Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 02:50 AM
It had been a while since I'd checked out HSU's website, so it's only now that I noticed this new mid-bass module. I was kind of fuzzy on the reasoning behind mid-bass modules, so it was nice to finally get a taste of their justification in the product description:

Quote:
The MBM-12 MK2 introduces our new patent pending concept of splitting up the bass frequencies. In most moderately sized rooms, mid-bass is best reproduced near the listener, while deep bass is best reproduced in a far corner. The mid bass module allows one to do optimally position the low frequencies nearby, for maximum impact.

Is anyone here using mid-bass modules? What does everyone here think of their theory?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 02:53 AM
I've always wondered about these. It seems cool, but I think it would have a major impact on the sound of the speakers themselves, no?
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 02:55 AM
Are you referring to timbre matching? At what frequencies does that become an issue?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 02:57 AM
Yeah, that! I don't know. Maybe the way a sub works, you are getting the higher frequencies leading down to the lower ones, so your ear picks up the speaker sound first. . .but it just seems kinda complicated. Probably a lot of trial and error and tweaking involved.
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 02:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Probably a lot of trial and error and tweaking involved.

\:\) That's the worst part of this hobby for me. My attention span isn't as impressive as it could be.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:03 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV

\:\) That's the worst part of this hobby for me. My attention span isn't as impressive as it could be.

Me too. Uh, what are we talking about again?

Oh look, lint. . . . .
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:04 AM
At least it was lint this time and not a gummy bear or whatever it was.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:09 AM
My belly button is a cornucopia of surprise.
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:12 AM
Has it ever re-tethered you to YOUR MOM?
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:12 AM
Sorry, it's been a while since I've made a your mom reference. It had been slumbering inside me.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:16 AM
Has it ever re-tethered you to YOUR MOM?

No, but it is on my Christmas list.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:16 AM
Sorry, it's been a while since I've made a your mom reference. It had been slumbering inside me.

I am an honored recipient.

*bows*
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:16 AM
How do you wrap that?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:17 AM
With a tight bow and the ribbon that you curl with scissors?
Posted By: fredk Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 11:59 AM
The other reason I have read for using an MBM is to make sure you have enough headroom in the upper bass range. With everyone pushing their drivers to produce deeper bass, the upper bass suffers.

You can go back to curling your naval lint now.
Posted By: dewd Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 12:48 PM
How do you set the distance of the sub when it is split in 2??? The mid bass would reach your ears before the low bass....
Posted By: fredk Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 01:15 PM
As CV pointed out, it takes a lot more fiddling. I seem to recall for those those here with multiple subs it took a lot more effort to get things to sound right.

Its a trade off.
Posted By: jakewash Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 03:53 PM
It would seem to me that if you run dual or more subs at leat one of them could be left to work with the mid bass frequencies, as most subs work to at least 120hz, which to me is the upper end of bass frequencies and still have the option of running them lower as desired.
Posted By: Micah Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 05:52 PM
I think this is a great idea. I had a Cavalier back in the day (quit laughing) in which I ran 1 inch tweets up front. 6 inch midrange speakers in kick pannels. 8 inch midbass woofers in the back doors, and 12 inch Kicker subs in the trunk. My crossover network wasn't nearly as good as it could have been, still it worked out very nicely, and with enought tweeking I think this is really the way to go. Let the smaller, faster speakers handle the midbass, and the bigger, slower speakers handle the really low stuff.

If I had the $350,000 dollars to put together a dedicated home theater system in my house I would have dozens of speakers handling everything separately. I would have tweeters, 4 inch mids, 6 1/2 inch mids, 8 inch mid bass, 10 inch mid bass, 12 inch bass and 15 inch bass speakers scattered everywhere. And they would all be crossed over to handle a very specific sonic range. I think it would be fantastic. But that day will have to wait until I hit the Powerball tonight!
Posted By: bridgman Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 10:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
If I had the $350,000 dollars to put together a dedicated home theater system in my house I would have dozens of speakers handling everything separately.

My current thinking is that with the $350K I would get some nice seats, a 1080i projector, some folding masks for the screen, a second sub, a receiver with the latest decode capabilities, a big-ass amp, and *finally* get around to hooking up the back speakers.

The remaining $335K would go in the safe and give me great pleasure every day knowing it was there. Or maybe I would just leave the cash in a briefcase up in the HT room so I could look at it every day ;\)
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/20/09 10:48 PM
My thinking is that $350,000 would be a nice start, but of course it would fall short of what I really want.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/21/09 12:04 AM
I'd buy lots of popcorn and maybe a movie.
Posted By: CV Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/21/09 12:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
I'd buy lots of popcorn and maybe a movie.

Makes me think of that scene in Real Genius.
Posted By: bridgman Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/21/09 01:38 AM
Good point... need to set aside $$ to buy popcorn and a little something for the bar :

http://www.jackdaniels.com/singlebarrel/BuyBarrel.aspx
Posted By: RickF Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/21/09 06:15 AM
That'll have you stocked up for a party or two John.

I'm wild guessing around $11-13k or more for one of those little jewels?
Posted By: fredk Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/21/09 11:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
Good point... need to set aside $$ to buy popcorn and a little something for the bar :

http://www.jackdaniels.com/singlebarrel/BuyBarrel.aspx

Hey! They wouldn't let me in. I guess at 108 I'm too old. ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/22/09 03:10 AM
Awe come on, we're talking 'dream home theaters' here fella's, this is no time to be frugal with your imaginations. When someone asks you what your dream car is do you say, "a Ford Taurus with a trunk full of savings bonds and a killer 401k"??? You think I'll ever have $350,000 dollars to sink into a home theater? That would be a big fat 'NO'!!!

But 'IF' I did, then complete separation of audio through dozens of perfectly sized speakers to be able to handle the sounds astonishingly accurately would be the route I'd take. I would guess this idea has already been done, I'm not saying I would pioneer this idea. I just think it would be the best way to do it. Incorporate huge 18 inch woofers and cross them over to handle nothing but those frequencies below 18 hz. The 15 inchers could handle 18 - 25, the 12's would reproduce 25 - 50 hz, the 10's 50 - 100 hz, the 8's 100 - 500 & so on and so forth. The higher up I went I'd start overlapping a bit to smooth out the transisions. Oh what fun it would be to build a room like that. I think that would be the greatest project of all time!!!
Posted By: Adrian Re: HSU Research MBM-12 MK2 - 09/22/09 03:24 AM
For $350,000 I'd spend $300G of that on an extension to my house for a "real" dedicated HT. Then I'd upgrade my Denon AVR, add 4 EP800's or similar and a few more surrounds and if there's any left over I'll go out and buy me an awesome '87 Taurus Wagon with minimal rust under the doors, whitewalls and an am/fm cassette player(only because 8 track is not available).
© Axiom Message Boards