Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aspicer1 Acoustical projection screens - 10/29/09 06:10 PM
Has anyone use an acoustic projection screen? I am thinking of mounting my center channel behind my screen using an acoustic screen. I have 2 concerns. Obviously that the sound will be deadened or that since the screens are perforated the visual will be affected.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/29/09 07:23 PM
I believe a good acoustic transparent screen might reduce the overall dB level for the center channel but maybe .5-1dB. When you calibrate your speaker levels you would just bump up that channels levels to match the other speakers.

Not sure if it would affect the sound of the speaker in any way.
I like to look at my speakers, so would not be something I would ever have in my setup. Besides those screens aren't cheap.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/29/09 09:13 PM
I was looking at an Elite AT screen before I decided on a Carada. They did recommend to me to run all three front speakers behind the screen rather than just the center... But in terms of sound quality you do not lose much at all, if anything.

You can't see the perforations from more than a few feet back, and there is a seperate black backing fabric as well to stop light from reflecting back through the backside of the screen.

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 12:03 AM
When we live in an age where people debate whether they can hear the difference with the grills on or off, or the differences between solid state amps, I just can't "believe" that the sonics would not be degraded by something that is sufficiently opaque to reflect a projected image.
Posted By: CV Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 05:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
When we live in an age where people debate whether they can hear the difference with the grills on or off, or the differences between solid state amps, I just can't "believe" that the sonics would not be degraded by something that is sufficiently opaque to reflect a projected image.

Yeah, I was thinking I really wanted an acoustically transparent screen when I moved into front projection, but considering the trade-offs and how expensive they are, I'd say I'm resigned to doing a traditional screen. At this point, I'm thinking single M22 below the screen, but we'll see what happens.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 07:03 AM
I don't disagree the screen has to affect it somehow, I'm just passing along what several manufacturers have told me about their screens. Every movie theatre I've been to uses one so they can't be all that bad.
Posted By: Micah Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 08:05 AM
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the vast majority of movie theaters place the center channel speaker(s) behind the screen?
Posted By: Murph Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 12:31 PM
[quote=PotatoheadThey did recommend to me to run all three front speakers behind the screen rather than just the center... But in terms of sound quality you do not lose much at all, if anything.
[/quote]

The statement that they gave you contradicts itself. It may be a matter of relativity and maybe not enough to worry about but if the screen does not color the sound to any great degree then why recommend that all three get placed behind it together?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 02:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the vast majority of movie theaters place the center channel speaker(s) behind the screen?

Yes. In fact, they place the center channel, left, right, and subwoofer(s) behind the screen, as well.
Posted By: alan Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 03:48 PM
Hi aspicer1,

Try Googling this subject. I wrote about this a few years ago (sorry I don't have the link) but I came across some tests and measurements of acoustically perforated screens done by one of the pro magazines--maybe "Mix" or Studio Sound. There were differences in different brands and one that was clearly superior. If I find the article, I'll post here.

Alan
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 04:27 PM
Yes, Alan, I recall your article but I couldn't find it \:\(

I would expect the screen manufacturers to downplay any effects.

And lots of people round these parts seem to think that their Axiom home systems sound BETTER than their local multiplex, so I'm not sure a theatre is the greatest comparison. Different room, different priorities, etc. etc.

I'm sure it's "fine", and is probably one of the many problems that can be solved by throwing money at it. I just don't "get it".
Posted By: alan Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 04:36 PM
Hi all,

Here is the link to the article and tests done by Bob Hodas for Mix magazine back in 2005. It's interesting:

http://mixguides.com/studiodesign/product_features/new-perforated-screens-0405/

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 04:48 PM
Excellent, Alan. Thank You!
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Acoustical projection screens - 10/30/09 06:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph

The statement that they gave you contradicts itself. It may be a matter of relativity and maybe not enough to worry about but if the screen does not color the sound to any great degree then why recommend that all three get placed behind it together?

Good point
Posted By: Micah Re: Acoustical projection screens - 11/01/09 06:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

And lots of people round these parts seem to think that their Axiom home systems sound BETTER than their local multiplex, so I'm not sure a theatre is the greatest comparison.

Let me just say that all cineplex's are not built the same. I wrote in a thread not too long ago about our local theater expanding and putting two 'deluxe' theaters in with 9 regular ones. The differences range from better seats, bigger theater, bigger screen, etc... but the biggest difference, is the audio set-up. I love my Axiom's, but I don't think I could ever match their sonic experience without adding at least another 10 speakers. It sounds phenominal in both of their main screens.

We went to see 'The Soloist' this summer when it opened on their main screen. The whole movie sounded great of course, but by far my favorite part was when Robert was at home listening to Neil Diamonds 'Mr. Bojangles'... holy crap that song sounded so good in that theater I couldn't believe it. I've listened to it many times before and since, but I've never heard it sound as good as it did in that movie, and expecially in that theater.
Posted By: CV Re: Acoustical projection screens - 11/01/09 06:26 AM
Did you actually watch that movie on another system, or just listen to the song?
Posted By: Zimm Re: Acoustical projection screens - 11/01/09 04:11 PM
Don't forget one important point: good theaters are EQ'd to deal with the screen (and other acoustic) issues. So you can't really compare a home screen to a Dolby level theater that has been customized to eliminate screen effect.
© Axiom Message Boards