Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SylBer Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 05:14 PM
Hi,

I'm new on this forum and new to the world of home theater as well. I already bought the components of my fisrt home theater and I am starting to worry if I bought the right equipment. Considering the list of things I bought, will I encounter problems or should these components work well together. I know this might sound as a beginer's question (and so am I), but I am really starting to worry.

Axiom Epic 80-350
Samsung HL-67A750
Sony PS3
Pioneer VSX-9130THX

Best regards.
Posted By: fredk Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 05:21 PM
Relax, hook it all up and enjoy. Wait, take and post pictures before you enjoy, because once you turn the system on we won't hear from you for a while. ;\)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 05:38 PM
I have a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, when they replaced it with the VSX-1019AH-K I wondered what was going on. Other than a few, mostly useless, new features it seemed to be a step down. Now I see the reasoning, they needed to differentiate the VSX-9130TXH-K. I really like my 1018, and will eventually end up with an Epic 80 setup too (building mine piece-by-piece). The 9130 should be an excellent receiver, especially for the price.

I also have a PS3. Been considering the new Oppo player. The Oppo is quieter, and has a better scaler for DVD playback. But other than that, I still think the PS3 is a better Blu-ray player if you're going to be using an HDMI connection to a 1080p set (mostly because of sound mixing, and disc compatibility issues with the Oppo).
Posted By: Micah Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 05:51 PM
Wow this is your first stab at HT? That's a pretty good list of equipment for a first timer. Starting off with M80's is like learning to drive in a Ferrari F40... how do you upgrade that???

Lol, just kidding. You'll be in heaven once everything is hooked up, enjoy.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 06:01 PM
Why on earth would you worry? Just relax and enjoy.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 06:48 PM
that system will be awesome! Most people will never own such a great system.
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 07:24 PM
Hi,

I'm woried because eventhough I red a lot on the internet, posts on this forum and articles on Axiom's Website, I am still not perfectly comfortable with all the technical terms and everything. I was especially concerned about blowing a lot of money and not being sure to get the maximum out of my system.

Now that I've red your posts, all I have to do is wait for the 80-350 to arrive, put it all together and enjoy.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Avi Deshpande Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 07:52 PM
It will be awesome..

I have a similar setup..but Denon 4802 with PS3 and a borrowed EP350, which will have to go back to the other in a few weeks \:\)

You will be blown away. I am enjoying it and am yet to get the SPL meter and setup..which should make it even better. You are in good hands on the forum. These guys are amazing. Somebody will even comeover and help for beers ofcourse \:\)

Enjoy..

--Avi
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 08:05 PM
The MCACC auto setup for Pioneer does a remarkably good job. Just make sure there's no ambient noise (I did my final run through at 4 AM and the ground outside was covered in snow). It doesn't get too fancy, just levels, distances, and a little EQing (with the Axioms review the EQ adjustments, they should be minimal). It does also do a 3 point adjustment for the subwoofer too, which really helped to flatten bass response in my room.
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 09:58 PM
This forum is one of the reason I bought an Axiom HT. The other is my uncle has one and I was amazed at how good it is. Since he shopped HT for years (literally) before buying an Epic 80-350, it made my decision real easy.
Posted By: Wid Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 10:12 PM
That's going to be a fine system.
Posted By: Micah Re: Will my setup work? - 08/03/09 10:38 PM
Well give your uncle thanks, he gave you a massive head start in this game forsure. Most of us started off much more modestly. For example my first try looked something like this...

Aiwa 5.1 channel bookshelf unit
Toshiba 27 inch TV
Sony Hi-Fi VCR

I'm not sure what the requirements were to be able to call your VCR 'Hi-Fi', but all I remember mine having was left and right RCA jacks. Now don't get me wrong, there are better HT systems to be had then the one you just bought. But only if you're willing to part ways with a substantial amount of money. I'm talking three or four times the money you just spent.

So you should be good for years and years to come my friend.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 05:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
I'm not sure what the requirements were to be able to call your VCR 'Hi-Fi', but all I remember mine having was left and right RCA jacks.

The Hi-Fi audio track was a secondary track which was interwoven with the helical, video track. It required a special pickup head to read it instead of the linear, mono audio track.

Why do I know this stuff?
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 12:01 PM
This guy is amazing!
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 02:20 PM
There are better here than I. This is really an amazing board with people very knowledgeable in every aspect of human existence. I just happen to have a head full of minutia about consumer electronics.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 02:21 PM
And you have found a place where it is appreciated. Ain't this place great? \:\)
Posted By: Micah Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 03:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Why do I know this stuff?

Haha, that's funny. And yes your otherwise useless knowledge on such trivial matters (unless you get a shot on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionair') has finally found a place where you can be 'The Man'!!!
Posted By: Golden Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 08:59 PM
+1 Chris!
Posted By: autoboy Re: Will my setup work? - 08/04/09 11:56 PM
Don't forget to come back and ask questions about setup. Ask anything you aren't familiar with. The equipment is only the first step, even the best equipment can sound terrible without proper setup. I would say setup is at least 50% of the equation, but it doesn't really work like that because if you setup really really wrong like a friend of mine had, it can ruin it 100%.
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 01:15 AM
Of course I'll come back. Hopefully, the auto setup device that comes with the Pioneer 9130 will do a good job and I will only have to adjust it marginally.
Posted By: Micah Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 03:59 AM
Another thing you want to do besides the receiver settings and so on is play with speaker placement. I originally placed my M80's about 18 inches from the wall and loved it. Later on, I tried moving them out to about 3 feet from the wall. I noticed a rather large drop off in bass performance, so I moved them back and found they do perform much better 18 inches away from the back wall.

The QS8's are wall mounted, but you can still play with where on the wall they sound the most dynamic. My VP150 was destined to hang from the ceiling pointed down at me because there isn't any room beneath the tv for it. But luckily I think it sound great up there. I never did put it under the tv to test it though, I was afraid I might like it and be stuck putting it above the tv anyhow! \:\(
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 02:39 PM
I know you will al think I'm silly, but the whole system in placed in cabinets. I know what you are going to say, but my wife insisted not to see the speakers. Since marriage is all about compromise, I said yes to cabinets, but negociated the purchase of an Axiom system instead of a HT in a box. I figured an Axiom system at 95% of it's full capacity is still better than a HT in a box. I also designed the cabinets myself, red a lot about optimal speaker placement on this forum, and located the speakers at the best place I could.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 02:55 PM
Did you purchage the T-series (T-60 or T-80) or the regular Ms?
The T-series is for use in cabinets.
Posted By: Argon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 04:09 PM
Now - instead of HT in a box, you have Axiom in a box. I am sure there are a lot of the group thinking this is fair part of your problem.
Posted By: Micah Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 04:49 PM
Oh, are your M80's going in the closet too? Or just the rest? I'm not forsure how they would perform in those conditions. Guess you'll find out eh? Lol
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 05:22 PM
Should have told the wife speakers already come in cabinets.
Posted By: SylBer Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 11:49 PM
I bought the floor standing M80 and designed the cabinets with a sliding bottom so that I can open the door and take the speakers out if I want to. Thus, when not in use, the cabinet looks just like a normal cabinet. And when I watch a movie, the sound should not be too altered, I hope. Also, I plan to make some holes inside the cabinets so that the speakers can breath properly. Like you said, I'll find out soon.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Will my setup work? - 08/05/09 11:49 PM
That sounds reasonable.
© Axiom Message Boards