Axiom Home Page
Posted By: deathjester oppo blu ray - 03/15/09 05:04 PM
im thinking of replaceing my samsung player with a better unit. I was looking at the onkyo and denons but then came across the oppo. Does anyone know when this is coming and what the price will be.
Posted By: doormat Re: oppo blu ray - 03/16/09 12:30 AM
It is in it's second wave of "early adopters", many of whom are saying that with a few minor firmware tweaks it should be ready for general release. I think they are looking at ballpark $499 or $599.
Posted By: Hansang Re: oppo blu ray - 03/17/09 10:38 PM
Considering the pedigree, I would buy an Oppo if a) I didn't already have a Samsung 1400 player, and b) if I didn't have my PS3. But given that I have both, I can't justify the Oppo just yet. I have to wait until I move the 1400 to the bedroom! \:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 02:40 PM
From the comments of the intital adopter phase, this player is a real winner and offers the best value among all blu-ray players. I am still more than happy with the Panasonic BD55. It is also an excellent player. It just does not do SACD and dvd-audio which the OPPO will support.

Posted By: RickF Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 03:08 PM
If I was in need of a Blu-Ray player the Oppo would certainly be the top choice. We really like our 980H, too bad it took so long for them to produce a Blu-Ray player but I guess the wait will be worth it.

Speaking of Blu-Ray, don't know about the masses but I'm just not finding myself buying as many BR disc as I had initially thought. Don't know if it's the lack of decent selections most stores have or the price.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 03:19 PM
Rick,

Blu-Ray discs are just WAY too much money, I agree. I usually wait for those emails from Amazon that tell me about the 2 for 1s, or the 3 for 2 deals. I then buy a couple from the list (if there are any decent ones that I want).

Other than that, I have never bought a Blu-Ray disc from anywhere from Amazon.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 03:21 PM
Depends on the store for selection. I do hope the prices come down a bit for new releases. You can find some deals with older releases.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 03:56 PM
I bought 5 or 6 when I first got the player, but they're just too expensive to justify the incremental increase in quality (in my case, anyway).

I'm used to paying $8-$12 for most DVDs, as there's nothing I need right away or that I can't wait to be on sale.

When I see $35 for some of these discs, I want to laugh. Until I realize that the format's demise might be resting on the disc pricing....
Posted By: Ajax Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 09:09 PM
I don't buy many DVDs, Blu-ray or otherwise. I am, however, a prolific Blu-ray renter. I have a subcription with Blockbuster and rent, probably, 5 to 9 discs a month. Virtually all are Blu-rays.

I do, however, buy some discs that I just have to have. Just bought the 70th anniversary edition of Disney's Pinocchio for the outrageous price of $27.47 shipped. Haven't watched in yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 09:30 PM
I don't buy many Blu-rays either. So far I only have 45 titles, three of which are TV seasons.

It is my Netflix subscription which gets the workout. You say, 5 to 9 a month, I watch 5 to 9 a week. With my record being 15 discs returned in a 5 day period.
Posted By: Hansang Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 10:16 PM
wow....15 disc in a week! I also do not buy many discs, but I do maybe 8-12 Neflix discs depending on how busy I am. But some discs I do buy. For example

1) Princess Bride (just released yesterday on BD!!!)
2) Transformers (on HD)
3) Matrix (on HD)
4) Star Trek (Original) on HD and BD.

And I'll probably buy Tropic Thunder. That movie just cracked me up!
Posted By: Zimm Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 10:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I don't buy many Blu-rays either. So far I only have 45 titles, three of which are TV seasons.

It is my Netflix subscription which gets the workout. You say, 5 to 9 a month, I watch 5 to 9 a week. With my record being 15 discs returned in a 5 day period.

Did you mean 4 or 5, or is 45 the "not many" you mention?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 10:55 PM
Actually it's 46, just received Akira today. \:D
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 11:14 PM
46 is a big collection compared to my 7.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 11:15 PM
Oh yeah? 7 is huge compared to my 0.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: oppo blu ray - 03/18/09 11:32 PM
But yeah, I can't wait for the Oppo, all this watching has to be taking its toll on my PS3, which is a 60gig model that I want to preserve because I have a "small" collection of PS2 games which I want to continue to be able to play.

Although there are some rumors of a reduced price Oppo Blu-ray player which will be basically the same as the 83, but without the analog audio board. That would be idea for me, because I have no plans to ever hook that part of the player up.
Posted By: CV Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 03:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Although there are some rumors of a reduced price Oppo Blu-ray player which will be basically the same as the 83, but without the analog audio board. That would be idea for me, because I have no plans to ever hook that part of the player up.

That would be nice. I also don't need the analog outputs. Of course, whether or not I'm patient enough to wait for the cheaper version is another question. Like you, I also have one of the launch 60 gig models of the PS3, but I'm not really concerned about preserving it after getting the Oppo. I don't have any PS2 games, and I'll be listening to SACDs on the Oppo.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 03:03 PM
 Quote:
Just bought the 70th anniversary edition of Disney's Pinocchio for the outrageous price of $27.47 shipped. Haven't watched in yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jack, I would love to here what you think of Pinocchio, I bought the remastered version of Sleeping Beauty and thought they did a fabulous job. I pre-ordered Bolt since I read it was a pretty good family flick.
Posted By: JonHan Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 03:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
 Quote:
Just bought the 70th anniversary edition of Disney's Pinocchio for the outrageous price of $27.47 shipped. Haven't watched in yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jack, I would love to here what you think of Pinocchio, I bought the remastered version of Sleeping Beauty and thought they did a fabulous job. I pre-ordered Bolt since I read it was a pretty good family flick.

Watched Pinocchio last night with my granddaughter and I thought the PQ was fantastic. The picture was very sharp and the colors really popped off the screen.I think the DTS-HD audio was as good as your going to get it, based on the original track. It even kept the attention of an active 6 month old and that is not easy to do.
Posted By: Ajax Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 03:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
 Quote:

Will be happy to let you know when I watch it.

Originally Posted By: JonHan
Watched Pinocchio last night with my granddaughter and I thought the PQ was fantastic. The picture was very sharp and the colors really popped off the screen.I think the DTS-HD audio was as good as your going to get it, based on the original track. It even kept the attention of an active 6 month old and that is not easy to do.

That's about what I'm expecting - stellar vid; best possible 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (48 kHz/24-bit) surround from an old mono soundtrack.

Delighted to hear it hypnotized your 6 month old.

Recently, The Wizard of Oz was shown on TV. My nephew reported that his 2 year old walked into the room and froze, standing up, and didn't move a muscle for the entire movie, except to dance around to "We're Off To See The Wizard." It's comforting to know that some sort of continuum exists between many generations; that things that delighted us as children can still delight children today.

Posted By: HomeDad Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 03:50 PM
I still have bad dreams about the flying monkeys.
Posted By: Zimm Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 05:19 PM
Second that. I forbid the showing that film to the my kids after the first time. Those monkey's freak me out. And the witch is creepy...not to mention that odd behavior of that lion.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: oppo blu ray - 03/19/09 07:36 PM
JP should be able to help you out
Posted By: JerryCalif Re: oppo blu - 03/19/09 08:13 PM
I'd be hesitant to play SACD's on the oppo blu. I have played a SACD before on my oppo dvd player and the sound quality was lack luster at best compared to the sacd player that I normally use.
Posted By: jakewash Re: oppo blu - 03/19/09 08:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: JerryCalif
..... sacd player that I normally use.
Which is???

And welcome to the forum.
Posted By: JerryCalif Re: oppo blu - 03/19/09 08:22 PM
Sony with mods by Tube Research Labs in Seattle.
Posted By: jakewash Re: oppo blu - 03/19/09 10:10 PM
So you're comparing a modded player to an unmodded, interesting. Judging by the name of the modders, I would guess they introduced some tube effects and warmed everything up?
Posted By: michael_d Re: oppo blu - 03/20/09 01:34 AM
I found the same to be true with the 970 verses PS3 (first gen 20 gig). However, I have heard a lot of praise over the 980 with SACD.
Posted By: CV Re: oppo blu - 03/20/09 04:40 AM
If the signal is being sent as DSD, I don't see how it could be messed up.
© Axiom Message Boards