Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/07/09 02:53 AM
Reading Dave's post about his new speakers, I realize that at 10 months and counting the new speaker thrill has worn off. However...

Two nights ago I watched Blazing Saddles: not surround, really bad soundtrack. Last night it was the new (ish) Bond flick. But damn I love my system for movies with good sound!!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/07/09 06:08 AM
OK friends.

When I feel the need for audio stimulation, I just pop in Indiana Jones Temple of the Crystal Skull and listen to the THX intro of metal mushrooms, and celestial horns, blowing through the frequencies from 10 Hz to a level that makes the neighborhood dogs go crazy, chase their tails and howl. Then there are the crystal leaves which excite our titanium tweeters to generate celestial audio sparkles. The whole thing comes together in a manic, overwhelming harmony of sweet sounding audio violence.

Then I go back to work.
Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/07/09 08:02 AM
I've had mine well over a year, but still definitely get a thrill with a great sounding film (and during a time of day when i can crank it safely.)

I've gone from buying every mildly interesting Blu-Ray disc and feeding the beasts to now considering a d-box system to graduate to one additional level of madness.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/07/09 01:14 PM
That may be the only redeeming quality of that disc. ;\)
Posted By: 80'sMan Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/08/09 03:17 PM
When I watched a new movie, I used to hope it had a decent story and good cinematography. Now I get all excited waiting to hear the audio!
And when the thrill seems to slip, all it takes to bring it back, is watching a flick at anyone else's house. I just wanna go home. I miss my Axioms, LOL!!!
Posted By: vassillios Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/08/09 06:01 PM
I don't even go to the movies anymore, I much prefer the experience through my system.

Having said that, I AM going to go see Star Trek, Wolverine and The Hobbit fims in the theater.
Posted By: ibmack Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/08/09 11:00 PM
My selection criteria for DVDs at the video store has changed since I got my Axioms. While getting a borderline video in the past had nothing to do with what it said about sound on the back of the disk, now not only is this the key decider for making the ultimate rental, but truly crappy movies are now welcome simply because they may boast DTS 5.1 or say 6.1 DTS ES Surround. I am still in the honeymoon stage with my Axioms after more than a year and expect to renew my vows after I get my hands on the Oppo-83 and the 7.1 discrete channels bluray promises (for some stuff anyway).
Posted By: fredk Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/09/09 01:10 AM
Even my 14 year old son made a comment about the sound on Blazing Saddles.

The sound track for Serenity was certainly a redeaming feature for that flick.
Posted By: JerryCalif Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/09/09 05:19 PM
If you think 5.1 sound is great for movies. Pop a 5.1 SACD into a decent player and you will never want to hear 2 channel music again. Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms is highly recommended.
Posted By: ibmack Re: The Joy of good 5.1 sound - 04/09/09 06:04 PM
I hear you JerryCalif. Not only do I enjoy good SACD and DVD-A 5.1 recordings, but I enjoy them matrixed over 7.1 with PLIIx and Audyssey Dynamic EQ. The only thing that will beat that is when I get a bluray with some 7.1 discrete channels in all their glory. Oh sorry, this is a 5.1 thread.
© Axiom Message Boards