Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aquaboogie How does this setup sound - 05/21/03 08:44 AM
I was wondering what you guys & gals think about this line up.
I have small room but will be buying a new home some time nextyear. So, i am looking towards the future also.
m 60 fronts , vp150 center, (m3t1 or m22ti, or os8).
What do you guys think?

Posted By: ravi_singh Re: How does this setup sound - 05/21/03 01:47 PM
i think you cannot do better. you'll never regret buying that setup.

go for the qs8's as rears. way better than m3's or m22's, in my opinion.

Posted By: BigWill Re: How does this setup sound - 05/21/03 05:50 PM
Have same setup with QS8s as rears. Never heard those little bookshelf speakers, but I can't imagine that they would work better than QS8s for surrounds. They do handle lots of volume well and produce more bass than I would have thought. Anybody try setting those to "large"?
Posted By: Pinoy Re: How does this setup sound - 05/21/03 09:15 PM
I have the M80 which I set as small at the start. When I experimented on setting them as "large", they sounded better for me. Now, my settings are:

M80 - Large
All others - small
Sub - LFE (The LFE+main sounded too boomy for me)

The March issue of Audiofile suggested that you experiment on M50, M60, and M80 by setting them to "large".
Posted By: chesseroo Re: How does this setup sound - 05/22/03 12:49 AM
My setup is the same as Pinoys.
I have my M60s set to large and the rest set to small. My sub crossover is set for approx. 50Hz.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 03:55 AM
Same as Chess in 6.1, except for my EP175.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 04:25 AM
I've actually started experimenting again lately.
I've turned all my speakers to the 'large' setting to allow for their natural roll offs.
Considering that i've got the sub set at 50Hz and only the M60s should cross over any of that frequency range, i thought, why not?
I haven't tried any listening testing to see if i can hear any difference but i suspect i probably will not since the frequency response ratings for my vp150 and qs8s are still higher than the receiver crossover at 80Hz (when used).

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 04:35 AM
I have all my speakers set to large, but I have an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass manager between an Onkyo 797 (used as a processor/preamp) and an Anthem PVA-5 amplifier. I use the stereo subwoofer outs from the Outlaw (Klipsch LF10 and Velodyne CHT10). M60 like front speakers and M50 like side surrounds set at 60 Hz.

Works very nicely.
Posted By: mizer Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 01:42 PM
HI Chesseroo
My Pioneer VSX45TX always sets my M60's to large when I run the auto cal feature of the receiver which sounds best to me. Now I'm adding the 6th channel this weekend and I'll recal and experiment somemore.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 02:08 PM
That's interesting it would do that mizer.
sushi has recently purchased a Pioneer receiver as well and i think he uses that auto-calibration doohickey.

Any comments on this sushi?
Posted By: sushi Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 03:03 PM
Yes, the Pioneer MCACC "automatically" judges whether each of the speakers is LARGE or SMALL, by sending them a series of pink noise and measuring the bass response from each channel. As mizer stated, most floorstanders (including my Hales) and larger bookshelfs would be judged as LARGE, while the VP150 and QS8 are consistently assigned as SMALL. Once this is done, the MCACC will go on to calibrate the levels, delays, and frequency EQs for each channel. So far so good...

A truly great thing about the MCACC is that you can then manually re-select the LARGE/SMALL assignments for each channel to your liking, and the receiver will automatically re-adjust the bass management based on the entire set of the MCACC-calibrated parameters that the receiver remembers. You do not have to re-run the calibration. (So, mizer, you do not have to obey the receiver's assignments, if you do not like them.)

As for myself, after the initial experiments, I currently set all 5 channels as "small," since it seems to provide the best imaging. However, now that I have listened to this setting for quite some time, perhaps I will play around with the settings again, just like chess!
Posted By: mizer Re: How does this setup sound - 05/23/03 05:44 PM
I am going to play around this weedend also with the settings and upgrade to 6.1. It's going to rain on Long Island tomarrow anyway so why not. I really like the large setting for the fronts so far but need to experiment more.
Posted By: jazzdrummer Re: How does this setup sound - 05/29/03 07:19 PM
The M60's will defintely have you ready for the future, but you might want to give it a second though if your room is too small. They need room to breathe (away from walls) and you need to be back a bit from them for them to sound their best.
I have a small (10x17x7) club basement room with M60s and find it fairly hard to get a good placement that allows for the best imaging and a large enough sweet spot for 2 people to enjoy.

normally, I just have them place for just me and I have to say the sound is ridiculously good. The detail in these speakers are great and can truely immerse you in the music (or movie as the case may be).
Posted By: BigWill Re: How does this setup sound - 05/29/03 08:08 PM
Absolutely. While making some connection changes I moved my M60s about 3 feet out away from the wall. Testing my connections I discovered that the M60s sounded much better -more open, louder, better in every way. I hated to move them back to their positions 10 to 12 inches from the wall, but room constraints demand it.
© Axiom Message Boards