side surrounds are sometimes recommended for large rooms, which is not what you have, so I'd side with sirquack and guess that your current arrangement sounds better than the two alternatives you're considering.

I am taking the OS4's out of the equation so I can either keep the M22's at the rear or move them to the side and put the M3's at the rear. I think the M22's would probably do better on the sides.
M22s on the sides, they have a better timbre match to the M60s.

Have you tried the QS4 as rear surrounds with directs on the sides? Just curious as to what that would offer if anything.
© Axiom Message Boards