Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Potatohead Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:33 AM
Hey everyone, first post here.

I am building a home theatre room, and I am now officially thoroughly confused as to what audio setup I should run. The room is smallish, 11.5' x 18' x 7.5', so about 1600 cubic feet. I am going to be re-using my Velodyne 10" sub but the rest of the system (5.1) will be Axiom. I am trying to keep the other 5 speakers in the $ 13 -1400 range. They will be used 90% of the time for TV/sports and movies... There will be some music, but not a whole lot.

Option 1:($1155)

M3 mains
VP100 centre
QS4 surrounds

Option 2:($1329)

M3 mains
VP150 centre
QS4 surrounds

Option 3: ($1315)

M22 mains
VP100 centre
QS4's

Option 4: ($1489)

M22 mains
VP150 centre
QS4's

The Axiom HT Wizard said I should use M3's with the VP150. The thing is, I am really worried about buying mains that are too small. I have done it before and don't want to do it again. The easy way out is to buy the M22's with VP150 but like most people I don't want to spend more money than I have to. I am also considering running the in wall versions for the front three speakers. Do they provide the same sound quality as the normal speakers?

Thank you for your time and any input is greatly appreciated.

Posted By: CV Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:55 AM
Do you need to have one of the VPs as a center speaker? If you can accommodate a bookshelf as a center speaker instead, that would save you a little money.

The in-walls are supposed to have almost identical performance to their bookshelf counterparts. The only thing is you lose the freedom to experiment with placement.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 06:10 AM
I'm not set on a VP... But I don't know that I am willing to give up a lot in terms of dialog performance just to save $100. I'm willing to spend right up to the budget cap if it means I will receive better performance. I just flat out do not know if M22's with a VP150 are going to be that much better than M3's with a VS100 (or 3 M3's) for what I am using them for, and in a small room.
Posted By: CV Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 06:15 AM
The general preference with regards to sound quality seems to be for vertical speakers as centers. Horizontal center channels were created simply because they fit better in most situations. Personally, I would probably go for 3 M22s across the front. However, let other people with greater knowledge weigh in. I've posted a lot, but I still don't know nearly as much as many of the other regulars.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 06:47 AM
Tate, welcome. Yes, the suggestion about using an identical vertical speaker as a center relates to sound quality as well as saving a bit of money. The vertical center will provide wider and smoother horizontal dispersion, and having three identical speakers across the front is considered to be ideal if the vertical center can be fit into the space available.

Also, with a tight budget keep in mind that 10% can be saved by using the factory outlet speakers(identical quality with very small cosmetic blemish)and 5% by ordering 5 items at once. Three M22s plus two QS4s would run about $963 with these discounts applied.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 08:59 AM
I would go with the VP100 scenarios opposed to the VP150 to save some bucks, as it is a very capable center channel and when paired up with the M22s makes for an excellent soundstage. My first system was M22s/VP100/and QS4's.

I would also recommend the vertical center if you have the room, I have tried a few variations with my HT and prefer a vertical center but I do not have the space to run one all the time.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 11:08 AM
Welcome Potatohead,
I have the in-wall setup (W-22's and W-150 along with QS8's). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about going that way. However as CV said, you'll get more flexibility going with the bookshelf models. Sonically however I can tell you the W's do not disappoint!

I haven't added up the numbers, but in general people tend to prefer/recommend the QS8's over the 4's - something else to consider if it's in your budget. I'll let the experts chime in on that point though as I've personally not heard the QS4's.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 12:10 PM
i vote for the factory outlet m22 option, either center would be fine.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 12:14 PM
I would go with option 2 or 4.
Posted By: davekro Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:18 PM
Potatoehead,
Would an M22 physically fit in your set up as a center channel?
What size and type TV do you have? What kind of stand? Even if you had to remove a shelf in a TV stand, would you have 19.5" ht. to fit an M22?

If it does, or you can make it fit, as JohnK said, it is the sound quality preferred choice. The fact it happens to be cheaper is beside the point. I struggled with choosing a VP150 (M80 fronts) instead of an M22. But the M22 would have had to sit infront of my TV and HT stand, so I chose the more visually appealing horizontal CC mounted on the shelf of my 73" TV's stand. But if I had been able to 'make' an M22 fit under the TV, I would have!

Bottom Line. VPs are good if you cannot 'fit' an M22.

PS. You should definitely order from the Factory outlet (saves 10%). If you order 5 things (wire and accessories count as 'things' I believe), you get an additional 5% discount. So a total of a 15% discount! That's what I and MANY here have done.

Happy shopping. \:\)
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:36 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys.

I am leaning toward the W versions thus far. I am pretty much set on W22 mains, but I am concerned about positioning. The wall is 11.5 feet wide. The screen will be 110" wide including frame. That leaves 14" on each side, so the W22's centerline would only sit about 7 - 9" from the side wall. Is this too close? I could build little false corners in the room at about a 10* angle and mount them in there if that would help, or obviously could go with the M version on stands.

Now, the centre... I will definately not have enough room to run an W22 vertically in the centre. I could fit a W3 (or W2) there if I had to, but the problem with that is Axiom doesn't charge exactly half for a single in wall speaker like they do with the normal speakers, there is about a $100 surcharge. This puts the price very close to the W100... I do not know which would perform better as a centre. Money aside, if the W3 is a better choice than a W100, is it a better choice than a W150 also?

Lastly, in a room the size of mine, are the QS8's really the way to go instead of the QS4's?
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: davekro
Potatoehead,
Would an M22 physically fit in your set up as a center channel?
What size and type TV do you have? What kind of stand? Even if you had to remove a shelf in a TV stand, would you have 19.5" ht. to fit an M22?

If it does, or you can make it fit, as JohnK said, it is the sound quality preferred choice. The fact it happens to be cheaper is beside the point. I struggled with choosing a VP150 (M80 fronts) instead of an M22. But the M22 would have had to sit infront of my TV and HT stand, so I chose the more visually appealing horizontal CC mounted on the shelf of my 73" TV's stand. But if I had been able to 'make' an M22 fit under the TV, I would have!

Bottom Line. VPs are good if you cannot 'fit' an M22.

PS. You should definitely order from the Factory outlet (saves 10%). If you order 5 things (wire and accessories count as 'things' I believe), you get an additional 5% discount. So a total of a 15% discount! That's what I and MANY here have done.

Happy shopping. \:\)

You posted this just as I was posting my previous post, so a lot of your questions will be answered there.

I think I will go the outlet route. Seems like a great deal. I do have to commend Axiom on an excellent site, easily one of the most user-friendly sites I have used.

Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 05:52 PM
I think you're on track already (i was late to this party.) It definitely seems like from your options you'd want M22 (or W22) + sub since you said you're much more likely to use the setup for movies and tv. It does seem like people seem to prefer M3s for more music use.

While I haven't experimented with a 22 for the center channel, I have been more than happy with my VP150 in my setup. My hunch is you too would be pretty happy with either center, but if not there's always the return period for this very reason.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 06:06 PM
Potatohead, make sure you locate all of your wall studs and electrical before going the W route. Especially the center channel requires 16" on center or larger to fit. The results are fantastic but you do need to preplan. You can see a few pics of my setup here. I need to update these pics, but this should help give you an idea of what the finished product looks like. (Ignore all the during construction pics)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 06:10 PM
I think just for the visual with the W series you need to stick with the 100 or 150. I also think there might be less differential between the W22 and the W100/150, less cabinet volume on the W22 most likely diminishes the lower bass ouput enough to make the sealed VP or W100/150 sound much closer than their bookshelf brethren. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to give my own review of a W series set up compared to my M22s/Vp100/150 etc., as I may be in 'need' of an in wall system.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 08:14 PM
Alright, I think I have this mapped out now.

W22 mains
W150 centre
QS8 surrounds

Through the outlet it's only $50 over my cap and it's the best equipment out of all my options.

As far as the studs in the wall go, I have decided to mount the screen on the main wall, and then build a small 5 - 6" deep wall extension around the sides and bottom of the screen. Reason being, the screen wall right now already has insulation and vapour barrier and all that in it, I'd rather not take it apart. I can then also angle the new wall slightly in on the sides to point the speakers at the listening area and allow plenty of room behind for the "in wall" part of the speakers. It also looks nice when the screen is recessed a bit.

Now if only I could afford the rosewood! It's gorgeous
Posted By: Adrian Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 08:39 PM
That's a nice combo there, Taterhead.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 08:49 PM
That will both sound and look great!
Posted By: hietpas Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/14/09 09:12 PM
option 3 or 4

nm, I'm too late \:\)
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/15/09 02:43 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I plan to move up to 7.1 with a new receiver (currently have Onkyo 505) in a year or two and I'll buy a couple more QS8's at that time... Probably a new sub too.

As for now, it's a huge upgrade, so very happy \:D
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/15/09 04:08 AM
Sorry, double post
Posted By: CV Re: Help me select an Axiom setup - 05/15/09 05:20 AM
Congratulations on the decision. I'm sure you'll be very pleased.
© Axiom Message Boards