Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV WAF - 09/27/09 04:26 PM
It comes up quite regularly, the general rule about women not wanting to see the speakers, with room-dominating floorstanders being the ultimate evil. I was wondering if anyone knows of any speaker companies that are headed by women, either overall or at least the aesthetic aspect of the design. Does anyone know of any?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: WAF - 09/27/09 04:36 PM
I just had the conversation with my S.O. yesterday about how she'd feel about four big subwoofers and speakers all over the room and a giant screen and she said as long as it helps her enjoy football even more she's all for it. Score!!

She's a HUGE football fan!! How'd I get so lucky? \:D
*pinches self*
Posted By: CV Re: WAF - 09/27/09 04:42 PM
It's not luck if you were able to copy Jack's mojo accurately.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: WAF - 09/27/09 05:07 PM
\:D

I hope he doesn't want it back soon!
Posted By: fredk Re: WAF - 09/27/09 05:41 PM
It is also interesting that this is an area where there is not a whole lot of compromise. In most cases it has to be 100% SO approved or snuck in(though how one sneaks a large box into any room is beyond me).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: WAF - 09/27/09 06:37 PM
Generalizing about people - women in particular - is not a recipe for success.

Yes, Sean, you are lucky \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: WAF - 09/27/09 10:52 PM
Sean, where did you find this accommodating Stinky Onion of yours?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: WAF - 09/27/09 11:19 PM
She also moonlights as a hitman (or hitperson, mind you) and I'm gonna let her read that. . . .and she's coming for you!
Posted By: CV Re: WAF - 09/27/09 11:27 PM
At least you can trust a stinky onion. The ones that don't smell are the ones you have to watch out for.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: WAF - 09/28/09 12:04 AM
Ok, so if SO is not a Stinky Onion, then she must be a Salacious Operator. It's one or the other.
Posted By: RickF Re: WAF - 09/28/09 12:30 AM
Could also be a Salacious Onion. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: WAF - 09/28/09 12:47 AM
Maybe Subtractive Orange.
Posted By: fredk Re: WAF - 09/28/09 01:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Generalizing about people - women in particular - is not a recipe for success.

Poor choice of words perhaps. It seems like this is an area where there is little compromize, though its possible that those who achieve compromise do not post.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: WAF - 09/28/09 01:08 AM
You guys crack me up! \:D
Posted By: terzaghi Re: WAF - 09/28/09 01:48 AM
Currently, my m80's vp150, ep500 and 2X QS8's are in my living room (we currently rent our house). I told my wife that if we find a house for sale that has room for me to build a home theater, I would buy some m22's or some other bookshelf for the living room and move the towers into the theater room.

Her reply was " no way., your not taking the m80's and replacing them with bookshelves. you'll just have to get bigger speakers for the theater room" \:\)

Posted By: FordPrefect Re: WAF - 09/28/09 02:24 AM
My late wife was certainly fine with the M60's in the living room, she loved the sound. I've already brought up the idea of a basement HT room with my girlfriend (yes it still sounds strange saying that word) and she's all for it.

She is not fond of floorstanding speakers so I may go with W22s and a W150 although I would like to try two vertical W150s and one horizontal W150.

Certainly on-walls don't give you as much flexibility with furture moves and I do prefer M60s but when the decision is made we will both have input and I'm sure we'll both end up happy with the results.

One thing we both agree on there will be no TV over the fireplace.

Call me a wuss but I think with any major financial decisions there needs to be communication. If you've got a good case you'll get what you want.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: WAF - 09/28/09 03:54 AM
When I had the opportunity to get new speakers of my choice (a gift from some wonderful people), my wife didn't want me to get a new sub, but she told me to go for the M80s over the 60s or QS8s. I'll take it. \:\)
Posted By: Listener Re: WAF - 09/28/09 01:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
I may go with W22s and a W150 although I would like to try two vertical W150s and one horizontal W150.

why didn't I think of that? I've got the w22s. the w150 is definately a dominating speaker compared to the w22s. It has to be trimmed back a bit.
Posted By: jakewash Re: WAF - 09/28/09 04:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: Listener

the w150 is definately a dominating speaker compared to the w22s. It has to be trimmed back a bit.
That would be due to the lower impedance of the speaker.
Posted By: cb919 Re: WAF - 09/28/09 05:28 PM
Regarding W150's as L&R speakers - I asked this same question of Axiom recently. The response from JC was that the W150 was not designed for L&R application due to frequency range (less than W22's) and overall 'fullness' of sound as compared to the 22's.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: WAF - 09/28/09 08:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect

Call me a wuss but I think with any major financial decisions there needs to be communication. If you've got a good case you'll get what you want.

Guess I'm all wussified myself! \:D Its a lot easier on the relationship when my wife enjoys the setup as well, even if sound quality and fidelity is not high on her list.
Posted By: Micah Re: WAF - 09/28/09 10:29 PM
I'm lucky in that my fiancee let me do what ever I wanted with the stereo since that was 'my domain' according to her. Hell she even let me put in my 'HT closet' idea which I more or less mentioned jokingly as I never would have dreamed she'd allow for something like that in her living room. Perhaps our situation is different from everyone else's, but I moved into HER house and started working with her in the photography studio she's owned and operated for 12 years. So it's basically 'her' business that I'm now helping to operate, therefore the shoe is kind of on the other foot in our situation. I did bring plenty of money into the equation, but still, this is her house (even though she calls it 'ours').

What I'm getting at, is even though this isn't 'my' house, as in I don't pay all the bills all by myself, my name isn't the only name on the mortguage (or even on it at all in this case), and I'm not the only, or at least the 'major' bread winner of the family, I do expect some level of communication if she would decide to change anything around here. In other words if I came home one day and my speakers were all gone and in their place stood some potted plants or statue's of some sort and when I asked about them her reply was, "well this is my house after all, and I really wanted those so I figured I'd get them".... well, lets just say I would not be very thrilled.

And this is where most of you who may be the major income or the only income... or perhaps you've owned your own house for years and just recently had a woman move in, need to understand the position that puts them in. It's basically the position I'm in. No I don't own this house, but yes I do contribute, and yes I would expect at the very least a heads up before something major or drastic was to be purchased, and would certainly appreciate 50& input in the decision beyond that. So anyone who thinks, "well this is my house, so I should be able to buy whatever I like, and if she doesn't like it, tough", then I could see where the partner in the situation would feel peaved no matter how great the speakers/subwoofer might be.

And I'm not pointing any fingers around here, I'm only portraying the other side for anyone who may not have given it any thought. I'd say I was probably guilty of this myself in my last house that I bought and owned for 12 years throught 3 serious relationships (2 wives and a girlfriend of 4 years). I'd say once the first wife moved out I probably pushed my weight around a bit more than what I should have. Not that I really ever remembered having anyone complain about my basement home theater, but I suppose I never was as thoughtful as I could have been when getting the equipment I did. Like I said, now that the shoe is on the other foot I can see how even with the best of intentions, it's still curtious to discuss a major purchase no matter who's pocket it's coming out of.
© Axiom Message Boards