Axiom Home Page
In a few months, I will be making an upgrade to my Pio Elite 45TX, assuming I still have $$ after my remodel. :0

Love my Elite, may either end up w/ another Pio or a Denon, though I'm open to others. The biggest upgrade is to have HDMI 1.3a switching and support for new Dolby formats w/ my PS3.

At the moment, I'm putting together my wiring diagrams and I'm trying to figure out which AVRs have on screen displays (OSD) via HDMI. In the past, I've had to run an extra composite to support this. But there's a chance, I'll store my AVR in the garage so it's even more important to have full view of the OSD. I no longer have a reason for composite unless OSD forces me into it. Do all new receivers support OSD on HDMI?
I think it depends a lot if the receiver is just a video passtrough or it can also do video processing. If it is a passthrough (or configured to be one) then it will not have OSD. Most (if not all) of the receivers have online manuals. Check the ones that interests you.
Hmm, not obvious in the Denon 3310 manual. Do any of you Denon owners know if the OSD is available via HDMI?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/08/09 08:58 PM
works on my projector, 3808ci
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/08/09 09:54 PM
Interesting to me, but I doubt anyone else, my Pioneer receiver paired with their display will do OSD even when passing through 1080p, because the display generates the information via data sent over HDMI-CEC (Kuro link). But I doubt that applies to most setups, doubly so because most people have CEC turned off.
ah, all the more reason for me to get a Pioneer Kuro before it disappears...
My Denon 2310 does this in full color, also the 1910 does as well, but it is a more simple display. I would imagine all Denons higher than these would naturally do it as well.
Thanks for the input guys.

Another question. Does anyone know of any receivers other than the Denon 4308 that have Zone 2 HDMI out or multiple HDMI output? I want to have my HD Tivo in a main rack and have it drive multiple rooms in the house. If not, maybe someone can suggest a multiple input/multiple output HDMI solution. I see Gefen has some but wondering if there's cheaper ones. Monoprice doesn't seem to have the right ones.
If you want the SAME signal, I use a 20$ HDMI splitter from Monorpice right now that works very well. It can be daisy chained multiple times, at least according to them.
The page at MonoP has main options:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
If you want the SAME signal, I use a 20$ HDMI splitter from Monorpice right now that works very well. It can be daisy chained multiple times, at least according to them.
The page at MonoP has main options:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113

Much thanks! That's exactly what I needed. I have their 1x3 switch, never occurred to me to look at splitters.
What vendors of AVRs are on the level of the Denon 3310?
Also found some Pio Elite receivers w/ 2 HDMI outs. Nice.
Posted By: Murph Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/09/09 01:23 PM
Certainly, my Denon 4806 supports it. Of course the new one's look much prettier. The interface on mine is old school but effective.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/09/09 05:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Hmm, not obvious in the Denon 3310 manual. Do any of you Denon owners know if the OSD is available via HDMI?

For clarity, the "OSD" in Denon-speak is called Graphic User Interface ("GUI").

Pages 14-15 of the 3310 manual address HDMI connections.

On the top left hand side of page 15, the first bulleted item says - "If the GUI menu "Audio Out" Setting (page 36) is set to "AMP", the sound may be interrupted when the monitor's power is turned off".

Since the GUI is being discussed under the HDMI Connections section, there is a pretty good chance that it works with HDMI (as it does with my 3808). You should be OK here.
Thanks Ray. Yeah, found that out late last night. Page 99 had the full table showing options. I'm an engineer and I think I need Robert Langdon a la da Vinci code to decipher that thing. I KNOW an engineer put that table together.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/09/09 08:40 PM

I love the Denon products. Solid and they work well. I have owned enough of them now that I can deal with the manuals pretty well. There are alot of features and nuances that are buried in the products that take some time to find, but are worht the effort.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Do all new receivers have OSD via HDMI? - 11/09/09 08:47 PM
It seems to me that in the last couple of years OSD through all outputs is now done on most of the better receivers out there, Yamaha, Denon, H/K etc.
© Axiom Message Boards