Axiom Home Page
Hello-

I've been lurking for a while, great info here. I am basically starting from scratch, so I'm planning to purchase a Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma, AV receiver (either an Onkyo or a Marantz SR6001 or SR4002), 2 bookshelf speakers (I'm thinking M3s) and a subwoofer. I'm stumped about the subwoofer. The room is only 13' X 13' although it does have 2 wide openings to the adjoining rooms. Would the EP175 be a good choice in a room this size?

I would add a pair of QS8s as budget allows.

Thanks in advance.

Kathleen
Welcome to the forum!

Either receiver would work great with the M3's. If you watch a lot of movies I would recommend going a step up with the EP350. The QS8's are on of the most loved speakers around here but you could even get away with using the QS4's in a room your size.

Are you going to be using any sort of centre channel for your setup?

Cheers!
Thanks.

Forgot to mention in my original post, the plan is that I would add a center channel at the same time at the surround speakers. I'm thinking the VP150.

I was thinking the subwoofer was more of a priority than the center channel or surround speakers but I'm open to input.
Do you mostly listen to music vs watching movies or a combination of both?

I agree, getting the main speakers and subwoofer first would be the best way to start building your system piece by piece (others would disagree and say go mains, surrounds).
Mix of music and movies. The teenage sons also do a bit of gaming (XBox 360).

Music wise, it would be mostly rock and blues.
IMO this setup would excel in all areas (music, movies and videogames)

M3
EP350v3
QS4
VP100 or VP150
Welcome, Kathleen.

Don't feel obligated to get a VP150 in that size room; I have a VP100 in a very large room and am quite happy.

I would definitely start with mains+sub, especially if you watch a fair number of movies.

I have heard neither the EP175 nor EP350, but conventional wisdom around here seems to be that there is a very significant difference between the two and that the EP350 is worth the extra money. The wide openings you have into other rooms would probably warrant the upgrade. Depending upon what you want, where you live, and how important it is to you to have the finish on the sub match the finish on the mains, you might also entertain the notion of a sub from another quality manufacturer.

My opinion on the overall setup matches Dr. House, although if you can spare the extra money, moving from the QS4 to QS8 might be a consideration. Personally, I'd rather have the QS8/VP100 than QS4 and VP150, especially in that size room. The QS8's have a deeper bass extension that you might find valuable with all kinds of content.

People love Denon receivers. Although I have owned them in the past, I've never thought they were a particularly good value, and the manuals and remotes are just horrible. Some people I trust and respect have reported reliability issues with Marantz. I am currently running an Onkyo 805 and am happy with it. I also have an older Onkyo still chugging away trouble free in another system. I think they provide pretty good value nowadays.

Don't let these guys try to talk you into an expensive receiver. Just get the features you think you need/want. Many units in the $400-500 range are amazingly capable, and you don't need a retarded amount of power in that size room.

If you don't need pre-outs, zone2 or seven channels, the 4-HDMI, Audyssey-equipped refurb TX-SR507 at Accessories4less is a bargain for $269. They also have the 607 for $100 more.

Another good place to check is http://www.shoponkyo.com

Enjoy your journey!
Thanks Tom.

I was looking at both Onkyo and Marantz at Accessories4Less. Still trying to decide which route to go on the receiver.

For the sub, I would lean towards one that matches, unless I can figure out somewhere to put it where it won't be too obtrusive. The option for oak finishes is a plus for me as I thought it might fit better with the room (oak floors and trim since the house was built in 1930).
There is a big difference between the EP175 and EP350. The 175 is probably big enough for your room, but it will not reach as low as the 350.

personally I would go for the 350. If size is an issue, but not budget, the EP400 puts out huge bass in a very small package.
 Originally Posted By: katmu
The option for oak finishes is a plus for me as I thought it might fit better with the room (oak floors and trim since the house was built in 1930).

Don't forget to request samples from Axiom if you want to match a finish....

And I think the 350 would be suit the needs of the X-Box! \:\)

Oh.... and welcome!
Hi Kathleen. Welcome to the forum.

As I read through the thread, I was formulating my thoughts, and had a pretty good idea of what I was gonna say. But, then doggone Tom went ahead and said it all first. \:\( ;\) His advice, IMHO, was impeccable, particularly:

"Don't feel obligated to get a VP150 in that size room"

"I would definitely start with mains+sub, especially if you watch a fair number of movies."

"...the EP350 is worth the extra money. The wide openings you have into other rooms would probably warrant the upgrade."

"...I'd rather have the QS8/VP100 than QS4 and VP150, especially in that size room."

"Don't let these guys try to talk you into an expensive receiver. Just get the features you think you need/want."

HEY! Thanks Tom. It was much easier to copy and paste than to type it myself.
Side note on going with a TX-SR507... you can get them from 6ave.com new for 262.50 (no tax unless you are in NY, free shipping). Just use their 25% off coupon (AFLAUD25). You may have to call them, rather than place the order over the internet. Hopefully the promotion is still in effect, even if it is listed as expired (it was "expired" when I used it).
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
 Originally Posted By: katmu
The option for oak finishes is a plus for me as I thought it might fit better with the room (oak floors and trim since the house was built in 1930).

Don't forget to request samples from Axiom if you want to match a finish....

And I think the 350 would be suit the needs of the X-Box! \:\)

Oh.... and welcome!

I agree, videogame soundtracks are very demanding on the subwoofer these days especially with the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

I am also a very big fan of Panasonic products. I am sure that 42" Plasma is going to make for an excellent and reliable tv.
Jack, happy to help \:\) Even happier to have your affirmation

Golden, good find!

Kathleen, you might just go ahead and give the EP175 a try if money is tight and you are impatient. You will probably think it is wonderful, especially if your frame of reference does not currently include a good quality subwoofer. If you decide you need/want "more sub" within the 30 day trial period, I'm sure Axiom will be generous in accommodating you.

Another option might be to get the M2 and the EP350 instead of the M3 and EP175.

You haven't mentioned how you will be positioning the speakers; will they sit on top of a stand next to the TV or something?

Also, remember that the Axiom Factory Outlet saves you some money and most people (including me) cannot easily find any visible flaw with FO speakers.
There isn't currently a seperate sub in the room, but there are 2 Definitive BP3000 (previous version) plus a center channel, and 2 side and 2 rear surrounds (all definitive). The soon-to-be ex is taking all of his equipment with him.

The front 2 would preferably sit on top of the TV stand. The stand is 30" H X 72" wide.
Hi Kathleen, as the receivers go I have a Integra with Axiom speakers great set up. I have a friend with a Marantz I set up his system and I think the Integra/Onkyo are easier to set up. Both receivers are great but I think the Integra/Onkyo is more user friendly.
Another happy Onkyo user here
© Axiom Message Boards