Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SavageButchery EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 03:08 PM
I'm looking for a sub in the 600-700 range or so and was looking at the LFM1 Plus, VTF2 MK3, and for the heck of it the Sentinel cause of the size. My living room is 14x15 with vaulted ceilings and it opens up to the kitchen in back.
The current sub i have is a 12 year old pile of poo is 17"H, 17"D, 13"W jbl 100 watt. The catch is i'm trying to swap out the old sub with the new one without my wife noticing a major size difference. The Sentinel which i probably can't afford is close to the size and then there's the Axiom. I'm more into the Axiom cause of the price. Don't want to go over 750. If the Axiom does well for the movie stuff and the music (metal/rock) then i'll call them up today.
Posted By: doormat Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 05:41 PM
Well, I have the 350 and can testify that it sounds great for music and movies. You will feel the bass from movies, 'though not to the extent of higher end models from all producers.

I can't personally compare it to the other models in your list, but both the Outlaw and Hsu also get very positive reviews from forum members. Note, the 350 is about 2.5" taller, wider and deeper than your current sub, the Hsu and Outlaw about 5" bigger.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 05:55 PM
Have you looked at svs at all? They also build some very good subs. I don't know about dimmensions though.

I have the EP350 as well and it is a very good sub. It has enough output for all but the largest rooms.

However, there are other subs out there in this price range that will reach lower. I do not know if they will meet your physical footprint though.
Posted By: Wid Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 05:56 PM
Check out eD. their price includes shipping.
Posted By: Gieseman Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 06:35 PM
Check out the paradigm dsp-3200 I like the one I have it will rattle the room. There is a lot of good subs out there in that price range.
Posted By: SavageButchery Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 07:33 PM
where can you get the paradigms online? unless i haven't looked hard enough.lol. knowing i'm going from a sub that is i think around 28 or 30hz i'm sure i'll be more than happy with a 350.
Posted By: Dduval Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 07:40 PM
Hey Savage,

I've had the 350 for couple months now, shakes my walls, excellent with both music/movies. I have an open floor plan, living room extending into the dining/kitchen, over 5000 cuft. I'm totally happy with it.

I currently am running two subs in each corner, the 350 in one and my 10 year old 100watt JBL \:\) I keep imagining what an EP500 in place of that old JBL would be like. That way I'll have matching subs, 350 and the 500. That should hold me over for awhile...maybe. \:\)

dduval
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 07:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: SavageButchery
knowing i'm going from a sub that is i think around 28 or 30hz i'm sure i'll be more than happy with a 350.

The EP350 has a -3db point of 28Hz. In my room I get extension to around 21Hz. I bet your old sub has a -3db point closer to 40Hz.

I do not think Paradigm sells online. You may find a grey market seller online though.
Posted By: SavageButchery Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 09:12 PM
sounds like if i go for the 350 i'll have the same sub setup as you. not sure what model jbl you have but mine is a TLX PS10 i got at futureshop about a decade ago. I'll be putting the new sub to the left of the couch. not sure where i'd stick the other though maybe in front inbetween the tv and the right tower. i have all jbl studio speakers for my 7.1 setup. as long as i can get the full 18hz out of it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 09:19 PM
Have you tested to make sure that left of couch is the ideal position acoustically?
Posted By: Dduval Re: EP350 or one of the others? - 04/18/09 11:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: SavageButchery
sounds like if i go for the 350 i'll have the same sub setup as you. not sure what model jbl you have but mine is a TLX PS10 i got at futureshop about a decade ago. I'll be putting the new sub to the left of the couch. not sure where i'd stick the other though maybe in front inbetween the tv and the right tower. i have all jbl studio speakers for my 7.1 setup. as long as i can get the full 18hz out of it.

Hehe, my JBL is a PSW-1000 10" from circuit city years ago, it actually does ok for 100watts. It just helps to even out the LFE in my space. Definitely needs a replacement thou..

dduval
© Axiom Message Boards