Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rprice54 In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 05:29 AM
I have been researching speakers for about a month now, I still have a bunch to learn. I am building a home theater/media room in my basement. The room will need to be more than just a "theater," and part of that will be a full built in cabinet for the front wall so the AV stuff can be hidden when not in use. the screen will retract into the cabinet as well. I do woodworking as a hobby, and part of this will be a chance to showcase my woodworking when the room is not being used for video.

But I also know I want floorstanding/full sized speakers, my dilemma has been how to 1)hide those in a cabinet but 2) build the cabinet big enough/insulated enough to not kill the speakers. Everything I read says 'don't do it.' I was starting to worry I would be stuck with in-walls or bookshelf speakers that didn't really fit what I want.

I was thrilled when I found that Axiom carries the M60/80 speakers in "In-cabinet" designs as well. Honestly, carrying these speakers as "in-cabinet" could make my day- although I still would really like to see and hear them... I know about the 30 day trial. Is the sound equivalent to the floorstanding speakers? what are the tradoff's?

My question is this: the room is 15'8" by 20' deep, with 8' ceilings, just below 2500 cubic feet by my math. I want to spend about $2500 on the speakers (5.1) system. It's a concrete slab floor that will be covered with carpet. Would a system built around the in-cabinet M60's be a good fit? I figure probably the 350 sub, the 150 center, and the surrounds. The main seating area will be ~10ft from the screen/speakers.

I can't find any specific reviews of the in-cabinet models, anyone around here have them? care to share any pics?

I'll attach a preliminary photo/sketchup model of what I want to do, although the front L/R speakers will be down near the floor to better line up with the center, and I may go ahead with the in-cabinet center speaker as well which would change the design a bit- but you get the idea.

What about the sub? I can park it in the back of the room if I need to, but in cabinet would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: fredk Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 05:42 AM
From what I know, the in-cabinets have the same dimensions as the floorstanders, they just have a front baffle that is meant to be built into a cabinet. They are also front ported, but I do not believe this would have any effect on their sound

Axiom does a very good job with their in-wall and in-cabinet speakers
Posted By: rprice54 Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 02:01 PM
The website here says no compromise, I just want to be sure. They get good reviews everywhere, but I can't find a specific review of the in-cab models.
Posted By: Adrian Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 03:04 PM
I guess it's a bit more of an issue to review an in-cab speaker, at least if we're talking professional reviews, simply due to the issues of being "installed" vs a pair of towers or bookshelfs. Should be some customer reviews out there somewhere though...
Posted By: dewd Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 03:07 PM
Of course the marketing dept says no compromise, but anytime you take away the ability to move your speakers, it is a compromise. If you are 'have' to put them in a cabinet, then absolutely get the speakers designed for a cabinet. But, if you have the choice, free standing is the best way to go.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you will be happy with the Axioms.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 03:21 PM
They're a new product. I don't know of anyone on the forums that has them. Several people have the in-walls or the in/on walls (W series), and generally report very good results with those.
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 07:52 PM
Buy some, get them istalled and give us a review ;\) \:\)
Posted By: rprice54 Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/17/09 08:06 PM
I'm this close to pulling the trigger. The sale newegg has right now on the Onkyo recievers is very tempting as well.

I'm going to see if I can track down anyone in the Atlanta area to listen to some Axiom speakers. I guess I need to build some test enclosures as well. I haven't built the entertainment center yet, because I want to build it custom around my speakers. I guess I could build some basic boxes and test the speakers out with the 30 day trial.

You guys don't want my review- I'm no audiophile, I'm a geek, but not an audiophile. My only comparison will be to a Panasonic $400 HTIB setup I have upstairs right now. I'm guessing any speakers I get will blow that out of the water. I'll be happy to post pics though...

Maybe Axiom will send me regular speakers and in-cab speakers and pay me to do a review??? ;\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 03:39 AM
rprice, you could ask Jollo(Joe) for an audition, he is a recent recipient of Axioms and is in Athens, I believe(don't know how close that is to you). Maybe send him a pm and, of course, a bribe of some kind of fermented beverages.
Posted By: rprice54 Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 04:22 AM
thanks for the suggestion. I'll look him up.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 04:27 AM
Also, Axiom would be happy to send you both. For a small fee of the total purchase price. ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 06:41 AM
Ah, so the 'in-cabinet' speakers differ from the 'in-wall' speakers? I had thought they were one in the same.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 03:48 PM
Depends on the size of the speaker. I think the only true in-walls Axiom makes are the M2 and the M22. The VP150, M60, and M80 are all in-cabinet, since unless you live in a castle or something, you don't have walls 24 inches thick.
Posted By: Argon Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 07:14 PM
Could you design your cabinet so that you could pivot the speakers? It would not be the same as freestanding but it would allow you some flex.
Posted By: Joebob Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/18/09 11:58 PM
rprice54:

Check your messages. You can come over and listen to my M80's if you would like. \:\)

Hat tip to Adrian.

Joe
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 12:23 AM
Hat tip?

Dude, he only works for beer!
Posted By: CV Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 12:29 AM
Maybe it was raining beer, and the tip of the hat let it roll off the brim.
Posted By: Micah Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 01:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Maybe it was raining beer, and the tip of the hat let it roll off the brim.

Well if it were raining beer this would be a good thing. On the other hand if it were raining men, well ah........
Posted By: fredk Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 01:18 AM
Roll up the rim? Did someone say rrrroll up the rrrrim?
Posted By: Joebob Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 02:04 AM
No, it's roll up for the magical mystery tour.

You steenkin' Canadastanis calm down, there is no beer, no hockey and no back bacon involved (ducks swinging ball bat). ;\)

Well, maybe some...
Posted By: Murph Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/19/09 03:45 PM
I'm out!
Posted By: rprice54 Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/24/09 02:53 AM
Hats off to Jollo for the audition today. Sweet setup, I'm sold!
Posted By: Adrian Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/24/09 03:02 AM
Good to hear!

So who supplied the Cactus Juice?
Posted By: jakewash Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) - 10/24/09 03:14 AM
The Price is Right! \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards