Axiom Home Page
Posted By: doors need sub for large room - 08/07/09 08:05 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a sub. A friend of mine who's visiting toronto, canada will purchase this for me. I need a 220v version.

Currently I am considering the following subs:
SVS PB12 NSD
HSU VTF-3 MK3
Axiom ep 350
Axiom ep 500 (factory outlet, if I can get it fast enough as my friend leaves in about 10 days)
Monitor audio rsw-12

Room Size

The main listening area is 19.5 x 18.5 x 10.5
3787 cubic feet. The system is kept along the 18.5 ft wall. The listening positions is about 11-12 ft.

But the Dining and open kitchen is attached to it, and the total area is 31.5 ft x 18.5 x 10.5 = 6118 cubic feet

So I guess I should consider the room to be 6118 cubic feet for subwoofer purchase purpose, right?

What specs at a minimum I should be looking for a sub. The volume of the room is large, and many a sub could fail in it.

Usage:
50% movies, 50% music.
I mainly listen to classic rock, blues, heavy metal, jazz, classical music etc.

Current setup:
Yamaha RX-V663 AVR, marantz cd6000 OSE cd player, B&W 602 S2 for mains, LCR 600S3 center channel, B&W rock solid for surrounds, HTPC with M-Audio revolution 7.1 sound card.
Posted By: jakewash Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 08:41 AM
I think the best ones for a room of that size is either the EP500 or the HSU. The EP350 would also work very well but doesn't reach as low as the other 2. I had the PB12-nsd and it has plenty of punch, a little too much for my tastes in the 50-60 hz range. I had to move it around the room a little to even things out. The other subs I have tried, EP350/500 and my current PB13- Ultra worked very well and were smooth right out of the box and no extra positioning was required.

I was very impressed by the EP500 when I heard it, lots of good HT power for such a small package and it was great with music as are all the EP subs I have heard.
Posted By: doors Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 02:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I think the best ones for a room of that size is either the EP500 or the HSU. The EP350 would also work very well but doesn't reach as low as the other 2. I had the PB12-nsd and it has plenty of punch, a little too much for my tastes in the 50-60 hz range. I had to move it around the room a little to even things out. The other subs I have tried, EP350/500 and my current PB13- Ultra worked very well and were smooth right out of the box and no extra positioning was required.

I was very impressed by the EP500 when I heard it, lots of good HT power for such a small package and it was great with music as are all the EP subs I have heard.

Thanx
Can you tell me where in toronto, canada can i buy hsu. What is the cost for vtf3 mk3.

How good are the factory outlet subs from axiom. Dont want too many marks or dings with them or my wife wont be happy, and i will be in trouble.

I just confirmed with my friend, he's leaving canada on the 16th aug evening. Any other good options that are possible in the given amount of time.

My budget is max 1100 CAD.

If I order a sub from US, do I need to pay the customs duty on the sub. Since the sub is going out of canada, can this duty be refunded at the time of departure.
Posted By: Adrian Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 02:58 PM
As far as I know, audio equipment requires only that you pay GST and sales tax when you claim your items at the border, but check with customs first. Sonic Boom Audio used to carry HSU subs from what I understand, now they are an SVS dealer. They are in Richmond Hill just north of T.O.
Posted By: doors Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 05:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
As far as I know, audio equipment requires only that you pay GST and sales tax when you claim your items at the border, but check with customs first. Sonic Boom Audio used to carry HSU subs from what I understand, now they are an SVS dealer. They are in Richmond Hill just north of T.O.

Just got an email from hsu, they only sell direct in canada, no dealership and it seems there is not enough time to get it here unless i use express shipping. I have asked for a quote, but I think it will take vtf3 out of my budget.

sonic boom does not carry 220v products and have asked me to buy direct from svs.
What about monitor audio rsw-12, how good is that sub. anyone knows the street price for that in canada.
Posted By: Micah Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 05:35 PM
If your friend has to leave before the Factory Outlet has an EP500 available don't worry, shipping is free!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 05:44 PM
Axioms shipping costs are included in the price. You will not be charged any additional fees when Axiom ships items to united states addresses (duty, brokerage etc) . What you pay at checkout is the final cost.
Posted By: Adrian Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 06:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: doors

If I order a sub from US, do I need to pay the customs duty on the sub. Since the sub is going out of canada, can this duty be refunded at the time of departure.
These are rather specific questions that you should contact Canada Customs about. Having said that, I believe if your friend is "in transit", meaning if he were visiting Toronto, then went shopping in the US for a day, he might be considered "in transit" and MAY not have to pay any taxes on purchases as those items are not staying in Canada. You need to find out for yourself the details from Can Cstms though. You have to remember that subs are inherently expensive to ship as well, so make sure you include a substantial amount if you are taking this route, this is why people are mentioning the free shipping on the EP500. Where are you shipping to?
Posted By: mikeak Re: need sub for large room - 08/07/09 07:17 PM
Do you realize that Axiom builds the shipping price into their pricing worldwide? Have you tried converting to your currency and seeing what the price would be? That way it would be properly packaged all the way to the destination. I was very surprised when I looked at the prices for Swedish currency (where I am from but I live in the US now) it was very very competitively priced considering shipping and exchange rate
Posted By: CV Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 01:25 AM
Where in Sweden are you from? I want to visit there sometime, though I'm not exactly sure where. I imagine Stockholm, but I wonder where else I'd want to see.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 02:06 AM
My HT/Recroom is around 8,000 cu ft and my previous EP500 did a fine job filling that space. I currently have 3 subs, an EP600 and 2 EP350v3's arranged around the room. One sub in any room will not even out the frequency response for all seating positions, this can only be accomplished by multiple subs placed correctly in a room.
Posted By: mikeak Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 05:28 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Where in Sweden are you from? I want to visit there sometime, though I'm not exactly sure where. I imagine Stockholm, but I wonder where else I'd want to see.

I am from a small town in southern Sweden called Lund. The best thing with southern Sweden is how close it is to Denmark and Copenhagen specifically.

Stockholm is one of my favorite cities, Gothenborg (Göteborg in Swedish) is also a very very nice city - both are fun in the summer but stay away in the winter :).

Then I would do Copenhagen

One trick for traveling to Europe is knowing that US laws require an airline to go to their home country. So British Airways has to fly to England, Air France to France, SAS to one of the Scandinavian Countries. Why do I say this? If you fly Air France to London they will charge the same as BA to be competitive, BUT they will fly to Paris and then put you on a flight to London. You just tell them you want a 5 day transit stop in Paris going there / coming back and you get 2 cities for the price of 1.... You could even make it longer and fly somewhere else and come back to Paris then board your flight home / alternatively drive around in Europe.

Sorry long OT post \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 07:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: mikeak
I am from a small town in southern Sweden called Lund.

I know I've heard the name, but I don't know where. I listen to a lot of Swedish bands, so maybe one of them mentioned it.

One trick for traveling to Europe is knowing that US laws require an airline to go to their home country. So British Airways has to fly to England, Air France to France, SAS to one of the Scandinavian Countries. Why do I say this? If you fly Air France to London they will charge the same as BA to be competitive, BUT they will fly to Paris and then put you on a flight to London. You just tell them you want a 5 day transit stop in Paris going there / coming back and you get 2 cities for the price of 1.... You could even make it longer and fly somewhere else and come back to Paris then board your flight home / alternatively drive around in Europe.

That's a great tip. Hopefully I'll remember it whenever I get around to visiting.

I really want to hit England and Sweden (simply because they seem to be the music capitals of the world these days), but I'm sure I'd enjoy plenty of places over there. I have an online friend in Amsterdam who I'm sure would love to see me. I just need to convince enough friends to go with me on this great European tour.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 10:37 AM
If you do go, go to Venice.
Posted By: fredk Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 02:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
If you do go, go to Venice.

Before it sinks completely. I regret not taking a side trip to Venice when I had the chance.
Posted By: fredk Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 02:58 PM
 Quote:
Then I would do Copenhagen

You naughty boy!

I have been to Oslo, Copenhagen and Stolkholm, all in January. Its cold. By the geology, Oslo could be a city in northern Ontario. Stolkholm would be a stunning city in the summer.
Posted By: fredk Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 03:03 PM
[quote=CVI have an online friend in Amsterdam who I'm sure would love to see me. [/quote]
Another girlfriend your not telling us about? ;\)

Amsterdam is my favourite city in Europe. Its worth the visit just to go to the Van Goch Museum.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 04:00 PM
Charles, my father's side of the family is from Sweden and I've been there a couple of times.

Last time I went, my sister, wife and I spent a few days in Copenhagen, then took a ferry to Malmo, Sweden. Sweden has a great train system which we took to Gothenborg for a couple of days, then to Stockholm for a couple of days.

Both cities are beautiful and the people are great.

My dad took a Canal / Lock trip from Goteborg to Stockholm once, which he enjoyed immensely but said that someone younger might find a bit slow unless they were with a spouse or S.O. and would enjoy the relaxed pace of travel.
Posted By: alan Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 04:27 PM
Hi,

Never made it to Sweden but I used to own a lovely classical guitar that was made in Goteborg, Sweden. I can't remember the brand name--Goya, perhaps? It was stolen when my house was burglarized in Toronto.

Alan
Posted By: CV Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 08:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Another girlfriend your not telling us about? ;\)

Female, yes, but unfortunately she likes other females. She has a girlfriend who would run away with Regina Spektor, though, so it's not too far off from dating me.
Posted By: fredk Re: need sub for large room - 08/08/09 11:07 PM
You sure know how to pick them. Maybe the two of you could run off with Regina together...
Posted By: mikeak Re: need sub for large room - 08/09/09 04:02 AM
[/quote] I know I've heard the name, but I don't know where. I listen to a lot of Swedish bands, so maybe one of them mentioned it. [/quote]

I know Roxette and Ace of Bace are my favorites as well \:\) (JUST KIDDING)

The secret to the Swedish music success is that there are tons of "room" around each city that you can sign up for and use for free for things like your own little band. Also everyone gets free music instrument lessons starting in grade 4 . You sign up through school, but it is basically an after school activity.

It is a lot easier for kids back home to get around. I took the city buss from grade 1 by myself and it just makes it easy to get into these programs no matter what hours your parents are working etc. This combined with plenty of places to play music has really lead to a ton of band succeeding from Sweden.

Lund has had their success being one of four original University towns in Sweden with a huge mix of cultures and backgrounds coming together. By the way for the person that went to Malmö - Lund is 30 mins away

Thanks for the interest everyone. Refreshing not to hear "I always wanted to go to Switzerland...."
Posted By: CV Re: need sub for large room - 08/09/09 05:37 AM
By the way, I figured it out. I'd heard of Lund because of the song of the same name by Hello Saferide.

That's awesome about the free music instrument lessons. I wish I had grown up in an environment like that.

I'll admit I do occasionally put in some Ace of Base and ABBA. I haven't heard any Roxette. The other Swedish bands I've liked recently: The Concretes, El Perro Del Mar, Frida Hyvönen, the aforementioned Hello Saferide, Jens Lekman, Lykke Li, Maia Hirasawa, Suburban Kids With Biblical Names, Taken By Trees, Taxi Taxi!, and Those Dancing Days. They're definitely doing something right over there.
Posted By: Micah Re: need sub for large room - 08/09/09 06:32 AM
The airplane ride thing is good to know also. We flew 'Lufstansa' on our way to Italy and stopped of in Dusseldorf and Ramstein. It would have been cool to spend a day or two there before flying on to Italy. Will keep that little tid bit under my hat for future reference!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: need sub for large room - 08/09/09 11:18 AM
Refreshing not to hear "I always wanted to go to Switzerland...."

Oh, wait a minute.

It was Switzerland I liked. I always get those two confused!
Posted By: mikeak Re: need sub for large room - 08/10/09 05:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
The airplane ride thing is good to know also. We flew 'Lufstansa' on our way to Italy and stopped of in Dusseldorf and Ramstein. It would have been cool to spend a day or two there before flying on to Italy. Will keep that little tid bit under my hat for future reference!

Year 2002 - I had tickets for the European Championship in 3 group games, quarterfinal and the FINAL. Flew a dutch airline to Amsterdam, put one suitcase in a locker took the other one to the hotel. Scalped the quarterfinal and final ticket for a value that paid for the other games, hotel AND food for 5 days of partying. Got on my transit flight home to Sweden - didn't spend one extra penny...... My brother had to pay $400 for the flight from Sweden to Amsterdam \:\) Yeah good tidbit

Hoping the OP got his sub....... \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards