Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 02:33 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone around here has any recommended online retailers for purchasing tv/projector bulbs?

My 50" Sony LCD RP TV has 6,013 hours on the bulb according to the service menu. The bulbs are supposedly rated from 4,000 to 8,000 hours so I suspect I may need one soon.

I bought the TV in July 2006.
Posted By: fredk Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 03:30 AM
How did you pull up the lamp hours on your unit? I was wandering through the menus on my 50A2020 the other day and could not find anything.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 03:31 AM
I got mine (for my Samsung) from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/shops/sitlers

No issues. Like the manual said, when it started going..it went FAST.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 04:39 AM
For my Sony 50" Kdfe50a10 I followed the instructions listed over at AVS forum to get into the service menu and check bulb life. It is not within the standard menus. MY directions are below:
In standby mode, press the buttons on the Remote Commander sequentially, in rapid succession, as shown below:

1. Press Display , Channel 5 , Volume + , Power ON

2. To enter BE-micro service menu, press JUMP 2 times.

3. To display the lamp time, press Channel-4.
The screen displays:
“Total lamp time is 14 hours”

4. To display the panel time, press Channel-4.
The screen displays:
“Total panel time is 14 hours”

5. Press (jump) to return to the debug screen

6. From debug screen press (power) to turn the TV off and wait for the bulb to go out

"Standby Mode" means the tv is "off", and the "debug screen" is the first screen you see when you enter the Service Menu.
Posted By: fredk Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 04:43 AM
OK, I'm gonna have to haul my lazy but over to the appropriate thread over at avs.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 04:44 AM
yeah, i just did a search in the "official *TV MODEL* owners thread" I found over there.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 04:46 AM
Found my bulb through a couple of online vendors for about $125-$130. Sony wants $200 for it so they can get lost. I think I'll bookmark a couple of these sellers and order in a couple of months or so.
Posted By: fredk Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/02/09 05:42 AM
Thats pretty good. Last I checked, mine was $300 cdn from Sony.
Posted By: myrison Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/03/09 02:34 PM
David - I've purchased from both of these companies (owned by the same parent company) and never had any issues. Always incredibly fast shipping and close to the cheapest prices I could find online.

DeadLamp.com
LampRescue.com

Jason
Posted By: RickF Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/03/09 06:45 PM
Whenever I enquired about a replacement lamp for our Mitsubishi RP DLP everything I found suggested buying an OEM replacement lamp from Mitsubishi rather than an aftermarket lamp so whenever the time comes I'll purchase directly from Mitsubishi ... the cost difference is fairly minimal.
Posted By: Mav Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 05:59 PM
I bought one for my Sony KDFE42A10 thru Ebay a few months ago. Company is River Valley Electronics, and it cost about US$85 plus US$20 shipping (total was about Cdn$110).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/XL-2400-LAMP-BULB-FOR...=item4143cb4a72

This is the bulb ONLY (you can also purchase one including the housing if you want, but it obviously costs more). Easy to install the bulb in the existing housing. So far no issues.

Beats paying $300 to Sony.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 07:15 PM
What was the process of placing the bulb into the existing housing? just screw it in?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 08:07 PM
Hold bulb still,.....turn TV around
Posted By: Murph Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 08:08 PM
That only works in inverted houses.
Posted By: myrison Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 08:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
What was the process of placing the bulb into the existing housing? just screw it in?

My upgrades were always bulb only too and it's very easy to take the old bulb out and put the new one in. Just took 2 Phillips screws in my case and about 3 minutes of work.

In most cases, there's no need to buy a new enclosure for the bulb as well unless you've somehow mangled yours. Just take a look at the one you have now before ordering to make sure you can see how it comes apart. As long as it's easy to do, just order the bulb.

Jason
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/04/09 08:29 PM
How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

Don't they have machines to do that now?
Posted By: Mav Re: Purchasing a new lamp for LCD RP - 11/05/09 06:04 PM
If you click on the link to the item in ebay which I posted earlier, there is a link to a video showing how to make the change.
© Axiom Message Boards