Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:11 AM
Hello all,

Long time Axiom user here and, well, this is my first post in several years.

I've owned an Epic 80 system (with a HSU sub) for the past several years, but have been in apartments and condos. This summer I should be moving into a house.

Current house has a 20x15x9 rec room I can put the theatre in. Do you think this is too small for the Epic80? Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:41 AM
Ravi, finally moving into a real house.
That's good news.
Last i heard you were selling some units due to a downturn change in the employment world.
You must be faring well.

And no, the room size is fine (that 9' is the ceiling height right?)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:42 AM
Ravi, welcome back; we've missed you. That room size wouldn't require the output capabilities of the M80s, but of course you're in control of how loud you play them. No speaker can "overpower" a room if you don't let it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:43 AM
Congrats, Ravi!!

And welcome back!

Yeah, I agree with Chess--you should be fine with that room.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
No speaker can "overpower" a room if you don't let it.

And if the speaker gets overpowering, tackle the massive M80 to the ground and twist its neck until you pop a tweeter.
That outta slow it down some.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:50 AM
Should work fine, welcome back!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 04:06 AM
 Quote:
And if the speaker gets overpowering, tackle the massive M80 to the ground and twist its neck until you pop a tweeter.
That outta slow it down some.
But while you're on the ground with it, don't let its ports get you sidetracked.
Posted By: CV Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 04:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
But while you're on the ground with it, don't let its ports get you sidetracked.

How else are we going to be audiophiles?
Posted By: CV Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 04:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: ravi_singh

Welcome back. I remember seeing your name come up enough when I would browse threads.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 04:24 AM
Charles, that certainly would be a different definition for "audiophile".
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 05:58 AM
That was funny!

I'm gonna giggle every time someone uses that term now. \:D
audiophile......audiophile......audiophile......audiophile......

(and welcome back, Ravi!)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 12:29 PM
MY room is similar size with an epic 80 system... no problems here.
Posted By: alan Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 01:39 PM
Hi Ravi,

Nice to see your name on the forum again--welcome back. I use an Epic 80 system in a similar-sized room (along with a speaker switching system that currently has M22s on the "B" position of the A/B switch).

The only cautionary note is that you'll need to take more care with placement (away from the corners, etc.) with the M80s and the seating area vs. the standing waves in the room and the M80s' extended bass output, even when set to "Small". That also applies to subwoofer placement.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 02:43 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's nice to see that so many of you remember me. I remember you all as well - what a testament to Axiom that their customers stick around for so long.

Chess - I did have to sell off my EP350 and M22's some time ago, and even my M3's. I miss those bookshelf speakers so much. But things are better now and I'm looking to move to Chicago with my girlfriend.

I'll let you all know how it works out once I do move.

Thanks again,
Ravi.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 03:57 PM
Hi Ravi,

I'm going to pile on (of course we remember you, dude!) and say that the Epic 80 would be just fine for that room size.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/15/09 04:44 PM
Hello all,

I've owned an Epic 80 system (with a HSU sub) for the past several years, but have been in apartments and condos. This summer I should be moving into a house.

Current house has a 20x15x9 rec room I can put the theatre in. Do you think this is too small for the Epic80? Any thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Hi Ravi!

If you just want to spend some money just add a second sub to even out the LFEs in that room.

Bug
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/16/09 02:18 PM
Bug,

Do you really think a second sub in a room that small would be necessary? Or are you just suggesting for fun \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/16/09 03:23 PM
You should be fine with your system in that room, it is actually reasonably large and yes a second sub could be squeezed in to smooth out the bass response at all listening positions.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Room size recommendation for Epic 80 - 04/16/09 03:42 PM
Bug,

Do you really think a second sub in a room that small would be necessary? Or are you just suggesting for fun \:\)

I have AV123 MFW-15s at each end of my room 23x13x8. I moved the EP500 to the office.

Was is necessary? No. Did it make a difference? YES!

And I'm not a bass-head either.
© Axiom Message Boards