Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk 12v Trigger - 08/23/09 08:27 PM
It works!. Turn the receiver on, sub comes on. Turn the receiver off, sub goes off. On... on... off... off... Say, this is fun!

FWIW, when I was looking at receivers, the guy in the store didn't believe me when I told him my Axiom sub had a 12v trigger. He figured it was only for those expensive high end subs. Just another thing to appreciate about my Axiom sub.
Posted By: Micah Re: 12v Trigger - 08/23/09 09:44 PM
You mean.... Axiom doesn't sell expensive, high end subs???

lol
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 02:02 AM
exactly what kind of cable do you have to use for this again? I see no reason why I shouldn't hook my ep500 and 3808 up with one
Posted By: ihifi Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 05:09 AM
I use a trigger wire to turn on two EP500s and the A1400-8. You need a line cable terminated with 1/8 Inch (3.5mm) mono plugs. Stereo plugs are not used in triggering applications. I had to search a while to find long lengths of trigger cables and eventually ordered various lengths of trigger wire from this site. I have no affiliation with that outfit.
Posted By: fredk Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 10:02 AM
Hmm. I used a stereo plug as it was the only thing I could find locally. Is there some reason not to do this?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 11:19 AM
I am not too sure if it is a question of where the lead wires are connected inside the plug, but I can attest that it rarely works. I have 3 piece of equipment with 12v and they all required for me to find a mono plug. You don't need the whole cable mono (if you already have the stereo in a wall or something), but at least the connector.
In fact, in my setup, only the portion in the receiver is mono (with splitters). 2 out of 3 of the depending devices worked with a stereo ending on their side (but one did not).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 09:23 PM
Where exactly do you plug the mono plugs into [my 3808 and 500]? I believe Ken helped me out with this a while ago and I obviously didn't get around to it. But he used a small extension cord running from the Denon, to a wall wart, then to the 500; but this route is a little bit easier.

Thanks guys
Posted By: Ken.C Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 09:35 PM
Yup, that's exactly what I did.
Posted By: Micah Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 09:58 PM
I too could not find a mono plug... that is likely part of my problem!
Posted By: fredk Re: 12v Trigger - 08/24/09 10:32 PM
I guess I'm special then. Either that or my stereo cable is so crappy its mono.
Posted By: Hansang Re: 12v Trigger - 08/25/09 01:21 AM
I thought all Mono plugs were the same? Most computer stores (microcenter, for example) carry them. Or http://www.monoprice.com should have them.
Posted By: a401classic Re: 12v Trigger - 08/25/09 09:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
I too could not find a mono plug... that is likely part of my problem!

I've got an Axiom XLR cable w/ 12v trigger line for my EP500 that uses a 3.5 mm STEREO plug (2 insulator rings). A mono plug would only have a single insulator ring.

Of course, I don't have it connected anymore. I was blowing the low volt fuses on the EP500 at an alarming rate. Something to do with voltage incompatibility between the XLR connections on the EP500 and my Emotiva pre-pro. Have only blown one fuse in the last year since disconnecting the 12v trigger line. So now I have to get off my duff and turn the sub off an on by hand.

Scott
© Axiom Message Boards